Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pathfinder RPG Kingmaker

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

.... is releasing in August.

Do you think it could be as successful as D:OS2?

Do you think it may outsell Deadfire?

Do you think it will compete with Bard's Tale IV which is coming on September the 14th?

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4955 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm expecting a game somewhat comparable to ToEE, except using RTwP (unfortunately). It may take time to build an audience, but I'm looking forward to playing it -- if only for the DnD-like ruleset implementation. Hopefully it'll be fun.

• IndiraLightfoot, Agiel and kanisatha like this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8905 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
No to all 3 questions, but I doubt it needs big numbers to be a success.
  • ShadySands likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7225 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
It's made by a developer I've never heard of before and, while the Pathfinder name does carry some recognition, I don't expect it to break any sales records, though I think it will sell well enough to make money overall.

Mainly, I just want it to be a good game. I have high hopes.
  • IndiraLightfoot, the_dog_days, Sanjid099 and 1 other like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7225 posts
Double post please delete

Edited by Keyrock, 13 July 2018 - 01:16 PM.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

It's made by a developer I've never heard of before and, while the Pathfinder name does carry some recognition, I don't expect it to break any sales records, though I think it will sell well enough to make money overall.

Mainly, I just want it to be a good game. I have high hopes.

Sums up both my hopes and my trepidations.

Edited by Agiel, 13 July 2018 - 12:54 PM.

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
No, no, and no. No to the first two because it's a game by an unknown developer that is not getting a lot of marketing (if any?) and I don't think the Pathfinder license has enough pull to give it an edge over the D:OS and PoE franchises, and no to the third because I don't think it's the same audience.

However, the popularity of the D:OS and PoE games might help this end up being more successful than BT4 -- I think that game is super niche and don't really see it having any kind of success outside its kickstarter campaign, really.

As for myself -- I'm cautiously optimistic. I've wanted a isometric, party-based D&D 3.5e CRPG for ages and I quite like the Pathfinder setting and atmosphere (I even enjoyed Obsidian's card game quite a bit). I really, really hope it's good.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 756 posts
At the long run it may be more succesful than Divinity. Divinity struggled for some time for it's audience.
It won't be a problem to outsell Deadfire as the sales were dreadful. Steam sale right after release helped but it seems PoE2 was a flop.
Not really a Bards competition as the releases are apart considerably so people won't have to choose one or the other as they will be paid from separate salaries. Also the ocerlaping audience of RPG fans tend to buy all the titles and rarely skip a good game.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It can't outsell D:OS2 because it is a single player game and sadly these days multiplayer is the holy grail of digital gaming.

I think it will do quite well. I backed the game, and it looks to be really well done. Really looking forward to it.

• Dorftek likes this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Hmm, I think they could still get lucky.

The biggest RPG coming out over the next few weeks is the definitive Edition of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and there is still some nostalgia about D&D 3.5. Pathfinder is also quite successfull if I read it correctly. Summer is also the time, where the big releases are at hold, so why not? 100k sold units should be in there for them.

Let's wait and see.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7225 posts

Pathfinder is also quite successfull if I read it correctly.

Pathfinder is very successful. There was a 3 or 4 year stretch where it actually outsold D&D (during the 4th edition period aka The Dark Age).
  • Rheios likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5174 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've watched a few beta play vids as of late, and the game looks interesting enough, and D&D 3.75? Count me in.

Bill Gates' Son

Bill Gates' Son

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts

At the long run it may be more succesful than Divinity. Divinity struggled for some time for it's audience.
It won't be a problem to outsell Deadfire as the sales were dreadful. Steam sale right after release helped but it seems PoE2 was a flop.

A niche crpg game from a less popular studio with barely any advertising and lower crowdfunding money is going to outsell PoE.  Great logic there.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son, 15 July 2018 - 05:40 PM.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1032 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

.... is releasing in August.

Do you think it will compete with Bard's Tale IV which is coming on September the 14th?

1) No 'cause DOS2 has been one of the best selling of the crpg resurgence.

2) No 'cause the studio, regardless of how popular the pen and paper is, isn't a known, unlike Obsidian.

3) No 'cause Bard's Tale is a known franchise by a known dev (I say this despite being kinda indifferent towards Wasteland 2 and outright disliking TToN).

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 756 posts

A niche crpg game from a less popular studio with barely any advertising and lower crowdfunding money is going to outsell PoE. Great logic there.

Question was about PoE2 which flopped hard. PoE had decent sales but nothing that cannot be ouselled by a good title. We will see in the nearest future.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3578 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

From where do you get all the info, that PoE2 flopped hard?

• kanisatha likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3578 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

A niche crpg game from a less popular studio with barely any advertising and lower crowdfunding money is going to outsell PoE.  Great logic there.

Pathfinder crpg game has a pretty big following on Paizo boards (maker of the PnP game) and the closer to release, I bet, they will write some official blogs on their mainpage to support marketing of the game. So I think, because of the popularity of the PnP, and some people buying left and right everything PF related, it has pretty nice chance of success, even though it is made by unknown developer.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 756 posts

The most trustful sources Codex and reddit.

neotemplar

neotemplar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts

Strong No.

DOS level of success = extreme sales and wide recognition (media and mass gamer praise) 

On P:K level success is "well, it was good enough" game with small, but stable fanbase - very possible

We don't know Deadfire sales, and won't know P:K sales (thanks, Steam) and speculation without numbers is pointless, but I'll say - no

Obsidian repute adds too much, Owlcat games are debutants, they were involved in some meh russian games, and rumors are that they have a giant corp mail.ru after them (the one that rules PUBG and Warface in Russia, has very dirty reputation, but tonns of money, Russian EA to be simple). Still, they don't seem to get any media support from this giant, only money, as some say

Still they are a dark horse and I try to be careful with them.

Do you think it will compete with Bard's Tale IV which is coming on September the 14th

Sure yes. Will compete because genre is very different, will compete because InXile has seriously damaged reputation after Wasteland and especially Torment, will compete because P:K is a "serious" grounded narrative game, and Bard's Tale will be lighter, more parody and comic element. They don't deliver the same type of experience, and some ppl will consider choosing. 

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3578 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

The most trustful sources Codex and reddit.

Other than that? I know it's Codex's wishful thinking for PoE2 to flop, because of Avellone drama, but are there actually any numbers behind that claim? I am really curious, because I like both games, and I would not be very happy, if the IP would go six feet under...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users