Weirder, More random, More Interesting.

Amentep

31 minutes ago, rjshae said:

we wouldn't be bothered by a film which draws heavily 'pon Princess Bride, but is not a remake. release a film in 2020 or beyond which clear is homage to princess bride is fine, 'cause am understanding how as much as we love the film, is not fitting with many current notions o' gender and class roles.  

we got nothing 'gainst making a movie where a buttercup (not named buttercup 'course... buttercup is the name a pre-teen girl gives their horse in a book circa 1950) needs save her westley and she is perhaps deaf or dyslexic or something. large % o' movie has folks insisting not-buttercup will fail 'cause she is a girl (even after they see her do stuff which would require superhuman ability) but not-buttercup ignores 'em all and ends up saving the day and kissing the girl. have knockoff version include characters which is obvious homage to the goldman book/movie? didn't mind sir alec guinness playing merlin in star wars. homage is fine. need more characters o' color and a few more female characters would be welcome. am not certain how to do a homage to carol kane w/o having carol kane, but we leave that aside.

if somebody wants to do a film for 2020s that millennial moms will be proud to show their daughters and will recall the whimsy o' princess bride, then sign us up as a supporter. we can be as grimdark as the next guy, but we adored the princess bride book and movie. somebody manages to do movie with similar fun and equal dialogue, then am 100% in favor.

if is simply a remake with a few minor changes to make acceptable to 2020 audience, then am adamant opposed. do something new or don't do at all, 'cause original don't need the inevitable "improvements" it would receive. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Mary Mallory / Hollywood Heights - Schafer Simplifies portraits

The background of the photographer who gave the world "Thou shalt not"

whitey_schafer_thou_shalt_not.jpg?w=554&

For the inaugural Hollywood Studios’ Still Show in 1941, a show created by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to recognize outstanding still photography work, help define professional practices, and promote films to the general public, Schafer decided to create a novelty shot to satirically slap at the Production Code, the censorship standards of the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors Assn. His satirical image, entitled, “Thou Shalt Not,” displayed the top 10 faux-pas disallowed by industry censors, who approved every photographic image shot by studios before they could be distributed.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

23 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

isn't all too clear but is it that big truck owners is protesting the fact electric cars may utilize reserved fueling spots in many locations? see as undeserved environmentalist privilege or something? y'know, 'cause.

that's a thing now?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 9/18/2019 at 4:06 PM, Gromnir said:

if is simply a remake with a few minor changes to make acceptable to 2020 audience, then am adamant opposed. do something new or don't do at all, 'cause original don't need the inevitable "improvements" it would receive. 

HA! Good Fun!

Exactly what I thought when I heard NBC was rebooting Battlestar Galactica. They will only f--k it up. The 2004 was not perfect but it was really, really good. 

When it comes to remakes it's a definite turn off to me. Unless the remake is going to be more faithful to the source material than the original. If a remake of TPB is closer to Goldman's book than the 1980's version then I'll watch. The Cohen Brothers remake of True Grit comes to mind as a "good" reboot because it was more in line with the Charles Portis novel.  Denis Villenuve's Dune remake promises to be the same from everything I've read. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

19 hours ago, Malcador said:

They'll get unstuck. Quite a few hotels may go bankrupt over this. Thomas Cook pays at the end of the year.  So they'll have provided most of a year of services without getting paid. And some of them have had exclusive deals with Thomas Cook, so will not necessarily have the know how to swap to a broader audience. Yeah, never was a healthy business model for those hotels, but still sucks for the staff.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I am so shocked that people driving big pickup trucks would be ****.  

4 hours ago, melkathi said:

They'll get unstuck. Quite a few hotels may go bankrupt over this. Thomas Cook pays at the end of the year.  So they'll have provided most of a year of services without getting paid. And some of them have had exclusive deals with Thomas Cook, so will not necessarily have the know how to swap to a broader audience. Yeah, never was a healthy business model for those hotels, but still sucks for the staff.

Yep, Operation Matterhorn (UK having the US flair for the dramaatic, I guess). 

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Exactly what I thought when I heard NBC was rebooting Battlestar Galactica. They will only f--k it up. The 2004 was not perfect but it was really, really good. 

When it comes to remakes it's a definite turn off to me. Unless the remake is going to be more faithful to the source material than the original. If a remake of TPB is closer to Goldman's book than the 1980's version then I'll watch. The Cohen Brothers remake of True Grit comes to mind as a "good" reboot because it was more in line with the Charles Portis novel.  Denis Villenuve's Dune remake promises to be the same from everything I've read. 

The producer (Sam Esmail of MR. ROBOT) for the Universal/Peackock BSG series says its a new story set in Ronald D. Moore's BSG universe, and reports are that Moore has given the show his blessing.

I hated the pilot movie for Moore's BSG and never watched another minute of it, but good news for its fans, I guess.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^  First/most popular comment under the top video:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. "

:lol:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts