Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

For folks actively running into this issue, if you have the time or the desire to check on some things for me, it is highly appreciated, but by no means required.  I just have a list of things that I'm trying to get data on to see if there are any common denominators to see if we can find the issue so we can get it fixed :)

I'll likely add some more things in an edit, but for now these are the data points that might help:

• Location (US or other)
  • (Computer) System Language
  • Web Browser Used
  • How often is the issue currently occurring for you? (Rarely, Intermittently, Often, Always, etc)
  • Have you had the issue in the past and it started working normally again?
  • Are you using Editor options like Quotes, HTML, Bullet Points, links, etc when it occurs?
  • Does this happen on multiple web browsers for you?

Of course any extra information you might think is useful is always appreciated.

Again, sorry for the trouble this annoying issue has been causing.  I'm hoping we can get a fix soon so y'all can enjoy your time here without having to frustratingly copy paste your posts for fear of them auto deleting after starting a new line of text.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2022 at 8:24 PM, SChin said:

For folks actively running into this issue, if you have the time or the desire to check on some things for me, it is highly appreciated, but by no means required.  I just have a list of things that I'm trying to get data on to see if there are any common denominators to see if we can find the issue so we can get it fixed :)

I'll likely add some more things in an edit, but for now these are the data points that might help:

• Location (US or other)
  • Web Browser Used
  • How often is the issue currently occurring for you? (Rarely, Intermittently, Often, Always, etc)
  • Are you using Editor options like Quotes, HTML, Bullet Points, links, etc when it occurs?

Of course any extra information you might think is useful is always appreciated.

Again, sorry for the trouble this annoying issue has been causing.  I'm hoping we can get a fix soon so y'all can enjoy your time here without having to frustratingly copy paste your posts for fear of them auto deleting after starting a new line of text.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

test 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• Location (US or other)
  • Web Browser Used

• Location (US or other)
  • Web Browser Used

• Location (US or other)
  • Web Browser Used

Start of post, then new line; Edit; New line again;

Edited by Azdeus

• Location (US or other)
  • Web Browser Used

Edited by Azdeus
Edge doesn't make any difference

• Location (US or other)
  • Web Browser Used

Posting in Firefox after accepting Social Media cookies and rejecting the others.

Dunno how it's related.

This is the most hilarious bug I've run into in a while. It sure is a top contender for one of he best, but at least I managed to reproduce it now thank to @Azdeus's testing.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Be from Commie-EU-Yurop so the cookie settings pop up.
  2. Switch to Incognito/In Private/Private browsing to make sure you have a clean slate. 
  3. Go to https://forums.obsidian.net
  4. Reject the social media cookie (you can reject all others if you want, but this is the one that is causing the issue).
  5. Log in
  6. Try to post with quotes and multiple lines.
  7. ???
  8. Profit (or facepalm if you're the poor sod who has to fix this :p)!

So, while I am not 100% certain that this is caused directly by rejecting the social media cookie - or rather, not accepting it - it is an easy way to reproduce the issues of our posters. It also neatly explains why it is only posters fom the EU that seem to be affected. There was an issue with the social media cookie settings not sticking in the past too, as @Gorgon and @HoonDing can attest to, for which there als are posts in this thread and a solution was sought.

There is one really, really, REALLY fun thing you can and should do. Once you got the steps down to reproduce it, reject all the cookies, open up Chrome's dev console by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + I,  and try to post from Chrome.

You will find this will actually cause posting to behave normally, until a page refresh (going to some other page, or pressing F5). After a page refresh, it will keep eating lines and quotes until you close the development console again. Either way, the moment the scripts seem to realize that the dev console is open (or thinks it is, when you actually close it), it switches to a debug mode where the problem does not happen.

If you keep the console open and refresh, the posts get mangled again, but other than some minor warnings about deprecated jQuery functions and content policy header settings there is no error to be seen.

Fix for the posters affected is to accept the cookies. Perhaps clear out the browser cache for the forum. At least until it is fixed. Or alternatively, use Chrome and press CTRL + SHIFT + I every time you load a page, but that's certainly really annoying. :p 

Edit: tagging in @SChin

Edit 2: Same behaviour in Edge, not much of a surprise, same basis as Chrome. Does not seem to work in Firefox from @Azdeus's testing. Can't check now, perhaps later.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Hello, thank you for the replay. I've the issue on windows 10 either for firefox and chrome, sometimes one of the two seems work, sometimes it works after a few updates...
Shift + enter is ok for posting text also listings, but I think that in case of multimedia (image or video) it doesn't do the trick... By the way, now I'm using Edge, let's try a new line....
Sorry, was an aswer for @SChin.
Other informations: I'm from EU (Italy), problem now occurs always in WIN 10 with Firefox, Chrome and Edge (latest version).
I don't remember if I accepted cookies or not, I can I try next days from other PC and/or operating systems.

Trying an image for the sake of discussion:

image.png.77a1aa40cd2a61ac93b4bcffd2122add.png

dwys5jl9.bmp

Edited by Chaospread

7 minutes ago, Chaospread said:

Hello, thank you for the replay. I've the issue on windows 10 either for firefox and chrome, sometimes one of the two seems work, sometimes it works after a few updates...
Shift + enter is ok for posting text also listings, but I think that in case of multimedia (image or video) it doesn't do the trick... By the way, now I'm using Edge, let's try a new line....

Open an InPrivate window in Edge, accept all cookies (or just the social media one) and then post from there. Downside: you need to log in and accept the cookies every time you open the window. Upside: should fix the issues, for the time being, and allows for social media tracking... :shrugz:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaospread said:

I suspect that cancel all cookies, re-signing accepting cookies can works with all browser without inPrivate and/or console/Developer window open...

Probably, but there's something wrong with the cookie or the board software's check for it, because some of the posters affected definitely had the social media cookies accepted before the posting broke. Private windows force cookie acceptance every time, but you're right, of course. Rejecting and accepting the cookies through the cookie setup on the bottom of the page should fix the problem too. :)

Hey y'all,

So based on what I'm reading, this is indeed an issue with the cookie settings our Euro friends have?

That definitely helps confirm my suspicions.  I'll have our back end developer look into it.  Should be a bit easier for him since he is also from Europe :)

Thanks a ton everyone!

• Like 2