RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - 'NON-FAKE-NEWS EDITION'

Rosbjerg

:lol: "Im right, youre wrong."

Does ~40H take on another meaning outside of MMO's? I see nobody has bothered challenging that everything is avaiable to everyone at no monetary charge, just squealing over the time committment. You should try to massage into your story how you are concerned about gambling, it will give it more weight. :lol:

Does ~40H take on another meaning outside of MMO's?

Inside of MMOs, aren't 40H grinds typically reserved for endgame time wasters that only exist to kill time until the next update? At which point the grind is trivialized. Because everyone knows the game isn't all that fun, but you got to keep them playing anyway.

Probably why I hate MMOs.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I love games that I can finish in one sitting but today is not that day. I am playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 and I already know from the map alone that it's going to be Witcher 3 long hours type of quality content. Here I go, this will be the very first game I put 200 hours in in a long time... loooooong time.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Inside of MMOs, aren't 40H grinds typically reserved for endgame time wasters that only exist to kill time until the next update? At which point the grind is trivialized. Because everyone knows the game isn't all that fun, but you got to keep them playing anyway.

Probably why I hate MMOs.

I suppose it eventually comes to that. But I cant tell you how many times, over and over, Ive rerun a dungeon or raid trying to upgrade just one piece of gear. Or completed the same goddamn dailies hundreds of times to get my reputation high enough to buy a particular; enchant/gear/pattern/recipe. None of those things are reserved for end game raiding. Would I like everything the game has to offer to be unlocked while in character creation? Hell no! But again, grinding doesn't put sand in my crack. To others it does and I completely understand.

I suppose one persons "soul crushingly long and boring" and "completely unreasonable" grinding is another persons ~40H of gameplay. :thumbsup: I would have punched a baby fur seal in the face to have "only" 40 hours work to get the best gear in WoW.

Well...you can do that in WoW now, actually. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Some of us find any amount of grinding to be completely reprehensible - there's also the fact that these types of games never used to be designed with it in mind, and now suddenly they are because companies figure they can make money off of the people who don't want to. If you're going to introduce a crappy free to play model in your game, please don't charge the additional $60 to buy the game to begin with - as I said before, that's just double-dipping.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Some of us find any amount of grinding to be completely reprehensible - there's also the fact that these types of games never used to be designed with it in mind, and now suddenly they are because companies figure they can make money off of the people who don't want to. If you're going to introduce a crappy free to play model in your game, please don't charge the additional $60 to buy the game to begin with - as I said before, that's just double-dipping.

Ah ha! The golden ticket has emerged! So this type game usually provided the players 100% unlocked everything immediately after rolling your character? If so, then I can better understand the hand wringing.

I'm somewhat torn about the SW thing.  On the one hand, I understand the frustration of having content locked out under a lengthy time commitment.  On the other hand I can think of quite a few single player games that had lots of grinding in them to beat ultimate bosses - is this really all that different but geared to multiplayer gaming? 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think the majority of people who play these sorts of games look at them as being pickup-and-play: you don't want to spend the first 40 hours of the game getting crushed because either you got the game later than everyone else or because a slew of people just bought their way to better stats. I certainly don't want to be concerned with that crap - I never would've played Team Fortress 2 if the only class you started with was the Soldier and you had to grind 40 hours for some in-game currency for each additional character unlock. It's such a crappy experience. (Similarly, after Team Fortress 2 started adding dozens of alternative weapons that you either had to buy or grind for, I quit playing...that, and because all the alternative weapons were making it difficult to play casually because of all the random crap that you couldn't really plan for anymore due to the sheer amount of stuff in the game.)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

:lol: "Im right, youre wrong."

Does ~40H take on another meaning outside of MMO's? I see nobody has bothered challenging that everything is avaiable to everyone at no monetary charge, just squealing over the time committment. You should try to massage into your story how you are concerned about gambling, it will give it more weight. :lol:

Haha, that's pretty rich, considering that your go-to routine is basically a fake "guise guise halp me understand pls" passive-aggressive self-affirming wankfest where you ridicule other people's opinions of things you know literally nothing about. Good show bud. laugh.jpeg

And 40 hours? Try closer to 1200 hours for a similar level of achievement as "top tier gear", in a game with a fraction of content as that of WoW's.

• Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I like the Valve model of monetizing competitive multiplayer games (DotA2, TF2, CS:GO). The games are free and you get every hero, weapon, and ability right out of the gate; you literally cannot buy anything that can give you any competitive advantage. And yet Valve makes money hand over fist from these games. How? Hats! Everything Valve sells is purely cosmetic, and they're making a fortune doing it.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Uh, except the dozens of alternative weapons that you either have to grind for or buy in TF2, Keyrock. Some of them play similarly to the default weapons, but a whole lot of them don't.

Haha, that's pretty rich, considering that your go-to routine is basically a fake "guise guise halp me understand pls" passive-aggressive self-affirming wankfest where you ridicule other people's opinions of things you know literally nothing about. Good show bud. laugh.jpeg

And 40 hours? Try closer to 1200 hours for a similar level of achievement as "top tier gear", in a game with a fraction of content as that of WoW's.

Actually, if I ask a question about anything its 99% legit me wanting to know the answer. That's why I take the time to "like" the responses of posters who take the time to answer.

Regarding ~40H, that's what the article says, perhaps you will read it? Nah, its more fun to rage into the internet. Tears of a clown. :lol:

Regarding ~40H, that's what the article says, perhaps you will read it? Nah, its more fun to rage into the internet. Tears of a clown. :lol:

There are 16 heroes. So that's over 600 hours - maybe a couple of them are unlocked by default, and maybe some of them are a little less than 40 hours? That's still an utterly ludicrous time commitment to unlock your freaking basic classes in a game of this type.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

you don't want to spend the first 40 hours of the game getting crushed because either you got the game later than everyone else or because a slew of people just bought their way to better stats.

Do we really know Luke & Vader will have significantly better stats, or is it speculation based on their prominence within the original stories that make people assume they'll be unbalanced in game play?

EDIT - I also believe EA has announced they're lowering the 40hrs to 15 for Luke and Vader, then 10 for the others (and 5 for one of them?)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Uh, except the dozens of alternative weapons that you either have to grind for or buy in TF2, Keyrock. Some of them play similarly to the default weapons, but a whole lot of them don't.

To be fair, those started off as achievement unlocks, then eventually they added random drops of actual items (not crates) in addition to the unlocks. Then if you weren't getting what you wanted they added the ability to craft things into other things.

It was all free updates adding content beyond the base game, and continually responding to criticism from new players who had less "generational wealth" who wanted the ability to get the items that they wanted. All the way to up to adding an item stores and going f2p eventually. Which was certainly necessary at some point if they were to justify free updates.

Imo TF2 is one of the all time greats, especially before it went f2p. I respect basically everything Valve did with the game until the stupid Golden Wrench bull****. Which was an attempt to get people to craft away their inventories before they godfathered all items in under vintage status and started to have item rankings.

you don't want to spend the first 40 hours of the game getting crushed because either you got the game later than everyone else or because a slew of people just bought their way to better stats.

Do we really know Luke & Vader will have significantly better stats, or is it speculation based on their prominence within the original stories that make people assume they'll be unbalanced in game play?

EDIT - I also believe EA has announced they're lowering the 40hrs to 15 for Luke and Vader, then 10 for the others (and 5 for one of them?)

Reading more elsewhere, we know that, at the very least, Darth Vader and Luke have special force abilities (I read that Luke specifically has force pushes and force speed/rushes). I don't know about general stats - I presume we'll know more on release.

As for EA, yeah...after the internet raised a hell of a ruckus and whined until all our ears bloody fell off. Goes to show once again that screaming and whining like petulant children can absolutely have an effect. Personally, I think it's all still baloney...but I'm not the target audience here.

Edited by Bartimaeus

To be fair, those started off as achievement unlocks, then eventually they added random drops of actual items (not crates) in addition to the unlocks. Then if you weren't getting what you wanted they added the ability to craft things into other things.

It was all free updates adding content beyond the base game, and continually responding to criticism from new players who had less "generational wealth" who wanted the ability to get the items that they wanted. All the way to up to adding an item stores and going f2p eventually. Which was certainly necessary at some point if they were to justify free updates.

Imo TF2 is one of the all time greats, especially before it went f2p. I respect basically everything Valve did with the game until the stupid Golden Wrench bull****. Which was an attempt to get people to craft away their inventories before they godfathered all items in under vintage status and started to have item rankings.

Yeah, at the time, I was okay with the achievement unlocks because they didn't take too long to get (and actually, it was utterly trivial to cheat your achievements via the Steam Achievement Manager and/or the achievement unlock servers), but when they added the store and crates and piles of non-achievement weapons is where I really started drawing the line and quit pretty shortly after. Things really only got worse from there.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Actually, if I ask a question about anything its 99% legit me wanting to know the answer. That's why I take the time to "like" the responses of posters who take the time to answer.

Oh, look. It's you again making fun of people "raging" at X. Yeah, we can't all be as cool as you in your apathy about everything that doesn't affect you. It's a heavy cross to bear.

The article says that unlocking one hero is estimated to take 40 hours. One (1). But then you made an irrelevant comparison to top tier full gear in WoW.

Maybe take your own advice and re-read the article, and possibly the original Reddit post it links to, seeing how it's plain you didn't understand what's being talked about, yes?

Again, have you played any of EA's games featuring their wonderfully consumer-friendly microtransaction schemes? (Y/N)

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Oh, look. It's you again making fun of people "raging" at X. Yeah, we can't all be as cool as you in your apathy about everything that doesn't affect you. It's a heavy cross to bear.

It is indeed, but I'm here for you.

The article says that unlocking one hero is estimated to take 40 hours. One (1). But then you made an irrelevant comparison to top tier full gear in WoW.

Huh? There are 14 equipment slots associated with a single WoW toon. Each of which must be grinded to achieve the top level gear for that slot.

Maybe take your own advice and re-read the article, and possibly the original Reddit post it links to, seeing how it's plain you didn't understand what's being talked about, yes?

Now the goalpost has shifted to unlocking every single thing in the game? Impressive young Padawan.

Again, have you played any of EA's games featuring their wonderfully consumer-friendly microtransaction schemes? (Y/N)

Y...wait...N....*sails off bridge of death* I haven't played any EA games but I do play a ton of games on my phone. Almost every_single_one_ offers micro transactions to speed up the getting of the stuffs. :thumbsup:

Now the goalpost has shifted to unlocking every single thing in the game? Impressive young Padawan.

I haven't played any EA games but I do play a ton of games on my phone. Almost every_single_one_ offers micro transactions to speed up the getting of the stuffs. :thumbsup:

1. The system likely works the same as Rainbow 6: Siege's, where only one person can be a specific character at a time - as such, if everyone owns Luke but you haven't grinded another 40 hours for another character (and presuming nobody has chosen them too), congratulations, back to the trash can with you. So yeah, unlocking additional characters is indeed very relevant.

2. Ahh, and here's the problem. See, most of the rest of us don't want normal gaming to turn into the radioactive waste dump that is mobile gaming, :p. Also, yeah, what Shady said above.

Edited by Bartimaeus

If mobile games cost 60 bucks would you still be okay with the micro transactions? How about if they weren't as bad or there was less of a need for them in previous games?

Hmm, that's a tough question to answer because I don't consider it an apples to apples comparison. Mobile gaming doesn't offer anywhere near the same content as PC gaming (PC games are much more expensive to make, so they correspondingly charge more for the product), but even then, every PC game I play requires me to grind to get the best stuff. I only mentioned it to point out that I know what micro transactions mean to a game. I don't use them in mobile gaming either, I just grind.

I'm not even sure what's being argued anymore so let me summarize this situation as best as I understand it:

1) Previous SW games unlocked 100% of the gear and characters just for buying the game.

2) Now it does not.

3) Everything can be obtained without spending another nickel, but it costs anywhere from ~5H to ~40H for each upgrade.

4) Because it is now no longer free and instantaneous, some gamers are upset. I can commiserate with this. 

Is that about the gist of it?