Ukraine Conflict - "Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed"

Mamoulian War

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Well, he is right. But he is not using it to deflect blame from russia, which is what Z did.

Sure, that's one interpretation I guess.  For infrastructure targets, I didn't see the reason for outrage, others have done it and it was okay then. As for incendiaries, eh, everyone has fainting spells anytime a weapon of that class is used (amusing when I recall US media thumping a bit on thermobarics during Afghanistan/Iraq).   If they were smart they'd use WP, then get the dodge card everyone else plays, heh.

That and well, everyone says it's a war crime everytime, assuming every village is chock full of civilians in the 20 second clip.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Surprised none of the usual people are bleating whataboutism at you :lol:

Oh dont  worry we will call out whataboutism when its demonstrated and it will happen again on this thread, some people cant help themselves  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

39 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

Interesting reactions to Putin's nuclear saber rattling:
Zelenskyy thinks that Putin isn't bluffing.
US warns Russia over nuclear weapons use via private channels.

So what options do they have except let him win?

This will be a one big hot spot and everything might be on the table. 

Saw this somewhere. 

Now, I wonder if Russians will pull it off and lift a strat bomber in the air, loaded with the munitions and tell UA to cease fire and withdraw. I expect a really bad scenario. They might want to wait for some good weather conditions to make sure that potential fallout will not reach NATO soil, but even that is not given if there are mad ruskies at the helm... 

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

Would the bomber even make it to its destination? Doubtful. :lol: Russia better use an IRBM.

True, might accidentally fall from the sky on a Russian soil, given the state of some of the equipment, but would the missile had well maintained targetting and delivery mechanism? There is a risk there too! 

33 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Would the bomber even make it to its destination? Doubtful. :lol: Russia better use an IRBM.

Well its destination would probably be in Russian airspace, they've been doing that for the whole war.

Edited by Malcador

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

This will be a one big hot spot and everything might be on the table. 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I doubt anything will happen over Kherson or Zaporizhzhia that Russians have never taken.

Threaten Sevastopol however and we might just see tactical nukes deployed. 

Re. Tibet, though technically there are key differences (Tibet in 1950 was not recognized as a sovereign state by other states, and was not a member of the UN), I'm well-known as a hardliner in support of a free Tibet. I've made remarks to that effect in public academic settings, have a sign on my office door at my university saying "free Tibet," and give money every year to a free Tibet activist group. That's why I can never travel to China because I am sure to be on one of their blacklists and would be subject to persecution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

True, might accidentally fall from the sky on a Russian soil, given the state of some of the equipment, but would the missile had well maintained targetting and delivery mechanism? There is a risk there too! 

In another blow to their strategic think tank, the prevailing winds in Europe travel West to East, so theyd wind up huffing the fallout: Understanding and determining prevailing winds – Trees for Energy Conservation (extension.org)

1 minute ago, HoonDing said:

Africa, South America and most of Asia are rubbing their hands together in glee at the prospect of the West erasing itself from existence.

I doubt it, where would all the people immigrate to when they come from  failed states in those regions?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Import failed states, become failed states? 

Yes that can happen but thats not the intention of immigration. I have heard that argument but it doesnt really make sense 

John Milton 

doubt russia will use one nuke, either they bluff or they have to go all in, one nuke on Ukraine and whole world will eat them alive

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

Sure, that's one interpretation I guess. 

I'm still not sure how quoting the relevant rules direct from the treaty('s list of definitions) is deflecting. It's like pointing out that an 'assault' isn't an assault by citing the legal definition; you can argue that it should be an assault morally, but legally...

Fundamentally I think there's a pretty basic misunderstanding of how such treaties work at play. Treaties are written so as to get the maximum number of people to sign up, not to get maximum enforcement. Indeed, in order to get the maximum sign up enforcement is always weak, and there are always numerous loopholes. See any climate agreement, any agreement on military weapons, the UNSC etc.

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

In another blow to their strategic think tank, the prevailing winds in Europe travel West to East, so theyd wind up huffing the fallout: Understanding and determining prevailing winds – Trees for Energy Conservation (extension.org)

Though that is not what happened with Chernobyl:

nf127ya59ia31.jpg

Russia wasn't uneffected, but other places were far more effected.

Europe doesn't really have prevailing winds in the sense many places do. Look at the same data for Fukushima and it's a stereotypical plume heading out over the Pacific, for example.

• Like 2

Insight to Russian logistics connected to mobilisation…

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours