RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - 'NON-FAKE-NEWS EDITION'

Rosbjerg

Now the goalpost has shifted to unlocking every single thing in the game? Impressive young Padawan.

The goalpost hasn't gone anywhere. It's just you realizing how your comparison to WoW's gearing grind is wholly inappropriate.

The 40h figure presented in the article was meant to represent not the total grind time (which you assimilated to by comparing it to how long it takes to acquire top-tier endgame gear), but merely an arbitrary milestone to help you understand the scope of the grind, by giving you an idea of what it costs to hit a target that is understood to be desirable by most players in a SW game. Newsflash: these heroes also have unique abilities with several tiers which you upgrade through, you guessed it, lootboxes.

Remember, this game is not a F2P MMO. Even though given its monetization model, and considering EA's statements on their business model, the only way to tell may be by the amount of content.

Frankly, it's hilarious that you're trying so hard to make it look like you can't understand why people aren't impressed that the only alternative they have to having their time wasted is to engage in virtual gambling. Other than not playing the game at all, that is.

I haven't played any EA games but I do play a ton of games on my phone.

Yeah, I also own a phone. Any other irrelevant details you'd like to share with us? Go and play Andromeda, grind for a few hundred hours, report back with your findings. Maybe then you'll have an "argument" to make that isn't 100% of the PIDOOMA variety.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

40 hours to unlock something which was free in the last title no less - and you might be all right with that, but they've proven again and again that they will push it further. Do you want games to cost 100$ with 2/3 of the content behind a grind or paywall? I don't...

On top of that the paywall is even chance based, you want to unlock Vader faster with cash? Well you better hope and cross your fingers you don't just get few lowtier xp boosts for that $ you spend.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

So whats the carrot in a game where everything is unlocked at install? How did one improve themselves in SWBF the first?

How does one improve at anything? Practice.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So whats the carrot in a game where everything is unlocked at install? How did one improve themselves in SWBF the first?

People played Quake 2 a lot, no ?

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Old school Battlefront/II operated on the Counter-strike model. Your unlocks are based on your performance within a match. Just like buying weapons at the start of a match and accruing money, you had to unlock the more advance kits in BF. Heroes were likewise unlocked per match based on performance.

• Like 1

When someone says that those hours is a big deal, I can tell they don't play these types of games or know people who do because the average person who plays a mp competitive game like Battlefront, CoD or Team Fortress 2 has around 500-2,000 hours (take a look at the statistics). 40 hours isn't really anything to a person playing a game like Battlefront 2 if we're being honest... and I'm sure if someone is going to get Battlefront 2 they're going to be smart enough to know ehat they're buying in the first place.

The thing is that it's all preference, not reality of it. A game which "forces you" to out in 40 hours or more doesn't make it a bad game or the devs bad people in any way. The thing here i that you don't like that the dev said "You have to" if they never would have said that, the offended person would have spent 200 hours not knowing the different. Why don't we just leave it at that?

I do agree that the limitation and coin-flip structure is horrible and anti-playerism but that's a totally different thing together.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Old school Battlefront/II operated on the Counter-strike model. Your unlocks are based on your performance within a match. Just like buying weapons at the start of a match and accruing money, you had to unlock the more advance kits in BF. Heroes were likewise unlocked per match based on performance.

I very much liked that system better.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Oooooh, it plays like Overwatch? Everyone is available all the time, just pick a toon (and their associated powers) and jump into a match. I frequently watch my kid play that...always hoarding coins for new skins. Doesn't change the characters abilities at all, purely cosmetic. But would probably be upset at suddenly having to earn coins just to play the character. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2000 hours is 12 strait weeks (23% of the year.) It's far more if you only count waking hours ~18 hour days.

Even at my most hardcore, 500 hours on a single game over the period of a year was a lot.

It's not normal to expect that much of an average consumer. People are in school, have kids, or otherwise.

• Like 1

Ah so everything was free the first game. That makes a difference when there is a large departure from the previous model.

Everything wasn't free, they had paid dlcs for maps and the like. They were a disaster as they fragmented the userbase and BF1 was a content poor game so boring and low interest without the added content which they provided no incentive to get. BF2 is far more content rich, and won't have paid dlcs so there should not be userbase fragfmentation and it should have a longer shelf life. The dlc revenue model has been replaced by the microtransaction/ lootbox model.

However the real comparison that does the damage is to the original 2000s Battlefront 1 & 2 games from LucasArts. They had more content and game styles, and due to the time they were made no microtransactions and the like. They also hold up very well today and GOG just remastered them (they did the steam version as well, so there's even crossplay) to add a non defunct GameSpy native MP.

• Like 2

Decided to spoil myself of the Battlefront 2 story...

Surprise, surprise, the Imperial protagonist goes over to the Rebel side. Because of course under Disney we can't have a fully developed TIE Fighter-style campaign from the perspective of the Imperials

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

For me the problem is not the unlock portion, I get that .. some of the eariler BF games did that in a very reasonable way. It's enticing players to pay money after they've forked over 60$, unless they want to grind 40x12min for the content and especially that pay being chance based. 

I specifically avoid MMOs because of the grind, I avoid games with gambling elements like mobile games and when you mix both of those elements, in a series and genre that used to be about the competition and cooperation - well, then I'm out.

Fortune favors the bald.

Decided to spoil myself of the Battlefront 2 story...

Surprise, surprise, the Imperial protagonist goes over to the Rebel side. Because of course under Disney we can't have a fully developed TIE Fighter-style campaign from the perspective of the Imperials

OMG. Teh plot twist!!11 

Also, 1.1 user score on metacritic?! Damn, this game died in its crib and no one will be missing it. I bought the original Battlefront: Ultimate Edition for 5 bucks on sale a few weeks back, maybe I'll try that.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Reading about the horror of playing for 40 hours to unlock a character in a game....while I'm looking at a 28 DAY cool down before I can learn my last flame staff recipe in eso...

You just need to wait for that, not grind for it. Kind of a bonkers cool down though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's a cooldown to make you come back, while that battlefront thingy is to make you keep playing.

I don't like either, but then again, I'm usually not playing multiplayer anyway.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

For me the problem is not the unlock portion, I get that .. some of the eariler BF games did that in a very reasonable way. It's enticing players to pay money after they've forked over 60$, unless they want to grind 40x12min for the content and especially that pay being chance based.

I was approaching it from "these toons are above and beyond the normal game toons, and could be earned by performing action A or B". Now I realize they were (mostly?) fully available (for little to no effort?) in SWBF1, so I understand why the shift has upset people.

As a stand alone model, I have no problem with extraordinary unlocks being earned via grinding or buying coins.

Reading about the horror of playing for 40 hours to unlock a character in a game....while I'm looking at a 28 DAY cool down before I can learn my last flame staff recipe in eso...

You just need to wait for that, not grind for it. Kind of a bonkers cool down though
Which is worse to a video game player, Waiting or grinding?

That it is lol

Edited by redneckdevil