Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

I finished first season of Cobra Kai, its epic

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Watched "Annihilation."

Its slow, trippy (and sort of depressing) pace keeps you watching because "wtf is happening."

For a little while, it turns into a horror movie.

Then near the ending it goes back to sci-fi and "wtf is happening."

One of those ambiguous leaves you wondering endings.

I can't say it's a good movie, exactly, but it is one of those movies that has you thinking about it for a while afterwards.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I enjoyed it, the source material seems fascinating. I want to read that series. Artistically it's stunning. I think the film was really a drama thriller all the way through, and what seemed like a horror intense moment was just the film iterating on all the sorts of things the shimmer can produce. The beautiful and the horrific.

The ending I think was most spectacular in terms of sound design, and really the whole movie. As far as sort of semi-ambiguous endings I really like it. I don't mean the final frame, more the events of the final act. I was fine with those being ill-defined and rather alien. The final frame I think actually ties everything together if you interpret right, and isn't all that ambiguous. Although it was sort of a cliched visual to represent the notion which could have been done in a better way.

Just back from Solo, over all I quite liked it. I thought it was better than TLJ and maybe a bit better than Rogue One. It had a handful of lines which felt overly forced but the overall structure of the film was an enjoyable ride. I had a drink before hand, and I'd probably suggest doing so just so it's easier to cut the film some slack.

Han and Lando where definitely the highlights.

It being better than TLJ was all I needed to read.

To consider going? To dismiss my taste in film? Usually I add a few grains of salt to everything I read.

To consider going.

lol I should have specified.

• Like 1

It looks better than the latest live action movie, which was pretty sweet on it's own.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

If you liked any of the Jurassic films, you'll probably like this one. Plot's a slightly more interesting retread of The Lost World but the script is decent until the ending, and it's got some of the best dino action since the original. It's also by far the most gorgeous, and I'm not talking special effects - though the real life animatronics were spectacular - the cinematography is outstanding. One scene in particular was hauntingly sad and beautiful.

I'd say it's the best since the original, but I'd also say that the original is still the only movie in the series that's actually a good film. Decent first half, stellar second half that's got actual tension for the first time in the series since the original, weak ending and some subplots that are awkward as heck.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

If you liked any of the Jurassic films, you'll probably like this one. Plot's a slightly more interesting retread of The Lost World but the script is decent until the ending, and it's got some of the best dino action since the original. It's also by far the most gorgeous, and I'm not talking special effects - though the real life animatronics were spectacular - the cinematography is outstanding. One scene in particular was hauntingly sad and beautiful.

I'd say it's the best since the original, but I'd also say that the original is still the only movie in the series that's actually a good film. Decent first half, stellar second half that's got actual tension for the first time in the series since the original, weak ending and some subplots that are awkward as heck.

I'll see it just because I was raised to be audience chattel for this sort of film, ultimately I feel they've chosen the wrong path thematically. Weaponized dinosaurs is the ultimate wankery, I want it to be man vs nature. Not man befriends nature against nature shaped to man. Which is ultimately just man vs man. They could explore so much more of prehistoric life, but it's got to be the flightless dragons get genetically modified...

Like I said, I'll be seeing it.

So.... as usual, I am right. I predicted that Solo would flop and be the first Star Wars to flop and by all accounts, on all levels was a failure and a flop. Disney took a loss.

Everyone told me I was wrong "A Star Wars movie will never flop or lose coin...."

Meh, as I said before people are getting tired of Star Wars period. Even Disney/Pixar movies and Marvel movies will flop.

https://youtu.be/2sSVE-mWSAE

And the lame excuse of "They don't make em like they use to" and/or "This is why the old movies will always be better" is ignorance speaking. The new Star Wars movies clearly have more depth, better characterization/character betrayal, better acting and special effects than the older movies (this is very obvious) so quality of film and writing has nothing to do with why Star Wars is flopping. Legacy is clouding judgenents here it seems but that just proves me rightso all the more.

Why is a Bumblebee spinoff a thing?

Why is a Bumblebee spinoff a thing?

Well... at least Starscream actually looks like Starscream in this one. To be honest, I could care less about the quality of story-telling (that's never been the high point of Transformers or their movies).

I just want them to get character designs right this time. I don't want to look atthe big screen and say "Why does Starscream look like that?" The easy out would be "Simple. Because of design choice" but here's the thing, the old character designs for Decepticons are actually better and scarier than the movie ones. Then again, those unfamiliar with the classic designs probably wouldn't notice anyway.

https://youtu.be/DViNqamyg_k

For the fans, it does matter and it should dictate the initial vision of the film. Especially since fans of the films have dropped off and the remaining fans are of the origins cartoons. So I say "Get the designs right, next movie you can focus on anything else" - that's about the wisest bit of advice we can give them.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

And the lame excuse of "They don't make em like they use to" and/or "This is why the old movies will always be better" is ignorance speaking. The new Star Wars movies clearly have more depth, better characterization/character betrayal, better acting and special effects than the older movies (this is very obvious) so quality of film and writing has nothing to do with why Star Wars is flopping. Legacy is clouding judgenents here it seems but that just proves me rightso all the more.

I just want them to get character designs right this time. I don't want to look atthe big screen and say "Why does Starscream look like that?" The easy out would be "Simple. Because of design choice" but here's the thing, the old character designs for Decepticons are actually better and scarier than the movie ones. Then again, those unfamiliar with the classic designs probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Emphasis added by me. What a schizophrenic post.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yep, positively Brucesque.

Solo flopped because it had a stink about it (and greatly increased costs) from the reshoots/ director swaps, it was released after Infinity War and Deadpool 2, and TLJ was a divisive movie that a lot of the fanbase outright hated, and there was very little advertising for Solo. Being released six months rather than a year after TLJ did not help at all.

The more subjective reasons are that while Solo was on paper a great idea for a fill in film- popular, mysterious, character in both sequels and original movies- in practice it was not since it had to recast the most iconic of Star Wars actors, and there was reduced need to fill in the details of Han's early life now since he's, well, dead. That makes it even easier to skip.

Star Wars under Disney has been very poorly run, a movie a year is far too much unless you're going to do notably different styles- difficult with Star Wars since people have expectations- and they absolutely needed to have JJ do the whole sequel trilogy if he was doing the first. Now they have TLJ that threw out most of the dangling threads of TFA unceremoniously, and the guy who ran the first has to pick up and run with whatever he can salvage of his original vision- though given JJ's history with Mysteries® is worse resolution and planning wise than M Night Shylamwhamwollawollabingbang's that may not be so huge a shift. If you're going to have directors with opposed views like JJ and Johnson they have to be doing separate projects or you're going to get a mess. If you're going to do side projects they either have to be smaller scale and accept smaller box office potential, or have a direct hook to the other projects. There's no tension in Rogue One or Solo because you know the Death Star plans will be stolen and Han won't die, there would be no tension in an Obi Wan movie since he cannot die in it etc. The only mooted movie with potential tension is the Boba Fett one and that has other potential problems.

• Like 1

Emphasis added by me. What a schizophrenic post.

It's not schizophrenic, I just took liberty to save people time from asking those particular questions. You would do well to thank me and follow my example!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Star Wars should have been the cream of the crop bi-annual series to counter balance the annual grind that is Marvel. It astounds me there are enough people in the film industry to put out as many pictures of this caliber as they do. Especially with heavy sfx work, practical and digital.

Solo's marketing was very underwhelming, I'm not surprised it reviewed as bad as it did honestly, almost none of it's jokes land. Probably the worst tonal imbalance of any star wars film. At least AotC/RotS knew it was trying to be Shakespearean.