The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Looks cool but I assume at the time of its functionality that it had a roof? 

Well that photo looks like it was shot in the Precinct of Amun-Re, so no from what I know it wouldn't have had a roof.

(Of course, I might be mistaking my parts of the Temple of Karnak....)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, there are a whole slew of pillars in line like that. So with drift, you just have to shift a few "corridors" over to have that same sort of line I imagine...

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Normally I would just hit close tab or move on, not really liking most of these compilation youtube videos, but watching the first 60 seconds convinced me this one was actually worth watching. Some really stunning things taking place there....

(edit: yes, the front picture is pure click bait which is why i ignored it at first, a friend had linked me to it)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Opening the coke bottle with a chainsaw was pretty good.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hmm, Im suspicious that the stars lined up in that exact position ~4000 years ago when it was built. But maybe thats not long enough for a big drift in position? They must have done it for some reason!

Iirc, Earth's precession takes 26000 years, so it's strange that it looks like that today. Unless, like Raithe says, you can just move to another corridor, in which case that is a very smart design.

Well, there are a whole slew of pillars in line like that. So with drift, you just have to shift a few "corridors" over to have that same sort of line I imagine...

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Opening the coke bottle with a chainsaw was pretty good.

The lorry and trailer was the best to me.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hmm, Im suspicious that the stars lined up in that exact position ~4000 years ago when it was built. But maybe thats not long enough for a big drift in position? They must have done it for some reason!

The Milky Way isn't aligned with the celestial equator, so I think it's a matter of waiting until it rotates into the right spot.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Dunkin Donuts is changing it's name. https://www.businessinsider.com/dunkin-drops-donuts-but-invented-word-2018-9

I get the feeling IHOP is over here saying "I wouldn't do that if I were you"

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That was obvious when none of the locations changed their signs. They still caught hell for it though.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

https://www.marylandzoo.org/news-and-updates/2018/09/injured-turtle-at-the-maryland-zoo-fitted-with-customized-lego-wheelchair/

Who doesn't love when a beloved toy/computer games staple becomes something life-changing for something super-cute?

A student manage to do a fully functional and quite well working wheelchair for a turtle!

1538008790002.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

And after some google-foo, I actually learned that other turtles have gotten lego wheelchairs too, before. Wow!

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***