You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

I would end up printing new buttons for my car and stuff like that. And a new heater knob for my work vehicle. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think I might actually be retarded. I chance met a former work colleague and I couldn't for the life of me remember her name. So I just gave her two thumbs up and smiled like a moron and got out of there.

Why does this happen to me. 

To be name retarded is to be human.

• Like 1

Haha! Quite true :)

Worked, met some friends after work. Watched them watch Overwatch streams, went home. Now here. Quite uneventful. The weather lately has completely wrecked the skin of my hands, I've got so many cracks in the skin on my knuckles that's bleeding that when I went up to the office to fetch coffee my boss thought I had finally snapped and killed a driver. XD

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

After printing more legos, spindles, lettered blocks, and various other little do-dads, hubby printed a chess rook, something like this one:

3Drook01.jpg

Nothing really exciting, but it did have me thinking that oh, I guess I could use it to print out a whole RISK set, or missing Monopoly houses, or other game items like that. Finally, something I might actually use the thing myself, for! ;)

He's mostly been using other people's object programs but he tweaks them and is trying to learn how to write his own. I'm starting to think I won't be "seeing" my husband much until summer.

Sorry I'm confused, what do you mean with other people's object programs and he starting to write his own?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sorry I'm confused, what do you mean with other people's object programs and he starting to write his own?

I don't know if I'm using the right terms, it's just what I say. I don't mean write a program per se, sorry.

You need a 3D model file that tells printer what to print/how to move to create but you can make adjustments by altering parameters in the software program (of which I know nothing about, I just see hubby fiddling with numbers and text lines on the screen....), to correct or alter  to a degree.

Making your own model files I guess needs a 3D scanner (?) or digital photos+software help (?) or uh...I have no clue...which hubby hasn't started fiddling with yet. So he downloads other people's object-model files and tests/starts with those. He's still testing and calibrating the printer for accuracy and tech stuff... Eventually of course he'd want to make his own 3D model files "from scratch" for his specific things. If he continues being interested anyway. Judging from the varying quality/accuracy of the models people offer for download, it isn't the easiest thing to do well. Heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Most 3D model files are distributed online in .obj form, or "object" as most 3D software is capable of reading or importing them. Also, not many people make models yet using scanning/imaging technology, at least not for online distribution. Most are made from scratch using either polygonal modeling tools like Maya which is more of a "block by block" process or more artsy sculpting tools like ZBrush which is something like digital clay.

If you or your husband are interested in making models, check out a video of ZBrush. It hardly needs any experience other than a few tutorials to get started making basic models. Though it is easier if you know your way around a drawing tablet like Wacom - a mouse is a bit annoying to work with. I believe ZBrush even has some built-in tools for 3D Printing nowadays, but I've never looked into those so I don't know if they're any good. I have some friends who swear by it though, one of them's made bank designing printable miniatures for people.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for official results for my first semester to come out at the end of the month, I've gotten a couple of provisional marks for some assignments in which are all 1sts or 2.1s, and I'm feeling slightly odd that everyone is saying I should be happy/excited over that and it really isn't.

The two units I've got to do besides my research paper for this semester are both heavily theoretical, and the Security Management is not being taught in a really conductive manner, which is making me struggle getting the report for that started.

We haven't got any real feedback on our research paper outlines yet, which makes it awkward to go ahead on that.. and realising there's only about 3 months left of semester 2 in which to get it all done. Which includes a whole batch of questionaires to be answered and analysed. That and I haven't actually had to make a presentation in about 15 years, so that's going to be somewhat interesting to figure out.

Hm, and apparently I'm realising I have a bunch of unresolved emotional issues with my ex which are flaring up this weekend and putting me in a rather odd headspace. C'est la vie. C'est l'amour.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Most 3D model files are distributed online in .obj form, or "object" as most 3D software is capable of reading or importing them. Also, not many people make models yet using scanning/imaging technology, at least not for online distribution. Most are made from scratch using either polygonal modeling tools like Maya which is more of a "block by block" process or more artsy sculpting tools like ZBrush which is something like digital clay.

If you or your husband are interested in making models, check out a video of ZBrush. It hardly needs any experience other than a few tutorials to get started making basic models. Though it is easier if you know your way around a drawing tablet like Wacom - a mouse is a bit annoying to work with. I believe ZBrush even has some built-in tools for 3D Printing nowadays, but I've never looked into those so I don't know if they're any good. I have some friends who swear by it though, one of them's made bank designing printable miniatures for people.

Not in the tinkering community, but 3d scanners are used by factories in China to scan 3d prints of models done by freelancers. Its because most CAD can't import 3d file formats as solids or surface making it impossible to work with them.

@Lady Crimson:

I thought that you meant that but the wording threw me off, specially since technically you can write the g.code and "program" a print.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I finally have a new tenant in my townhouse. Yikes that was a long time. Paying that mortgage without a rent income to offset it was a real pinch. I was supposed to turn the garden this weekend and start fertilizing for  the spring plant. But it's raining, the Olympics are on, the couch is so comfortable, looks like that ain't happening today. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Not in the tinkering community, but 3d scanners are used by factories in China to scan 3d prints of models done by freelancers. Its because most CAD can't import 3d file formats as solids or surface making it impossible to work with them.

@Lady Crimson:

I thought that you meant that but the wording threw me off, specially since technically you can write the g.code and "program" a print.

True, but that's usually some corporate thing. Free models for 3D printing found online are generally handmade. :)

Well, I know nothing about any of all that. I'm just your proverbial housewife who goes into the garage, watches the hubster do stuff, asks a few questions, usually immediately forgets the answers, and teases/encourages/chuckles the spouse's hobby. :biggrin: I often do find his thingies interesting but only on a surface level.

So I went in today and mentioned these posts a bit, which elicited some longwinded responses which I half-listened to and then I asked him:

--"Are 3D scanners expensive?" ... to which he said sure, commercial ones would be, and how his client started using them recently (their use of 3D scanning apparently results in HUGE files that are hard to work with even with multiple GPU's) and then went on with:

--"Which is why I've been researching how to make my own."  :disguise:

...that's my hubby in a nutshell. He'll take apart your gizmo to see how it's put together then go out and try to build one from scratch. And he usually succeeds - altho, it's not always the most practical success - but he can still say he "made one, that worked." Hah.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I finally have a new tenant in my townhouse. Yikes that was a long time. Paying that mortgage without a rent income to offset it was a real pinch. I was supposed to turn the garden this weekend and start fertilizing for  the spring plant. But it's raining, the Olympics are on, the couch is so comfortable, looks like that ain't happening today. 

Do you use a realtor? When I was renting out my property, Century 21 iirc, would charge 10% of whatever the rent was + all repairs and they would do everything from vetting the tenants to calling in the plumber. For me it was totally worth the cost to not have to do any of that and to be honest, I just jacked the rent up to cover the cost of the their services. 

I do. They handle showing, vetting, contracts, and payments. It's a flat fee once the lease is signed then 3% a month for account management. But I handle all maintenance except landscaping. The association does that. I actually take a small loss on that place every month even when I have a tenant. So I'm really betting on market valuation to make that investment. I offered to sell it to my previous tenant. They were nice folks. No luck though. Real estate is starting to heat up around here prior to last weeks interest rate noise. Well see what comes of that though. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Awoke at 9am.

Housework/beef roast in the oven.

Internet surfed.

Laundry washing.

Old photo albums glanced through.

Laundry drying.

Old files on the PC browsed.

Raked the yard.

Don't feel like gaming.

More old files on the PC browsed.

4:20pm, dinner's in an hour or so, not quite sure what to do now.

Later: probably some movies.

I'm hearing a very dull bass beat through the walls. Someone close by is listening to "music" apparently.

Am in half a mood to counter. My very nice SoundWorks subwoofer here can make glasses fall off the shelves. Two doors down. :yes:

edit:

Oh, wow. I'm hearing Gigi D'Agostino's Bla Bla Bla through the walls. There's good retro and then there's... that. :facepalm:

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Beats hearing your neighbour play Rock Band and seeming to do nothing else than play Faith No More's Epic. Endless reptitions of "What..is..it?! It's it! What is it

?!" :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A little over 2 weeks without cable and I'm starting to get the itch. No, not really. I'm loving it. Hulu live has everything we watch on TV and I already had subs to Netflix and Amazon prime so it's not an extra cost there and now I pay less than half of what I paid before.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Comcast Business in my area has been pretty stable re: outages. They still throttle, however. ComcastTV I could do without tho, as I've probably previously said. Especially since it feels like their billing cycle system works out to 15-16 months per year vs. an actual 12. Never tried to figure out if it's really true, but it sure feels that way.

=======

Our in-wall heater broke - pilot light refuses to stay lit. You light it, turn a valve back, it goes out again. So most of the time it's been 50F-55F in the entire house the past few days, instead of just my office/gaming room. If you're dressed no big deal but a bit chilly if you're not under blankets for this aging Californian who dislike clothes. Late afternoon enough sun on the roof brings it up to around 65F. But mostly, it's the hubster who's whining since he's one of those that puts on a jacket at the slightest sign of a breeze or cloud. He tried to figure it out/fix it but while he could probably juryrig a lightsaber in the garage, finicky gas furnaces aren't his area...haha.

Anyway, power company came out, looked at it for 30 minutes, said "this valve thingie here is probably broken" then further went on that "they're not allowed to fix anything much these days" and to get a contractor. Guess everyone gets sued too often. All righty then.