What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

A while back, I wrote this post:

They ended up murdering some of their family instead. I guess that takes care of that. ...At least it wasn't me?

You gotta be kidding?!

Some day you are going to catch a break and have some good things happen. It HAS to. Well, this was good in that it didn't happen to you. Not what I had in mind though. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

A while back, I wrote this post:

They ended up murdering some of their family instead. I guess that takes care of that. ...At least it wasn't me?

Hopefully said person is dead or in jail for a good long time...else it might still be you.  Still though, that's pretty messed up.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still alive, unfortunately. This actually happened a little while back, but I've been waiting to hear on sentencing before I wanted to say anything about it. I still haven't, but I sort of realized that it may take...I don't know, months, maybe literal years before that happens? Hoping for a nice, long sentence (I can't imagine less than 20 years at the absolute minimum, particularly given the level of violence involved - literally caving in people's heads in with a baseball bat doesn't seem like something you get off easily for).

I guess I should also be a little more forthright: this is my brother-in-law that I am talking about. Well, actually, I'm not sure how that works because my sister is also dead. As a side-consequence, we currently have custody of their/his two toddler children, my nieces. It's been a fun last couple of months (...and years).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, you have my sympathies, suppose I should not have been so flippant in my post so apologies for that.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was going to come in here and make a usual flippant/unimportant bloggity post but yeah, wow. I don't know what to say, except that's a horrific situation and can't imagine having to go through it, and I will join you in hoping he gets that long prison sentence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

He killed your sister?

Oh, no, she was dead already from a couple of years back. Well...yes...but no. He was the most major factor in driving her to suicide (her words in the what I guess you could consider a suicide note she texted minutes before her death). I'm not sure if that qualifies as "killing her". Suicide is usually more complex than being able to just blame one person's actions for it, so that's probably not completely fair to him...but on the other hand, I thought he was a psychopath for years and now he's actually a bonafide murderer, so I'm not feeling exactly charitable towards the guy right now.

@Malcador : Don't worry about it, I'm horribly flippant and irreverent about these things myself...most of the time. It's how I deal, but of course, that approach doesn't work for everyone, :p. I've made lots of quips about both my dad's and sister's suicides to friends and family (...though not generally to the faces of those most sensitive to them).

@TrueNeutral : Yes, but am now having to deal with my other sister, who is a diagnosed bipolar schizophrenic, lawyering up and trying to sue for custody of them because she has some sick, twisted delusions about being their "mommy" (???). I am pretty sure it's not going to go anywhere because there's literal years and years of evidence that paint her as a totally unstable individual completely unfit for childcare, but it's something I'd rather not be dealing with right now.

@LadyCrimson & all: Thanks for the sympathies!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

****in hell... my sympathies man, it's an awful situation you're in.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Received an actual hand written letter in the mail from my niece today. Two and a half pages long hand. She is a freshman at Stetson University down in Florida. she is "rediscovering" the lost art of letter writing. Nice stationary, elegant hand writing, etc. I have to say I was both touched and intrigued at the idea. I don't think the art of writing is lost. In my job I am very careful and meticulous in e-mail and business writing/document production. But handwriting it on paper.... been a loooong time since I did that.

So I sat down at my desk and wrote her a reply. Wow. Does my handwriting look like s--t. Was it always like that or am I out of practice? And no matter how many times I tap on the paper with my right hand it won't spell check! WTF? Does anyone know a printer font that looks like real handwriting? Bah... it was a nice idea while it lasted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've thankfully managed to keep my handwriting looking good over the years (Who says pen and paper RPGs are good for nothing? ^^ ), atleast until I got my hand smashed. It's become awful since then since it just hurts to much if I write more than a few words.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

being someone with a complex that made me feel like i'll be made fun of for anything i do since childhood, i never developed a handwriting style. i always tried to make my writing as similar to printed letters as possible

sometimes i feel like the dog that chases it's tail without being aware that that tail is part of it's own body. when i do anything i feel like everyone is judging me and even if i'm completely alone, i feel like there is one me doing it and  another me watching and shaking it's head in shame. this is a state of mind i remember having since i was 8 or 9 years old and by the time i realized that it was a mental disorder i was too old to care anymore.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Received an actual hand written letter in the mail from my niece today. Two and a half pages long hand. She is a freshman at Stetson University down in Florida. she is "rediscovering" the lost art of letter writing. Nice stationary, elegant hand writing, etc. I have to say I was both touched and intrigued at the idea. I don't think the art of writing is lost. In my job I am very careful and meticulous in e-mail and business writing/document production. But handwriting it on paper.... been a loooong time since I did that.

So I sat down at my desk and wrote her a reply. Wow. Does my handwriting look like s--t. Was it always like that or am I out of practice? And no matter how many times I tap on the paper with my right hand it won't spell check! WTF? Does anyone know a printer font that looks like real handwriting? Bah... it was a nice idea while it lasted.

You should have sent a postcard back with a simple "tl;dr"  :p

I've always had bad handwriting. I hand write a ton of comments on projects and papers for students, and they often bring them up to me so I can decode the writing. But that also gives me a chance to talk it over with the students who care enough to find out. :)

Ah, just a few more days until I get back in the classroom. I think I'm ready, it was a very restful summer.

• Haha 1

Got into a fight on the way home from work. One of the foreign summer holiday stand in drivers for one of the forwarder companies at work that has been nothing but trouble for us banged his door into my car. When I confronted him he refused to pay, I threatened to call the cops on him and he started swinging for me.

Wrestled him to the ground and used the old trick of pushing my thumbs into his eyes until he started screaming and crying. He's probably still crying.

• Like 2

Always is odd to come across people that have never heard of things that they really should have.  Talking to coworker about Chernobyl as I have been reading a book on it at work and the guy said he'd never heard of it before the HBO show.  Guy's almost 40 so I'm confused.  :lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Confused 1

How in the world does one not know about Chernobyl? You really have to live far under a mountain.. maybe atop a mountain? - to not have heard about that. Has he heard about the berlin wall falling? =P

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

How in the world does one not know about Chernobyl? You really have to live far under a mountain.. maybe atop a mountain? - to not have heard about that. Has he heard about the berlin wall falling? =P

I'd be surprised if knew there was a Berlin Wall.  Well, still better than the guy that boasted he had never heard of Islam before 9/11

... I'm speechless 😶

Was in the yard the other day and was amused to notice the hubster had placed "hay" underneath all the low lying, developing cantaloupe melons. He's a caring soul.  :lol:

melon01.jpg

Also, a couple of the tomatoes. Most of them grew to over six feet. They are all different varieties, from large cherry sized to average/normal color to those dark green/rust colored types that have become popular in stores lately. Always nice to go out and pick one for a sandwich or a salad.
tomatoes01.jpg

There are also (in other garden beds) long green beans (like the Chinese restaurant dishes variety), cilantro/coriander, dill, jalapeno's (three varieties), and, uh ... a few other things, I forget. He sorta went whole hog and experimented a lot this year. The dried grass/hay seems to help with reducing some types of ground pests. The yard sorta looks like we have multiple swingsets from the quickie/temp metal pole/bar supports he erected to help support some of them. He needs to come up with something a bit less fugly next time. 😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 6
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts