The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

Here I thought the inner circle where those who discussed, now I realize it's those who broadcast. I truly am on the outside.

Well this place is largely people talking past each other repeatedly, so...yep. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here I thought the inner circle where those who discussed, now I realize it's those who broadcast. I truly am on the outside.

Well this place is largely people talking past each other repeatedly, so...yep. :p

I think you'll find this space is mostly individuals speaking through one another continuously.

• Like 1

Only the few of us who aren't Volo's alts.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"If I say that only a white person would think of asking a question like this, does that make me racist, or just wrong?"

It is racist and wrong. IMAGINE THAT. Racism is wrong.

JudgiNg or  empHasing someone's race to make a judgement is racism. PERIOD.

All blacks are x is racist.

All whites are x is racist.

Only blacks do x is racist.

Only whites do x is racist.

It is not complex.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hah, Sharpie has been accused of racism plenty of times. He might hold the record for being placed on moderated status here. :p 

But by and large not by the same people who are crying racism now. Which does tell me something about where said posters' priorities lie.

I mean, I've had the guy on ignore since he got here, too, and at this point I guess I'm more or less a progressive - at least for the purpose of the U.S. I didn't remember specifically why I put him on ignore at the time, but what they're saying does sound correct to my recollection (and I do remember a wack-job rant on asians and white women) - I found him, and am currently finding him, to be a rather distasteful poster.

...But then again, I have multiple pages of people on ignore. So that probably tells you more about me than anyone else, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"But then again, I have multiple pages of people on ignore. So that probably tells you more about me than anyone else, :p."

If you are ignoring so many people, why post on a discussion forum? L0LZ

That is, if you aren't ignoring me.

Ignoring someone whose opinion you dislike is weaksauce and shows one's fragility.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I have only 2 people on ignore and our Marx friend Ben is not postin anymore and It seems those hookers Bruce hanging out actually put some sense into him so I am tempted to pull him out :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Ignoring nutters on forums defeats the whole point of a forum. It's to be entertained, after all. And besides, not like we get REAL crazies on here, unlike r/Canada where people seem to believe Trudeau is planning White Genocide :lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Its the internet version of storming off and slamming the door on your way out. It could be done privately but instead members choose to broadcast it to teach the offending posters a lesson. *snapsnapsnap* :lol:

If a troll posts on a forum and everyone has him on ignore, does it make a sound?

Its the internet version of storming off and slamming the door on your way out. It could be done privately but instead members choose to broadcast it to teach the offending posters a lesson. *snapsnapsnap* :lol:

If a troll posts on a forum and everyone has him on ignore, does it make a sound?

Trolls here? I can't imgaine that :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

/ignore

• Like 1

I have only 2 people on ignore and our Marx friend Ben is not postin anymore and It seems those hookers Bruce hanging out actually put some sense into him so I am tempted to pull him out :)

You guys were too hard on Ben. He's just a kid. He's at that point we have all been where his education has exceeded his life experience. That's what makes him a true believer in things that look good on paper but don't hold up to real world scrutiny. Once he gets into college things will even out. Hopefully. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It begins!.....

We've got our second person officially running for President in 2020, a guy with a spanish sounding name that isn't actually latino. He may actually be part latino for all I know as I know nothing about the guy. Only time I've ever heard his name is from an article a week or two ago saying that he said 'People will know my name!'. Any West Virginians around here that can shed a bit of light on him?

The first one is some Maryland lawmaker named John Delaney or something who entered last year, but candidates are REALLY going to start coming out of the woodwork to announce as soon as they can.

**Yes, I know technically the first is actually Trump, but we're talking about challengers.

Edited by smjjames

I've got $10 on Jeff Flake running against Trump. Any takers? I'll give you 3:2.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"But then again, I have multiple pages of people on ignore. So that probably tells you more about me than anyone else, :p."

Ignoring someone whose opinion you dislike is weaksauce and shows one's fragility.

My criteria for ignoring is pretty simple (and no, you are not on it): if you annoy me more than anything else when I read your posts, I don't want to read your posts. I don't go to forums to be annoyed. It is a personal problem, certainly, but it is not really strictly a matter of difference in opinions - for example, although I find Guard Dog to often be on the opposite side of things as myself, I generally find him to be a reasonable poster on most issues and to have an interesting, alternative perspective to my own. So though I nominally have much more in common with ktchong, I am actually way more inclined to read Guard Dog's posts than his. It's way more about style of posting than substance or anything else.

@Jeff Flake: I think he has already commented on doing so. He'll almost definitely lose (Trump's approval numbers within the Republican party are much too high for them to eject him...and further, I am almost certain Trump would run again anyways even if he was, which would just torpedo the entire election), but it does sound like he'll try.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Re: ignore

Ignore is seriously pointless here because if I put someone on it, I just know that some other mother****er is going to quote them anyway so I'm still going to end up reading that **** and get triggered all over the place. Maybe we can get some Microbux earmarked to get that fixed?

Ignoring nutters on forums defeats the whole point of a forum. It's to be entertained, after all. And besides, not like we get REAL crazies on here, unlike r/Canada where people seem to believe Trudeau is planning White Genocide :lol:

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. I mean, you have to ask yourself what kind of genocide is this guy capable of really? He's gonna kills us all—with kindness.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Speaking of Trudeau, he's more or less directly confirmed that the tape of Khashoggi's murder is real.

I'm also having a laugh at the BBC's current series on 'fake news' where they seem to have changed the definition to exclude western disinformation by claiming it has to be about sowing confusion via hoaxes and conspiracies; not just outright lying about things so you get to bomb or invade Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yugoslavia etc etc with minimum complaints. Then they go and talk about Indian Child Abduction videos which are 100% fake news, but not according to their own definition- they're classic mass hysteria rather than designed to sow confusion.

/ignore

'ignore' is for snowflake millennials

'plonk' remains the true classic used by the discerning internet connoisseur.

Posters who ignore Volo are NAZIS. Fact. :p

• Like 5

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've never ignored anyone. But in all this time there has been only one poster I genuinely disliked. I didn't just dislike that SOB, I hated him. That guy had a real attitude problem. 

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of Trudeau, he's more or less directly confirmed that the tape of Khashoggi's murder is real.

I'm also having a laugh at the BBC's current series on 'fake news' where they seem to have changed the definition to exclude western disinformation by claiming it has to be about sowing confusion via hoaxes and conspiracies; not just outright lying about things so you get to bomb or invade Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yugoslavia etc etc with minimum complaints. Then they go and talk about Indian Child Abduction videos which are 100% fake news, but not according to their own definition- they're classic mass hysteria rather than designed to sow confusion.

/ignore

'ignore' is for snowflake millennials

'plonk' remains the true classic used by the discerning internet connoisseur.

Old men, playing at trolling the world. But the world moved on to IRC, which gave us /ignore.

Not accurate at all, but wanted to make a DX reference, was too poor to get Usenet when it was relevant.

was too poor to get Usenet when it was relevant.

I guess that says something about my age, that I still think of forums as this shiny new replacement for usernet. Having fond memories of rec.games.interplay and similar groups :skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein