Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

26 minutes ago, Gorth said:

That sounds just as bizarre as that cannibal case Rammstein based one of their songs ("Mein Teil") on 😖

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes aka "The Rotenburg Cannibal"

y'know, an easily overlooked aspect regarding the murder and devouring o' mr. kevin bacon in 2019 is that we have no recollection o' the headline from that time. is not as if we go looking for such stories, but is weird we didn't hear anything when the events was a bit more contemporaneous with what we would imagine were initial reporting. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

25 minutes ago, Raithe said:

The "Magic Roundabout" of Swindon.

320387902_2118321258558875_6767854159586

Apparently, it makes a lot of Americans nervous.

it makes me bit nervous as well, I like roundabouts but man, so many left hand advantage makes me shiver (is it called advantage in english?)

edit: I guess its england so they already drive on wrong side of the road so who cares

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The small roundabouts look confusing when viewed from above, but I checked a YouTube video, that doesn't look so bad. Plus it's not that large. I'd probably try to drive on the right hand side and crash my way through, but that's something else... :p

Try this thing in heavy traffic when you don't know which lane to take:

wien_oben_ausstellung_bildergalerie_gal0

:p

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

The small roundabouts look confusing when viewed from above, but I checked a YouTube video, that doesn't look so bad. Plus it's not that large. I'd probably try to drive on the right hand side and crash my way through, but that's something else... :p

Try this thing in heavy traffic when you don't know which lane to take:

:p

I'll take that instead of Olskroksmotet any day.

Spoiler

It's

olskroksmotet_e20_2209_indesign_klar.png

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

That looks like fun too. :p

It's a nightmare in heavy traffic, coming from the east, everyone needs to go north through the tunnel, north of Gullbergsmotet, and there's a single lane, and noone plans their route properly, so instead of a long and orderly queue you get 3 lanes trying to merge into it at the very last 🤬 second!

I've done it once, and I'm never doing it again, I drive 15km extra around Gothenburg and come in from the northeast instead, it's faster..

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 hours ago, Raithe said:

The "Magic Roundabout" of Swindon.

320387902_2118321258558875_6767854159586

Apparently, it makes a lot of Americans nervous.

I've been in that exact roundabout quite a few times 😂

Even the SatNav in my little Audi A1 at the time struggled to keep up with where I had to go. I think I also somehow managed to run a red light at a pedestrian crossing on one of the exit roads by accident the first time (you can't see it on this particular picture), when I just wanted to flee in sheer panic from the horror that was roundabouts nested within roundabouts 😖

It looks nice when seen from above on a picture, but at road level, with limited (or no, in case of traffic) visibility, local knowledge is definitely beneficial for your continued survival.

edit: I lived in Woking at the time (working from home several days a week), but our office was in Swindon

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

our vote for worst traffic chaos, based on personal experience only, is mumbai. those three-wheel black and yellow cabs ignore even the idea o' lanes and scooters dart in and out from behind busses on streets which narrow inexplicably or lead to "intersections" which we has no vocabulary to accurate describe.  india represented our worstest traffic nightmares, with mumbai being the worst o' the worst.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

We took a cab from our hotel to El Dahar in Hurgada. I have just two words to describe the experience: never again. I mean, that traffic jam is at least slow, the cabbie wedged himself between two other cars and oncoming traffic. On a two lane road. At 150kph.

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

We took a cab from our hotel to El Dahar in Hurgada. I have just two words to describe the experience: never again. I mean, that traffic jam is at least slow, the cabbie wedged himself between two other cars and oncoming traffic. On a two lane road. At 150kph.

You only live once, man.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/002/093/770/fdd.gif

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hahaha, man, the memories. School discos with forced attendance >_<

• Haha 1

The worst driver I've ever met (not traffic, just the driver of the car) was an Indian colleague of mine in Wellington (NZ). He offered a few of us a ride in his car so we could go somewhere. I swear, he drove like he was back home in New Delhi (where he was from) 😰

Probably an exemplary driver by New Delhi standards, but the three of us were scared ****less and made a point of coming up with alternatives afterwards when having to go somewhere 😝

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think my hairiest cab experience was going from fleet landing to Stanley Market in Hong Kong circa 1989-1990. The back of the cab was packed with wasted sailors, he drove like a bat out of hell, on the wrong side of the road, and I seem to remember peering out the window and looking at an open cliff face next to the road with no barrier. Dont remember how we got back. Good times. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I think my hairiest cab experience was going from fleet landing to Stanley Market in Hong Kong circa 1989-1990. The back of the cab was packed with wasted sailors, he drove like a bat out of hell, on the wrong side of the road, and I seem to remember peering out the window and looking at an open cliff face next to the road with no barrier. Dont remember how we got back. Good times. :lol:

"wrong side of the road"... left hand side driving does take a bit getting used to. I was quite nervous the first few times I had to drive a rental car out of Adelaide in the morning rush hour traffic. I got the hang of it eventually and those Ford Falcons (an Aussie favourite) had a sturdy metal frame, crash absorption zones (I can't remember the correct technical English term for them) and airbags, so worst case scenario it would be having to do the embarrassing call to the insurance company. Fortunately that didn't happen. I felt more exposed when I got a motorcycle and had to navigate traffic (including roundabouts) without ABS, airbag or seat belts 😂

I've relayed this history way to many times, I'm kind of sad :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I've relayed this history way to many times, I'm kind of sad :(

This is usually when I introduce the concept of apocrypha storytelling in history to my classes. 😉

My favorite is the middle finger and English Longbowmen.

• Haha 1