Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

The half-assed attitude to safety in some of these incidents is something else.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just so I don't fill up the "what you did today" thread as SWC was going on, I thought I'd do a bit of a picture bomb here:

20230407_083008.jpg

20230408_093152.jpg?width=481&height=641

20230409_094624.jpg?width=854&height=641

20230409_110830.jpg?width=854&height=641

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Very cool! Are you in any of those pictures?

I'm the one taking most of those pictures 😄

I pretty much spent most of my time out of kit, serving as a wrangler for the folks in armour.  If you watch through the series of Death March videos I'm lurking around the outskirts at various parts in my civvies and MMCC handler gear.

However, I did manage to make time to take the throne for a time...

20230410_153443.jpg?width=854&height=641

• Like 5

Just so many things wrong about what went on here.  Checking for flammable vapours with a torch for one.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65259342

"Winds in Ilsa's "very destructive core" could gust up to 275 km/h (170 mph) on Thursday night into Friday morning local time, before the storm moves inland, according to Australia's Bureau Of Meteorology (BOM).

The BOM also warned of up to 400mm (15.7") of rain and abnormally high tides, with the storm's impact felt across a 600km region from Port Hedland to just south of Broome."

Odds are, the world will hear very little (i.e. effectively nothing) about the damages and suffering caused by this cyclone once it lands, as there are no million+ cities in it's path. People may still be killed and thousands be affected, but... nobody is going to know, much less care because it wont sell clicks on the media pages.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The forecast has gotten worse in the five hours since your post and they updated the article:

"The "very destructive core" of the storm will bring "extreme" wind gusts of up to 315km/h (195mph) in parts of the Kimberley and Pilbara regions, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) said."

195mph is nutso!

• Like 2

This channel is hilarious.

"I have heard that at expos, kids sometimes walk away with a Gaboon Viper. Why not give them a revolver?"
"To make this clear, a rattlesnake is a better idea. Not a good one, but definitely better. Rattlesnake bites you, you show up at the hospital, they'll take care of you. It'll cost you $ 100.000, but they'll take care of you. Gaboon Viper? That'll cost you $ 100.000, an arm or a leg and you might still die."

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/emeryville-man-arrested-in-connection-with-stabbing-death-of-cash-app-exec-bob-lee

Apparently it was a very personal attack and they were traveling together. People have been holding this up as an example about how dangerous and lawless San Francisco is, so I'm sure they will all be chagrined to know it wasn't a random act of violence or a mugging by a homeless person. Yes, I'm sure all the people slandering SF will retract their statements. :(

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, majestic said:

"I have heard that at expos, kids sometimes walk away with a Gaboon Viper. Why not give them a revolver?"
"To make this clear, a rattlesnake is a better idea. Not a good one, but definitely better. Rattlesnake bites you, you show up at the hospital, they'll take care of you. It'll cost you $ 100.000, but they'll take care of you. Gaboon Viper? That'll cost you $ 100.000, an arm or a leg and you might still die."

the way he's constantly looking back at it to make sure it hasn't moved an inch is pretty hilarious

not gonna like, seems like a terrible pet, even as far as snakes go; stays still and does absolutely nothing for weeks at a time, and then when it moves it's probably to murder you

maybe you have to be a snake person to "get" it?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

maybe you have to be a snake person to "get" it?

Probably. Even then, no idea why anyone would want to have a pet with two inch fangs and the ability to inject you with enough venom to kill 20 adults that barely moves and is by all means impossible to handle, on the otherh and, there are also people who keep venomous spiders as "pets" - really, there are some things that should just be left to people with professional reasons to have these creatures.

The white king cobra from the other video was at least visually impressive. Not so sure what is fun about a Gaboon Viper, except that it is massive. That IS pretty impressive, but for a pet? Yeah, dunno. I prefer cats, I mean, they'd probably murder and eat you too if they could, but they can't... :yes:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

idk, when I see pictures of giant huntsman spiders just chilling out on walls, I think "eh, at least she actually earns her keep around the house unlike my stupid cat"

giant-huntsman-spider-l.webp

oh who's a good spider, who's a good spider? youse a good spider!

In 14 years of studying Aussie huntsman spiders, I’ve handled many thousands of individuals and been bitten only 11 times

-spider expert

:p

• Haha 4
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 2 weeks later...

bed, bath & beyond is filing for bankruptcy. many stores will be closed. in an effort to raise cash and possible exist post bankruptcy, we suspect rather dramatic fire sales in the not distant future, as early as wednesday perhaps. 

so if you have been considering buying towels, small kitchen appliances or new couch cushions... 

circle  of life and all that rot.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Because there's always time to remember and be amazed at such magnificent characters in history...

https://headstuff.org/culture/history/julie-la-maupin-daubigny-swashbuckling-opera-singer/

Mark Twain once wrote “Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t.” Few things illustrate that quite like the life and career of Julie”La Maupin”  d’Aubigny, the 18th century noble-born openly bisexual cross-dressing sword-fighter and opera singer.

• Like 2

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/04/twitter-verified-fake-disney-account-claims-dead-celebs-subscribe-to-twitter-blue/?

Over the weekend, Twitter applied checkmarks to the accounts of many well-known people who didn't pay for them—including some dead celebrities—along with a message that the accounts subscribed to the $8-per-month Twitter Blue service.

"This account is verified because they are subscribed to Twitter Blue and verified their phone number," states the message attached to accounts with blue badges, including those of Kobe Bryant and Chadwick Boseman. Meanwhile, living celebrities who got the same checkmark made sure to tell followers that they hadn't actually paid for a Twitter Blue monthly subscription or verified their phone number. It would be more accurate to say that Twitter gave free subscriptions to people with a large number of followers, whether they wanted the checkmarks or not.

A blue checkmark on Twitter used to indicate that an account was notable and that Twitter had verified that the person running the account was who they said they were. Now, some famous people who got the checkmark want to make sure that no one mistakenly believes they're giving Musk's company $8 a month. As Slate writes, Musk's decision to remove "legacy" checkmarks and make them a premium feature "turned the blue checkmark into a scarlet letter."