What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

As I say tirelessly, education is much more about skill development than content. You've shown an employer you are capable of showing up and completing work when you show them a degree. You've learned to follow through on a long-term goal.

agree.

we slight disagree with gd, but only slight. yeah, 20 year body o' work should complete negate any consideration o' relative value o' degree.

however, for folks straight out o' uni, and particular for stuff such as engineering, where you get degree matters... a smidge. cal polys will be known to both hurl and gd and we mention 'cause they do a fantastic job o' not only teaching the maths to their engineering students, but is considerable practical lessons being taught at such schools. am honest not certain how some o' these online schools is providing stem degrees 'cause 'bout 1/3 our class time were lab stuff and we were physics for chrissakes. is our recollection the engineers school students spent even more time in labs. yeah, often the most recognizable schools do a terrible job preparing a student for anything other than grad school. however, particular for a few areas o' study in which practical skills is o' great significance, is gonna be a few universities which produce not necessarily better candidates, but at least better prepared candidates. engineering, architecture, etc.

college/university providing degree does matter a bit in some limited instances, but for the most part, am agreeing with hurl 'bout long-term goals.

also, 'cause it shouldn't need be stated, but the information learned at uni should, for many degrees, be the least important stuff learned during years o' study. where you learn the math is indeed relevant. is process which is most important. particular with advent o' stuff such as the internet, info is cheap and easy. takes nothing to find and repeat facts and parrot the opinions o' others. for example, can perfect learn rule o' law from every case ever and still fail every law school class. memorize rules is the easiest part. 

teach a student how to develop arguments and analyze questions happens too infrequent in high school. happens only a bit more often in university nowadays. am gonna grudgingly admit such process learning is more likely to happen in certain environments albeit rare related specific to school reputation. heck, the best teacher we ever had, at any level, were a community college history professor. nowhere school in a subject unrelated to our major and it were the class in which we learned most. 

am thinking we teach kids high school age kids complete wrong. yeah, math has a natural kinda progression, but teach literature and history as is typical (not always) done in US is just flawed. is too much concern with making sure students know more rather than making sure kids know how to learn and how to teach themselves. failure to teach kids important analytical skills in high school means they is unprepared for uni or do not proper take advantage o' the possibilities o' a uni education.

HA! Good Fun!

ps after having checked recent rankings, we change our mind.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/10/24/usnewsglobalrankings2019/

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2019.html

university is all-important. those who graduate from top universities should be catered to and worshipped by the less fortunate masses.

you may kiss our class ring, if we so deign it. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I'm thinking about learning russian. It'd help alot in my work, but I really don't feel like commiting even more to my current job. I mostly get by with pizdets and idi nahui, cyka. It's a bit crude though.

But oh so much fun. 😄

Been trying that for a year, not too bad at it but it is a hard language to learn. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I'm thinking about learning russian. It'd help alot in my work, but I really don't feel like commiting even more to my current job. I mostly get by with pizdets and idi nahui, cyka. It's a bit crude though.

But oh so much fun. 😄

You could move there as a translator!  Unfortunately modern Russia doesn't have the consumer benefits of most Western countries what with sanctions and aggressions and all but the people are decent folk.

Russian workers are a protected class so you can't just go there and reap unlimited benefits, would require a spiritual transformation of sorts.

8 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Nah, not imo. The bar to entry is probably much lower in Boca than Yale, and if I were an employer I would rather have the cream than the dregs.

I'd say that is going to depend quite a bit on the job you are offering. Why is a Yale graduate going for a job that a lesser degree will qualify for? (Although I don't know much about Boca, it seems to be a University with fairly high standards.) I always question the people who come in to public education with ivy league degrees. I find they are either putting in their quick 3 years so they can move onto administration, or they are just not really sure what they want to do. Contrast that to a few of the ladies I have worked with who worked their way through state schools while raising young kids, and there is really no question who I'd rather hire. One is using the job as a stepping stone to something else, and one is committed to a career in the classroom. Og course, the former needs to justify the expense of that Yale university education.

Woke up to this, this morning... thick smoke hanging over Melbourne and the smell of burning wood is overwhelming. I'll end up like a salami before the day is over 😋

(picture  taken by me around 10am)

melbourne.thumb.jpg.d4899530327a0022485ad0214c597d9a.jpg

• Sad 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Been trying that for a year, not too bad at it but it is a hard language to learn. 

I get exposed to it daily, but so far the only things I've learned are some simple phrases and many, many curses 😛

I'd havea real hard time managing it I think, since I'm hearing impaired, most words become a jumble to me.

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

You could move there as a translator!  Unfortunately modern Russia doesn't have the consumer benefits of most Western countries what with sanctions and aggressions and all but the people are decent folk.

Russian workers are a protected class so you can't just go there and reap unlimited benefits, would require a spiritual transformation of sorts.

That would probably be a monumentally bad decision, first of all I'm hearing impaired, and second of all I despise the ruling people of russia ;)

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Woke up to this, this morning... thick smoke hanging over Melbourne and the smell of burning wood is overwhelming. I'll end up like a salami before the day is over 😋

(picture  taken by me around 10am)

melbourne.thumb.jpg.d4899530327a0022485ad0214c597d9a.jpg

Hope you guys get a monsoon soon 😕

Hoppas du håller dig i säkerhet! :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

But oh so much fun. 😄

Why do you really want to learn Russian my friend? Are you sweet on a Russian stripper and you want to impress the parents....nothing wrong with that, I have been in the same situation numerous times :-

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

Hoppas du håller dig i säkerhet! :)

Tack saa mycket Azdeus :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Why do you really want to learn Russian my friend? Are you sweet on a Russian stripper and you want to impress the parents....nothing wrong with that, I have been in the same situation numerous times :-

Well, you try explaining things to an eastern european driver that doesn't speak Swedish or English. I'm tired of having to tell people what to do, see them do some absolutely stupid ****, curse at them and then do things properly. :bat:

I do like to drive, but I've got to think about the bloodpressure man :)

I mean last time I got so furious that I started coughing blood again, and blew out a bloodvessel in my nose. With bloodpressure medicines. Edit; He did look scared as hell though, so that was awesome 😄 

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Tack saa mycket Azdeus :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am honest not certain how some o' these online schools is providing stem degrees 'cause 'bout 1/3 our class time were lab stuff and we were physics for chrissakes. is our recollection the engineers school students spent even more time in labs. yeah, often the most recognizable schools do a terrible job preparing a student for anything other than grad school. however, particular for a few areas o' study in which practical skills is o' great significance, is gonna be a few universities which produce not necessarily better candidates, but at least better prepared candidates. engineering, architecture, etc.

They do that by offering a slightly different study program that awards a different degree. After I finished MDCC I found FAU to be a problem because the CoE offered very few night classes. So I was looking at an online only school, Grantham University. They are accredited regionally and nationally (at that time, not sure about now) and had programs in several engineering disciplines. But the devil is in the details. In the state of LA (and all the others for that matter) require lab hours for a BSEE. So Gratham's program was for a BSEET, Electronics Engineering Technology. Basically all the classroom work with no labs. The degree is not worthless. It's not nothing. But it's not worth the cost per hour when a BSEE costs less on in-state tuition. And it's definitely not going to be as well received in interviews. As a candidate you are definitely less prepared than someone who had their lab time and completed their projects. 

It would be like bringing a cinnamon babka to a party and finding out the couple before you brought a chocolate one.

• Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm getting those  feelings of regret again f rom not finishing my educaiton in electricalengineering. Dammit, need more rum.

Edit; Also, the combination of rum + no bloodpressure medicines lead to very vicios tinnitus.

You have been warned.

It's like bad situation+ bad situation. Should stay the **** away from it.

Edited by Azdeus