Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

Hey yall!

The update went live in the middle of the night, so hopefully that has resolved the issue of the line breaks and mobile forums.  Please let us know if you continue to run into these or any new issues that may arise from the update :)

Thanks again for all the help in getting this fixed!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bugarup said:

Nope, one line limit still

Hey Bugarup,

Would you mind trying to delete your browser cookies for the forums and then logging back in to see if everything works for you afterwards?

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, SChin said:

Hey Bugarup,

Would you mind trying to delete your browser cookies for the forums and then logging back in to see if everything works for you afterwards?

Thanks!

So let's see about this cookie rejection issue...

If that shows up it worked and should be fine. Killing posting requests is still an issue, any new status for that one perhaps? :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I was about to freak out over an email verification when I logged in today (I hate those kind of systems since I don't allow perm. cookies + my email is on a separate PC + I refuse to use a phone for it) but when I closed browser and relogged in a 2nd time it didn't ask for it again. Phew. I assume the new fixes caused it to want verification one more time.

Not that anyone cares, but if that sort of system is ever put in (constant reverify every login) I may disappear entirely. So if ya ever want to get rid of me, there's one method. 😛 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I was about to freak out over an email verification when I logged in today (I hate those kind of systems since I don't allow perm. cookies + my email is on a separate PC + I refuse to use a phone for it) but when I closed browser and relogged in a 2nd time it didn't ask for it again.

Did you do something specific? For one or two days now, I am asked to verify my email everytime I try to log in - be it on my PC, phone or tablet (Firefox, firefox, chrome).

edit. Couple hours later me: it didn’t ask me this time so all good?

Edited by Wormerine

Just to report, I was just now unable to post a reply with quotation marks and italics in it - when I removed those, it posted.

So that issue seems to still exist (if sporadically/not always) for me as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So to tally the active issues right now, let me know if I'm missing anything or misunderstanding something.

1. Disappearing text issue.  Now only happens when using "quotations", italics, or (parenthesis).  Is this correct?
  2. People are being asked to reauthenticate frequently.  I presume this was caused by us updating cookie settings, resetting folks cookies and triggering new authentication.  Folks are fine now, correct?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks everyone!

10 hours ago, SChin said:

So to tally the active issues right now, let me know if I'm missing anything or misunderstanding something.

1. Disappearing text issue.  Now only happens when using "quotations", italics, or (parenthesis).  Is this correct?
  2. People are being asked to reauthenticate frequently.  I presume this was caused by us updating cookie settings, resetting folks cookies and triggering new authentication.  Folks are fine now, correct?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks everyone!

The text is not disappearing, when you try to post you get a white screen with request blocked:

image.thumb.png.9e0c5fe3f58a3e702d8013dd

The issue is potentially linked to some validation attempts where the posted string is checked for signs of scripting attacks, because when it happens it is related to certain characters appearing close to a submitted HTML tag and certain key words in quotation marks. 

Steps to easily reproduce the issue and for further information:

Then there's the ever present problem of the forum being hungry and simply not posting what you typed after hitting submit. This is a separate issue from REQUEST BLOCKED, but the current issues can be used to reliably trigger the post eating behaviour. Basically if anything causes a 403 Forbidden error, the next post before reloading the page is going to disappear into the void without error message:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @majestic!

The Request Blocked issue was apparently a WAF issue on our end that @Fionavar and likely others were running into as well.  This issue should be fixed as of last night, but if you continue to run into it, please let me know :)

As for the forums eating a post on Submit, that one we are looking into now.  I'll let you know once we get a fix in for this one!

Thanks again for the detailed info on these!

7 minutes ago, SChin said:

Thanks @majestic!

The Request Blocked issue was apparently a WAF issue on our end that @Fionavar and likely others were running into as well.  This issue should be fixed as of last night, but if you continue to run into it, please let me know :)

As for the forums eating a post on Submit, that one we are looking into now.  I'll let you know once we get a fix in for this one!

Thanks again for the detailed info on these!

Quotations seem to work now, as per my post above, but parantheses still break the post:

XEhOWc6.png

• Like 1

My posts still get broken by the quotation-period-space combo:

firefox_a93tzAfwZj.png

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Let's see if things work in Chrome again.

Still 100% unusable in Firefox.

Also forced me to re-verify my email address, and if you don't do that login becomes unusable until you clear your browser cache (all of it, nuking cookies/site data doesn't cut it in Chrome)

EDIT: let's see if things work if I nuke all my Firefox data.

EDIT2: well, seems that worked. So just clearing out site cookies and stored session data isn't enough. Whatever was done broke things to such an extent that the only way to sort it out was clearing the entire browser cache. Reallly annoying but at least things appear to be sort of working again.

EDIT3: never mind, still can't post in Firefox at all, but can edit posts made previously in Firefox apparently :(

EDIT4: getting "request blocked" on both browsers today when trying to reply

Edited by marelooke
foo

Hey ya'll!

A bunch of issues including Firefox not working and special characters causing posts to get error messages should be fixed as of yesterday.  We have 1 more fix incoming after some testing today that should also help with the cookies causing posts to get eaten.  I'm hoping we can get that out tomorrow and have everything resolved by that point.  Please keep me appraised if you continue to run into any issues so we can get them fixed up for you :)

Thanks as always!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 12:52 PM, SChin said:

Hey ya'll!

A bunch of issues including Firefox not working and special characters causing posts to get error messages should be fixed as of yesterday.  We have 1 more fix incoming after some testing today that should also help with the cookies causing posts to get eaten.  I'm hoping we can get that out tomorrow and have everything resolved by that point.  Please keep me appraised if you continue to run into any issues so we can get them fixed up for you :)

Thanks as always!

Parentheses and quotation marks issues appear to be fixed. Yay, thanks!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, SChin said:

Hey ya'll!

Thanks as always!

Great news, now please kindly send me your billing address so I can bill you for my time spent testing, the time for writing the bill and the time for this joke post. :yes:

• Haha 4
  • Gasp! 2