Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

Not to be unfair to the dude, but I was under the impression that "quiet quitting" was coined by a TikToker, not fat-cats seeking to demonize their workers as lazy.

Or is that just what THEY want me to think? :aiee:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Quiet quitting:

zzz-251.jpg

Office Space warned us about this

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"The Battle of Bamber Bridge"

During the Second World War, Bamber Bridge hosted American servicemen from the 1511th Quartermaster Truck regiment, part of the Eighth Air Force. Their base, Air Force Station 569 (nicknamed "Adam Hall"), was on Mounsey Road, part of which still exists now as home to 2376 (Bamber Bridge) Squadron of the Royal Air Force Air Cadets. The 1511th Quartermaster Truck was a logistics unit, and its duty was to deliver materiel to other Eighth Air Forces bases in Lancashire. The 234th US Military Police Company were also in the town, on its north side.

The US Armed Forces were still racially segregated, and the soldiers of 1511 Quartermaster Truck were almost entirely black, and all but one of the officers were white, as were the MPs. Military commanders tended to treat the service units as "dumping grounds" for less competent officers, and the leadership in the unit was poor.Racial tensions were exacerbated by the race riots in Detroit earlier that week, which had led to 34 deaths, including 25 black casualties. The people of Bamber Bridge supported the black troops, and when US commanders demanded a colour bar in the town, all three pubs in the town reportedly posted "black Troops Only" signs.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I have some thoughts on what might have happened... lol

It's frustrating because the same people (our... politicians...) that will justify increasing wages for our politicians to ensure we get quality people and for some reason that definitely does NOT apply to our educators....

We're having similar issues here in Alberta (and Canada wide I think).

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

still looks not right, i will wait for this:

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

Fc84nVpaUAAnc-l?format=jpg&name=medium

It is England we're talking about. A few centuries makes little difference. If you thought the US has weird laws, how about these English laws (that are still in place, even if not enforced):

1. When a whale or sturgeon becomes beached, it must be offered up to the reigning monarch.
An obscure 14th century statute called the "Prerogativa Regis", or "the King’s Prerogative" gives that all whales and sturgeons found on the coast are technically the property of the Crown.

2. It's actually illegal to be found drunk in the pub.
Ever since 1839, it has been against the law to be inebriated whilst on a licensed premises.

3. For some reason, it's illegal in Scotland for a boy under the age of 10 to see a naked mannequin.
This classic relic from the old "decency laws" we used to have in Britain serves to prevent the corruption of our oh-so-innocent youth!

4. In the Metropolitan Police District*, it's illegal to carry a plank of wood along a pavement.
This also includes poles, ladders, and placards!
*The Metropolitan Police District = all of Greater London excluding the City of London.

5. Easter Sunday must always be the first Sunday after the second Saturday in April.
This is outlined in the Easter Act 1928 and cannot be changed (although IRL it always does).

6. It is an offence to handle a salmon and look at all suspicious.
This is covered by the Salmon Act of 1986... YEAH.

7. It's illegal to walk cows down the street in the daylight.
Under the Metropolitan Streets Act, farmers and proud pet owners are not permitted to walk their cows through the streets between 10am and 7pm, unless they have a note from the Commissioner of Police.

8. Members of Parliament are not allowed to wear a suit of armour inside Parliament!
This is an antediluvian law to stop nobles and other parliamentarians from threatening the government with armed force.

9. Firing a cannon within 300 yards of a private dwelling is a big no-no.
If you're caught playing with your firearm of a greater calibre than a common fowling-piece near someone's home, you could be fined £200.

10. You're not allowed to fly a kite in a public place within the limits of the metropolitan police district.
This one falls under The Metropolitan Police Act 1839, a massive fun-sucker of a piece of legislation!

11. The Metropolitan Police Act 1839 also says that it's breaking the law to knock on someone’s front door and run away.
Remember knock, knock, ginger? Yes? YOU'RE A CRIMINAL!

12. You are not permitted to "linger" after a funeral has taken place.
In 2015, a man was charged £160 for staying an extra 20 minutes after his wife's service had finished because he had prevented the gravediggers from doing their job.

13. There's a law that prohibits the act of gambling in any British public library.
This includes any form of gambling and also foul language!

14. It's illegal to be drunk and be in charge of cattle in England and Wales.
This is basically like the "don't drink and drive" of it's day – don't get sloshed and drive a carriage/ride a horse/herd cattle!

15. It's illegal to jump the queue when waiting in the ticket hall of the tube.
It's a cornerstone of TFL's official by-laws!

16. In the UK, you're not allowed to dress up as a police officer, sailor, or soldier even if it's for a costume party or for the purposes of stripping.
The Seamen's and Soldiers' False Characters Act 1906 renders it illegal for a person to pretend to be in the armed forces, and the Police Act 1996 says the same thing for anyone dressed as a fake copper.

17. It's actually breaking the law to pay with your phone at a drive-through whilst your car is still running.
Say you were to lean over and pay with your phone at a drive-through, and you left your car engine running and handbrake unlocked, you're technically using your phone whilst operating a car and that's illegal in the UK.

18. It is against the law to have a pigsty at the front of your house.
According to the Town Police Clauses Act 1847, it's actually illegal to keep a pigsty at the front of your property unless it's somehow hidden away.

19. It's actually illegal to import potatoes from Poland to the UK.
This dates back to a big scare in 2004 over ring rot outbreaks on Polish farms.

20. It's an offence to beat or shake your carpet or rug in the street in London.
The Metropolitan Police Act 1839 strikes again! You can shake your doormat out, but only before 8am.

21. It's still illegal to allow your pet to mate with a pet from the royal household.
It used to be an executable offence up until the death penalty was abolished in 1965!

22. You are not permitted to slide along snowy or icy streets within the limits of the metropolitan police district.
You can thank that pesky old Metropolitan Police Act 1839 for this one too!

23. You can be fined up to £1000 for hanging your washing across the street in the UK.
Yet ynother statute from that fine Town Police Clauses Act of 1847!

24. And lastly, it's illegal for any cab in the City of London to transport rabid dogs and/or corpses.
And cab drivers also have a legal responsibility to ask passengers if they have smallpox or the plague!

And many more. One of my favourites is this one:

"Yes, as bizarre as it may sound, according to an outdated English law, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman under specific circumstances. Still, there are certain factors that must be present. To begin with, you must be located in York. One of the strange UK laws claims that only in York if they happen to cross paths with a Scotsman, people are allowed to shoot him with a crossbow. Please note, however, that shooting Scots on Sundays remains forbidden. Or at least with a bow and an arrow… The same law claims that any Scotsman caught drunk or armed on Sunday, can still be shot, just not with a crossbow."

From The Guardian:

"Peculiar laws allowing the killing of Scotsmen in York (providing they are carrying a bow and arrow), forbidding anyone from dying in the houses of parliament and permitting women to go topless in Liverpool - if, that is, they work as a clerk in a tropical fish shop - survived the Queen's speech yet again yesterday."

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein