The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

It would be interesting to see a credible challenge to Trump from within the GOP. I couldn't vote in their primaries (I am not a Republican) but it would be interesting to see. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have only two things to say to those cops: You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm waiting for NRA's white hot outrage.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Cops are douchebags. It is that simple.  I'm not enccessarily for stricter gun control but I say if the pro gun control peeps agree to banning all cops from having guns, I will agree to stricter gun control. DEAL?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Security guard was in uniform apparently - https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/11/13/npr-police-fatally-shoot-black-security-guard-who-detained-suspected-shooter

The cops will use some 'fog of war' type defense, will walk away easily.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And Trump is tweeting he wants to take funding away from California due to "mismanagement" of the wildfires...

ABC News - Trump threatens to pull federal funding for California wildfires due to 'gross mismanagement'

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Cops are douchebags. It is that simple.  I'm not enccessarily for stricter gun control but I say if the pro gun control peeps agree to banning all cops from having guns, I will agree to stricter gun control. DEAL?

You do realize that would mean a near total ban on guns, right? Not neccesarily near total though, just strict laws like the UK has for example and possibly some gun confiscation. The reason why UK police mostly don't carry guns is because they don't need to use them because there aren't all that many guns in the UK.

You can't have the police have no guns while regular people have guns, it's a chicken and egg problem.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"You do realize that would mean a near total ban on guns, right? Not neccesarily near total though, just strict laws like the UK has for example and possibly some gun confiscation. The reason why UK police mostly don't carry guns is because they don't need to use them because there aren't all that many guns in the UK.

You can't have the police have no guns while regular people have guns, it's a chicken and egg problem."

Nope.  Cops get no guns.  Citizens will have to pass a psyche evaluation every x years, lack of violent criminal record, machine guns or anything that can fire a billion bullets in 1 second are out, no guns allowed in gov't buildings including public schools (private schools can deal with it as they wish), and maybe few other restrictive laws that I'll let the pro gun banning lobby get.

In exchange, no guns for cops. PERIOD.

p.s. It is funny too since the people who are pro gun banning are usually anti cop yet when you tell them that cops should be banned from having guns they somehow then defend the cops' 'right' to have guns as seen here.

MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE.

Edited by Volourn

"You do realize that would mean a near total ban on guns, right? Not neccesarily near total though, just strict laws like the UK has for example and possibly some gun confiscation. The reason why UK police mostly don't carry guns is because they don't need to use them because there aren't all that many guns in the UK.

You can't have the police have no guns while regular people have guns, it's a chicken and egg problem."

Nope.  Cops get no guns.  Citizens will have to pass a psyche evaluation every x years, lack of violent criminal record, machine guns or anything that can fire a billion bullets in 1 second are out, no guns allowed in gov't buildings including public schools (private schools can deal with it as they wish), and maybe few other restrictive laws that I'll let the pro gun banning lobby get.

In exchange, no guns for cops. PERIOD.

p.s. It is funny too since the people who are pro gun banning are usually anti cop yet when you tell them that cops should be banned from having guns they somehow then defend the cops' 'right' to have guns as seen here.

MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE.

I would not disarm police. But I absolutely would strip their qualified immunity. That would make them think twice before pulling a trigger I'd imagine. 

As far as gun control, there will be some intrusions at some point. It's likely unavoidable. But confiscation = civil war. Not joking. 

Thomas Sowell

Bullet control is the solution.  Or does that breach the 2nd amendment ?

It's really funny in America

"hey, lets think about some form of gun control due to mass shootings and such"

"NO! That's a slippery slope that leads to tyranny and stripping us of our rights!"

vs.

"hey, let's make it so some people can't vote"  or "hey, let's ignore the rules and strip press of white house credentials if they offend the President"

"Eh, it's no biggie. We're America, nothing can go wrong with this. Just Fake News."

Good riddance. "The press" isnt beholden to be truthful or even factually accurate. Its no different than a glorified internet message board. Im not sure why people think "the press" is there for "the people". :shrugz:

It can depend on the press.

But that just means you clean up the press - setting a precedent to deny access on the grounds used is a dangerous step.

• Like 1

Consideirng much of the media - and this includes  right wing ones like Fox - spend a lot of their time mocking and belittling people including their own viewers that makes it even more laughable. The media hasn't been beholden to the people or the truth for a very long time.

It used to be  reporter would sniff a story and investgate to find facts and report said facts.

Now, they create a story  and only report things that backs up their opinion while eschewing or ignoring facts that don't back them up.

Notice how nobody outside of Fox (TO MY KNOWLEDGE) has talked about Carlson Tucker's family and house being targeted and threatened by never do wells and the ones who do tend to claim he deserved it. And, the one well known 'lefty' who slammed the miscreants was quickly labeled racist, Nazi, and evil. LOLZ

• Like 1

I've never ignored anyone. But in all this time there has been only one poster I genuinely disliked. I didn't just dislike that SOB, I hated him. That guy had a real attitude problem.

Monty wasn't that bad.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's a sad that a rent-a-cop is not only more effective at apprehending shooters than real cops but gets shot after stopping a shooting. So much for being a good guy with a gun.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It can depend on the press.

But that just means you clean up the press - setting a precedent to deny access on the grounds used is a dangerous step.

Iyo, how would you go about cleaning up a racket that is accountable to nobody and constitutionally protected to say anything they want? Call them out on it? Get them to print a retraction, weeks later, on the back page, in small font?

It is kinda weird that CA has been on fire for like a decade. I cant recall the same happening in any other state?

Happens all the time in Australia, which has a similar climate to Ca. Personally I'd stake money that it happens elsewhere in the US as well, and probably about as frequently on a like to like basis, but there are a lot less people living in those places.

Trump may have a bit of a point about fire management- fires in Australia and California are 100% natural and 100% inevitable even if some are started deliberately; the problem is people having houses in the fire prone areas and, historically at least, governments trying to stop all fires. The biggest fire preventer in a an  area is to have had a recent fire as that clears underbrush and the like, but controlled burns tend to be unpopular due to smoke and you get in trouble if the wind changes direction and strength and the fire jumps a break.

• Like 1