Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - 'NON-FAKE-NEWS EDITION'

• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4928 posts

old thread here

So what's new?

marelooke

marelooke

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 806 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did I miss the discussion about Runic getting shut down?

Pretty sure those who cared enough opened the article and got as far as: "China-based publisher Perfect World", and then went: "Well that explains everything"...

I mean, we're talking about the Chinese EA here. Heh, or even the one company that I might consider worse than EA. Them having a stake in Digital Extremes (Warframe) worries me to no end.

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3043 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah. I think that was my reaction as well.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6781 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock

Perfect World also run the Chinese DotA 2 servers and they are well known in the eSports community for hosting the DotA 2 Shanghai Major, widely regarded as one of the most disastrously poorly run major eSports events of the last few years.  It was so bad that, ever since then, whenever there are technical problems during a DotA 2 tourney people either joke that we are on Perfect World servers or that we got Shanghai'd. So, yeah, Perfect World don't exactly have a sterling reputation, for a variety of reasons.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
"NON-FAKE-NEWS EDITION"

Yes, I suppose I noticed a bit of that going on as well.

Anyhow, this is pretty exciting!

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Out of all the digital market-place companies out there, looks like Sony is the only one who could outfox Valve... I'm impressed.

Edited by SonicMage117, 06 November 2017 - 09:35 PM.

• redneckdevil likes this

Katphood

Katphood

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1604 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This was fun to watch.  :lol:

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6781 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock

The GotY Edition of HITMAN released today, including the bonus campaign, new outfits and weapons, and access to any elusive target people might have missed if they didn't buy episode 1 immediately when it first released (you don't get to redo failed or completed elusive targets, though).  In even better news, IO Interactive CEO Hakan Abrak let it slip that a new Hitman game is indeed being worked on.

"One last thing about our next Hitman game; I want to let you know that we’re making great progress and we have exciting new features and some franchise firsts, which we can’t wait to tell you all about. You’ll have to wait a little longer as we don’t plan to start talking about that until some point in 2018." 

giphy.gif

Edited by Keyrock, 07 November 2017 - 07:26 PM.

• Katphood likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3094 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
Voice Actor strike ended.

https://arstechnica....after-340-days/
  • Malcador likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

They got a lot of what they wanted. A job well done to them, I think.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Lol, the companies just used scabs while everyone was on strike, and nobody noticed. I wonder why they caved?

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Voice Actor strike ended.

https://arstechnica....after-340-days/

Sounds like a fair deal, also far better then the original demands for royalties that some of the big VAs were putting forward.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3094 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Lol, the companies just used scabs while everyone was on strike, and nobody noticed. I wonder why they caved?

The thing is, that most of the games, which were affected by the strike are still in development. I bet we'll notice the effect much more in a year or two.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, there are so many great voice actors out there that have never been used in video games, just as good as Troy Baker or anyone else.

I suppose they caved purely for the reason of legacy and reputable status. Some people don't care but there are also some that would be more likely to buy a game if it had someone familiar or well-known doing the voice overs. The gaming community is awfully picky these days... with everything :/

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts

i noticed

Edited by Bartimaeus, 08 November 2017 - 05:50 PM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7000 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Probably as people did notice ?
  • Bartimaeus likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3094 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, there are so many great voice actors out there that have never been used in video games, just as good as Troy Baker or anyone else.

I suppose they caved purely for the reason of legacy and reputable status. Some people don't care but there are also some that would be more likely to buy a game if it had someone familiar or well-known doing the voice overs. The gaming community is awfully picky these days... with everything :/

Being picky? Bad voiceacting can completely destroy atmosphere. Be it game or movie. That is the reason, I never watch dubbed movies or shows. The voiceacting for Slovak commercial televisions is mostly attrocious.

Same with games. You either bother to make quality VO or make none. Bad voiceacting is worse than none at all...

Bad voiceacting is for me a reason to refund a game...
  • Bartimaeus likes this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I was wondering why they were on strike, because VA is extremely expensive.
Isn't most VA done in like a single or a few sessions? 8 hours of work and u want a cut of the cash when people who have literally slaved over the game for many months or years don't even get a cut. Smh.

Also bad VA doesn't bother me really I guess because I grew up in the 80s and 90s.

Edited by redneckdevil, 09 November 2017 - 03:08 AM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts

u want a cut of the cash when people who have literally slaved over the game for many months or years don't even get a cut. Smh.

I think most of us would like to see better working conditions for video game developers, too. Not likely to happen until mass unionization happens, and attempting unionization in the tech sector is a career death sentence at this time.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Being picky? Bad voiceacting can completely destroy atmosphere. Be it game or movie. That is the reason, I never watch dubbed movies or shows. The voiceacting for Slovak commercial televisions is mostly attrocious.

Same with games. You either bother to make quality VO or make none. Bad voiceacting is worse than none at all...

Bad voiceacting is for me a reason to refund a game...

I wasn't talking about when voice acting was bad, I was talking about when people are picky to the point where they don't buy a game because it uses a different voice actor.

When Kojinma replaced David Hayter with Kiefer Sutherland in MGSV The Phantom Pain, fans were angry, however when the game finally came out they found that despite being a completely different voice, it didn't give Snake or Big Boss a different tone or change the quality of the game, some people will refute it - strangely.

I agree that bad-voice acting can ruin any game but if we're being honest, games didn't get any worse/better voice actors during the strike. So I highly doubt the reason was because gamers said anything about it.

Edited for bad English.

Edited by SonicMage117, 09 November 2017 - 09:42 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users