What are you playing right now?

I'm not knocking Origin or GoG, I use those and love those always. I also don't aim to give Valve any credit for that but it's rather the developers/publishers who favor Steam probably because the community is far bigger.

It might be that is a publisher thing, since GOG doesn't have DRM.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have The Bureau on Steam too but never played it. I love Xcom, but I think it will upset me more than entertain me.

I actually thought it was pretty cool.

Well, the story parts anyways.  The combat was wonky since they allowed you to issue commands, but it wasn't in actual "pause".  It was in slow motion (from what I recall), and you had to move about the map trying to see where the enemies were, all while your character was moving and the enemies were moving into position.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I have several old games on Steam that don't work. How to fix that? Either pirate or buy the GOG version. And since I don't pirate games, GOG it is.

I have no problem with Steam. Own over 600 games, but their support for older games is less than stellar.

If you go to the steam community hub of a broken game, usually the top posts will have fixes for that sort of thing, assuming it's at least mildly popular. Unfortunately, people have to fix some of Steam's games since Valve really just doesn't give a crap about curating its games or making sure that they work. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have several old games on Steam that don't work. How to fix that? Either pirate or buy the GOG version. And since I don't pirate games, GOG it is.

I have no problem with Steam. Own over 600 games, but their support for older games is less than stellar.

If you go to the steam community hub of a broken game, usually the top posts will have fixes for that sort of thing, assuming it's at least mildly popular. Unfortunately, people have to fix some of Steam's games since Valve really just doesn't give a crap about curating its games or making sure that they work. :)

Yeah, that's my point. Users can fix the issues. On GOG, they usually have a working version of the game sold in their store. That's a big difference.

• Like 3

Usually it's something simple like going into your properties and checking "Run as administrator", Disabling high dpi, and maybe changing the compatibility settings.

While that may seem like alot, it's really not. It's the simplest thing in the world but I've seen a few peeps complain about altering a game's text document file on Steam too.

Once you do this stuff though, the results are usually much better than Origin or GoG's performance. I'm not sure why that is.

I think it's because Steam's audience beung much wider and the overlay function resetting the game's contents to work with newer machines vs ancient hardware and os.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Usually it's something simple like going into your properties and checking "Run as administrator", Disabling high dpi, and maybe changing the compatibility settings.

While that may seem like alot, it's really not. It's the simplest thing in the world but I've seen a few peeps complain about altering a game's text document file on Steam too.

Once you do this stuff though, the results are usually much better than Origin or GoG's performance. I'm not sure why that is.

I think it's because Steam's audience beung much wider and the overlay function resetting the game's contents to work with newer machines vs ancient hardware and os.

Personally, I don't have that many issues with Steam games (although I have returned games which didn't work for me only on steam) I just like GOG better because of both their model, it being a good platform for indie games and a very generous return policy. A noteworthy point is that they give away a lot of games for free on their sales as incentives to buy, that beats Steam sales. I guess what hurts them most is the low selection but as a market that caters to a niche audience they excel.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hellblade is made by Ninja Theory. That alone makes it worthless. I wouldn't give them money if the fate of the universe depended on it.

Why? I have no idea who that is.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ninja Theory made DmC: Devil May Cry. Despite all the hate emo Dante got, I really enjoyed that game.

Anyways, i just finished Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. You control five characters (basically: ninja, thief, samurai, female fatale, and sniper), and you sneak around and kill people in ancient Japan. I know there are hundreds of ninja stealth games on the market these days, but this one is pretty good, if a drop frustrating while you're learning the ropes.

More Hellblade. The game actually goes out of its way to make its gameplay as varied as possible, in spite of its individual components being rather shallow. It still works damn well to reinforce the feeling of desperation tho. I wouldn't necessarily call it fun (because feeling a tad depressed... Well, isn't that) but it's certainly a compelling experience. Glad I threw money Ninja Theory's way, this a very unique ... Thing to play. Nonetheless, it's apparently like 6-8 hours long and the game's not particularly replayable, so - unless you're looking for a fairly powerful experience, get it on sale.

Even if you're looking for a powerful experience you should get it on sale.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hellblade is made by Ninja Theory. That alone makes it worthless. I wouldn't give them money if the fate of the universe depended on it.

They are best known for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and the DmC reboot which was good but also had a main character that wasn't as likeable as the original Dante. They also made Heavenly Sword which was a PS3 exclusive.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

To be perfectly honest, I never finished any of their games so I wouldn't know. I briefly played Heavenly Sword once which didn't seem all that bad. I also heard many good things about Enslaved. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I always forget I have Enslaved: Odyseey to the West. I never did beat that game....

I liked Heavenly Sword alot. DmC reboot was okay. They have a dlc that let's you play as old Dante (a skin rather).

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Even if you're looking for a powerful experience you should get it on sale.

Not only is it a rather unique game that's paced in a way I've never experienced before, it's also extremely well executed, written, optimized and technically competent. Let's not punish developers for doing what they want to do when they do it well - 30 euro seems to be a rather reasonable full price for a product of this quality.

Honestly, Hellblade seems like the kind of game Ninja Theory wanted to make since Enslaved - and Enslaved is about 10 hours long, padded by gameplay that exists for the sole purpose of more gameplay being there. Terrible design.

Not sure waiting for a sale is "punishing" developers, but from your description doesn't seem like something I would want to have blown $45 over.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As mentioned above they made Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (based on Journey to the West) and DmC: Devil May Cry (based on Devil May Cry). Both being good-looking, yet pretentious and mediocre games. The company is focused on graphics, rather than gameplay.

Though, Odyssey had rather funny explanation for map borders.

• Like 2

As mentioned above they made Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (based on Journey to the West) and DmC: Devil May Cry (based on Devil May Cry). Both being good-looking, yet pretentious and mediocre games. The company is focused on graphics, rather than gameplay.

Though, Odyssey had rather funny explanation for map borders.

Fair enough but according to the net, Odyssey is severely underrated and I do enjoy DmC but I like silly/goofy in my games. I'm one of the few here who enjoy Fable and Divinity Original Sin if that says anything.

I also really enjoyed Metal Gear Rising: Revengance though which felt similar to DmC but more "cool".

Edited by SonicMage117

Back when I played Path of Exile (there were three acts back then, heh) I had a glass cannon flicker strike build going for a while. It was probably the most fun aRGP build I ever played but the lag and desyncing was insane. I died to enemies that I didn't even see. ;)

That's luckily cleared up, the latency is awesome - on top of that, they fixed the biggest issue since then - you can buy skill gems now! :D and the flicker strike glass cannon is still a viable build.. 

Time to patch... :yes:

Had some time to look at Path of Exile today and right at the beginning Deckard Cain walked up to me and said "Much has changed since you lived here my friend." Damn.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Had some time to look at Path of Exile today and right at the beginning Deckard Cain walked up to me and said "Much has changed since you lived here my friend." Damn.

Heh, yeah they've really fine tuned the game. The story is still pretty disorganized, even though the lore expansions have done a great deal to remedy that.

But honestly, it's probably (aside from Diablo II) the only loot'em up I've ever actually enjoyed playing.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm playing Sudden Strike 4.  While I don't generally play traditional RTSs, on account of me sucking horribly at them, because I'm terrible at large amounts of micromanagement, I really like real-time squad-based tactics, which is exactly what this is (because it reduces the amount of micromanagement necessary).  There is no base building (at least in the campaign), nor spawning units.  You do get reinforcements, but those are triggered by scripted events, you don't spawn them yourself.  Basically, you have a squad and if they die they're dead, you need to keep them alive (in the mission itself, they don't carry over from mission to mission).  It's kind of like WH40K: Dawn of War 2 in that regard.  

SS4 has been getting lukewarm reviews with the majority of the complaints being about skirmish mode (lack of maps and customization).  I'm mainly in it for the campaign(s) and in that regard the game delivers.  There are 3 full campaigns: German, Russian, and Allies, and every mission in every campaign has replayability as there are multiple commanders to choose from, each with different special abilities and passive bonuses, opening up different play styles.  The missions themselves are nicely varied and units themselves have unique abilities.  There is resource management, especially if you move through the map at a slow, measured pace, as you do have limited ammo and fuel.  There are refuel vehicles and supply depots, but, unlike in some other games, refueling, repairing, and rearming are not instaqntaneous, and they leave your vehicles and their crew exposed, so you better form a defensive perimeter around them to defend them.

Visually, the game looks good.  There is a lot of attention to detail; tank crews will slowly crawl out of disabled tanks, provided they survived.  Soldiers run out of burning buildings.  You can salvage and use enemy vehicles and artillery, provided you kill the crew without killing the vehicle/equipment.  The game runs like a champ, which is great to see, especially since it's a Unity game.  I can run it at max settings at 1440p and it doesn't break a sweat.  Granted, it's not the most graphics-intensive game, but, at the same time, it looks quite nice, with good animations and effects.  About what you could reasonably expect from a 3D isometric game.  

I have not tried multiplayer yet, but, I have been assured that multiplayer works across Windows, Mac, and Linux, provided that you are on Steam.  On GOG it's Windows and Mac only, since there is still no GOG Galaxy for Linux (despite them promising it 2 years ago, part of the reason I no longer buy anything from GOG).

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I suck at rts as well... but I do guve them a try once in awhile. Sudden Strike 4 looks great, as well as Tooth & Tail. I think the worst one I've ever played was Starcraft while the best one was Age Of Empires 2 (I loved how that classic game went from caveman period to star wars space tech - blasters and lightsabers complete).

I could never play multiplayer because people who play them usually are so experienced that a newb like me wouldn't stand a chance. There's all kinds of crazy shortcuts that they take advantage of. Sometimes it's more of cheese than chess but fun all the same!

• Like 1