You did WHAT...?!

Amentep

Ahh getting shanked by a coworker. I'm feeling nostalgic.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I, too, shanked with a coworker once. My god, what a time. And that ass of hers... I am not much an arse person, but damn, with that jeans on... 15 years later and I still have that image in my head. Shame it didn't went on for long, but I guess it was better that way.

Now I feel kinda old.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Heh. Okay, I've gotten involved with the D20 society at the university and getting back into some tabletop rpgs. Sitting there with the other students, and one of the girls talkign about character sheets and keeping them after time because they feel like your "kids" in a sense. Everybody agreeing with her on hanging onto old character sheets, and I made a comment that I still have some of my earliest characters in a box from when I started playing DnD back in '93 or so. 

The DM just.. stopped, went silent and had this incredibly odd, broken expression.

I poked him and did a "Tim, you okay?"

And he kind of muttered a "....You have ..character sheets... older than I am."

I replied with a "Giving you a fresh perspective on some things?"

He just did a slow nod and a "... yeah. Why aren't you the DM??"

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh. Okay, I've gotten involved with the D20 society at the university and getting back into some tabletop rpgs. Sitting there with the other students, and one of the girls talkign about character sheets and keeping them after time because they feel like your "kids" in a sense. Everybody agreeing with her on hanging onto old character sheets, and I made a comment that I still have some of my earliest characters in a box from when I started playing DnD back in '93 or so. 

The DM just.. stopped, went silent and had this incredibly odd, broken expression.

I poked him and did a "Tim, you okay?"

And he kind of muttered a "....You have ..character sheets... older than I am."

I replied with a "Giving you a fresh perspective on some things?"

He just did a slow nod and a "... yeah. Why aren't you the DM??"

Hahaha! That's brilliant :D

I wish seniority made someone the default DM, damn that'd be nice..

Didn't get quite enough sleep tonight, so I need to buy alot of energy drinks for tonight. Going to be a big group of six players aswell so I need to get my game on. Also, need to buy some Baileys.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Was amused walking home (hooray for terrible transit) watching countless people having group photos taking and bothering strangers into taking them.  Part of me wondered why someone would hand their phone to some dude nearby only based on him not looking totally sketchy.  Odd people in this city.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A decision I've been avoiding making cannot be put off much longer. Opportunities might soon be lost. High risk, high reward opportunities. But tonight I'm wondering if the best risks are those not taken. 

I am not a man who agonizes over decisions. The right thing to do is usually self evident I've found. Not this time. I think the thing to do it sit on the porch and listen to the night sounds. Most answers can be found that way. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We had our team building event for the company I work for (my full-time job) today.  We went up to Gopro Motorplex in Mooresville and raced go karts.  Good time had by all.  Ryan, the branch manager, had the best lap time of the day, as usual, but at least I had the second best lap time and the best of anyone in the warehouse.  My lap times were garbage in the first race as I was getting a feel for the track and the handling characteristics of the karts.  In the second race I scored my best lap time of the day once I had the course well memorized and got a feel for how hard I could push the karts through the corners.  I probably could have beaten my lap time in the last race since I pushed a couple corners even further to the limit than before, but I was pushing too hard and lost time by overdriving a few of the other corners.  I know I left at least a second out there on the track but am overall happy with my performance.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm searching myself to death right now and can't find anything useful.... Can anyone tell me if light bugs / fireflies exist on the Fijis / on tropical islands? First I thought "well, sure they do", but then I started to google it and... I am actually unable to find anything about it. Wikipedia says "warm humid environments, stall water, long grass", which kinda fits it... but what I want to hear is a "yes, yes they do", preferably with video proof.

Do we have any bug experts on these boards by chance?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

“Es war, als hätt' der Himmel

Die Erde still geküßt,

Daß sie im Blütenschimmer

Von ihm nun träumen müßt'.

[...]

Und meine Seele spannte

Weit ihre Flügel aus,

Flog durch die stillen Lande,

Als flöge sie nach Haus.“

Been contemplating the whole day about this masterpiece of German poetry. Rough translation

„It was as if the sky

Had silently kissed the earth

So that she, in the gleam of flowers,

Must now dream of him.

And my soul spread

Wide out it’s wings

Flew through the silent lands

As if flying home.“

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I'm searching myself to death right now and can't find anything useful.... Can anyone tell me if light bugs / fireflies exist on the Fijis / on tropical islands? First I thought "well, sure they do", but then I started to google it and... I am actually unable to find anything about it. Wikipedia says "warm humid environments, stall water, long grass", which kinda fits it... but what I want to hear is a "yes, yes they do", preferably with video proof.

Do we have any bug experts on these boards by chance?

Not a bug expert and don't know about Fiji itself, but last I knew there were none in the Hawaiian islands - although I think they tried to introduce some once, no idea how that went. Maybe they don't tend to like areas that are year round tropical? Like the island in Korea that has a lot of them and most of the US areas will still have chilly winter temps. I dunno tho.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

John Horne's A Year in Fiji indicates there were some form of firefly there in ~1876. Now, or not, I dunno.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Damn, that's too uncertain. I had the idea of adding glowbugs to a scene of my current project, but if there is a chance for it to be complete BS, I'd rather not do it.

Went to the pet store to buy a ginormous bag o' cat litter, came home with a new sound bar w/blutooth woofer for the TV. Because BestBuy is next door to the pet store. :p

Our 6 year old soundbar had no woofer, the remote was barely working, and it often makes an annoying transformer-hum sound if the volume is too loud so it was time.

I also looked at Samsung 8" tablets, the high-res ones look good image wise but $400-$500? I'll stick to the slight crack in the screen Galaxy5 freebie phone hubby tossed me as my home-wi-fi tablet. Sometimes it feels like the older I get, despite having more and more $$, the cheaper I get regarding "tech-toys." Except a desktop PC. I'll still go quite far out for one of those.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Seems most of the toys don't merit the price, or at least to me alone. Noticed that when phone shopping. I kind of want a tablet I can use to more comfortably slack off at work with, but can't really project that much use to warrant the cost.

Might get a laptop, buddy has a 50% discount code at Lenovo. :D

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd like to have a new tablet too, but hell, I only use it for listening to music with headphones and ocasionally browsing the web in bed when being lazy. I don't feel like shelling out $500 for that.