The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

The ending goes similarly to things like Akira and Ghost in the Shell, where the ending is avant-garde and meant to be representative of transcendence. Though I actually liked how it was done in Annihilation way more. Even better though are the ways Interstellar and The Fountain have both skimmed notions of transcendence without leaving an empty mic-drop that doesn't really close off the main thrust of the story. Annihilation closes out the plot of rescue, but basically leaves all the interesting and unique facets of the story as loose ends.

Though it does make me want to read the rest of the series to get a better sense how things fit together.

In your opinion,

was the alien a creature that had the ability to combine any DNA, or was the evolutionary process more of a "force of nature", for lack of a better term?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The ending goes similarly to things like Akira and Ghost in the Shell, where the ending is avant-garde and meant to be representative of transcendence. Though I actually liked how it was done in Annihilation way more. Even better though are the ways Interstellar and The Fountain have both skimmed notions of transcendence without leaving an empty mic-drop that doesn't really close off the main thrust of the story. Annihilation closes out the plot of rescue, but basically leaves all the interesting and unique facets of the story as loose ends.

Though it does make me want to read the rest of the series to get a better sense how things fit together.

In your opinion,

was the alien a creature that had the ability to combine any DNA, or was the evolutionary process more of a "force of nature", for lack of a better term?

I got the sense that it was an exotic physical phenomena that drove a new paradigm of evolution. The alien creature seemed more like a highly focused construct from the refraction of many lifeforms, so I'd imagine any sentience is copied from external sources. The fact that it refracts its surroundings makes me read the alien as being an entirely unique local entity, although one might think other incarnations of such a phenomena exist. My impression was that it didn't exactly have a purpose or meaning, it merely was a process that disturbed that natural order of things.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 2

Just seeing this. That was a...weird trailer. Definitely not what I expected.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

For some unknown weird reason, the mainstream media really, really want "Alita: Battle Angel" to fail - almost as much as they want Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard to fail and lose the Democratic primaries. Even today, the Hollywood Reporter - which is a major publication in the film industry - published an article to specifically attack "Alita: Battle Angel".  This Hollywood Reporter hit piece  is just the latest in the series I have been seeing that have been relentless bashing and smearing Alita.

On the other hand,  the media is already shilling hard for Captain Marvel.  I already know all the critics and the media will give praises and raving reviews to Captain Marvel, which will get over 90% at Rotten Tomatoes, just like how they shilled hard dfor The Last Jedi and Black Panther, (i.e., Black Panther was okay but certainly not as good as the critics made it out to be; it did not deserve the score of over 90% at Rotten Tomatoes.)  It is reminiscent of how the media is shilling hard for Kamala Harris and has already anointed her to be the Democratic candidate and the President.

I know the mainstream media is very dishonest.  Donald Trump may be a deplorable douchebag, but he is right about the media. For a major publication to run an article to smear a movie is something that I do not think I had ever seen before. It is shocking how much the media is gunning against Alita. 

Just two of the many similar videos on YouTube, because people are not stupid and have noticed: "WTF is going on with the critics and media??  Something really fishy is going on here."

Edited by ktchong

There's a really weird bug going on with the forums lately where it tells me someone's posted since I last did, but then I enter the topic and I'm still the latest poster. Strange things...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ah yes, the more useless side of Youtube

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For some unknown weird reason, the mainstream media really, really want "Alita: Battle Angel" to fail - almost as much as they want Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard to fail and lose the Democratic primaries. Even today, the Hollywood Reporter - which is a major publication in the film industry - published an article to specifically attack "Alita: Battle Angel".  This Hollywood Reporter hit piece  is just the latest in the series I have been seeing that have been relentless bashing and smearing Alita.

On the other hand,  the media is already shilling hard for Captain Marvel.  I already know all the critics and the media will give praises and raving reviews to Captain Marvel, which will get over 90% at Rotten Tomatoes, just like how they shilled hard dfor The Last Jedi and Black Panther, (i.e., Black Panther was okay but certainly not as good as the critics made it out to be; it did not deserve the score of over 90% at Rotten Tomatoes.)  It is reminiscent of how the media is shilling hard for Kamala Harris and has already anointed her to be the Democratic candidate and the President.

I know the mainstream media is very dishonest.  Donald Trump may be a deplorable douchebag, but he is right about the media. For a major publication to run an article to smear a movie is something that I do not think I had ever seen before. It is shocking how much the media is gunning against Alita. 

Just two of the many similar videos on YouTube, because people are not stupid and have noticed: "WTF is going on with the critics and media??  Something really fishy is going on here."

It's almost like critics and audiences *gasp* DISAGREE!!!

It cannot be, there must be some conspiracy behind it all!!!

(For the record, I work in the film industry and know several critics personally. No one I know here were ever paid or forced by their bosses to write a "positive" or "negative" review about films they didn't feel that way about. From there, some might agree with a film's politics and be keener to them because of it, others may have contrarian tendencies and often pull off an Armond White... But that is entirely on them, and not on some external behind-the-scenes factor like some creepy cabal puppeteering the press in order to brainwash viewers into thinking X is good and Y is bad. And as someone who was not a fan of The Last Jedi, trust me, I've gotten into quite a few heated arguments over it with those same critics that gave the film glowing reviews. It just so happens that critics, and professionals in any artistic medium, have a very different understanding and appreciation of that medium than the casual viewer or layman, so opinions can greatly differ. And that's all it is, a difference in opinions. Learn to grasp that instead of assuming something sinister is at play. :) )

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Alita: Waifu Angel is awesome, how do you know when a film is awesome? People disagree on it and there's some type of war lol

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

So high quality 90's!!!

Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke in new Western Billy The Kid, the untold story about the kid! Hopefully it will be as good as the trailer suggest.

Unplanned is a movie about one of the top Abortion advocates turning her back on the clinic and sticking up for the baby's life. Looks interesting, also looks very sad... If you have heart.

(referring to some of the last postings)

...I remember trying to watch Creep a month or two ago or something. I got about 15 minutes and then FFwd to the end. And I don't remember the end.

...Ethan Hawke in a Western? I'll rent it just for that alone. Although as usual the trailer makes me feel like I've seen the movie. Maybe I'll forget about that by the time I see it.

...Frozen 2 trailer - I'm going to assume ice-woman is stuck on an island (or just thinks she has to leave and has no boat) and that's her method of trying to escape it. And yes, it's a weird trailer. :p

...The Wandering Earth is one I'm looking forward to coming to Netflix so I can watch it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...Ethan Hawke in a Western? I'll rent it just for that alone. Although as usual the trailer makes me feel like I've seen the movie. Maybe I'll forget about that by the time I see it.

the magnificent seven and in a valley of violence... neither creates a particular longing for another ethan hawke western. 'course we no longer dislike ethan hawke, but am not able to think o' any movies directed by vincent d'onofrio. if we gotta check imdb, that is a bad sign.

is not making us particular curious.  if somebody we know sees the kid, somebody who doesn't like ethan hawke or chriss pratt (pretty much everybody we know already dislikes dehaan) and nevertheless likes it, then we will become intrigued.

relative soon upcoming, am interested in dumbo. the live-action disney remakes leave us flaccid, but dumbo will have us buying a movie ticket as 'posed to waiting to rent. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, can't be worse than Crash.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Green Book for best picture, lol. What a sham.

maybe a sham, but hardly a shock.  roma or green book were frontrunners and roma is a foreign film. blackkklansman were the other possibility.

were kinda a meh year.  we already had this discussion, but other than cold war and beale street, we didn't see any best picture snubs, and we didn't feel particular strong 'bout any o' the actual nominees either.  

meh

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)