What are you playing right now?

Now, after ten or so hours of game I can say that combat (or as they call it "crisis") in new Torment is a complete mess. Awkward, tiring, and crippled by badly designed UI, for me it's the worst part of the game. After the first fight I felt relieved that I died quickly and didn't have to end the fight, but wake up someplace other.

Other than that the story is quite good, characters are decent, so is the writing. But I don't know if I will play it again anytime soon.

Does it suffer the same fate as the first?

No, "combat" in TToN actually managed to be worse than in PS:T. ;)

Ouch.. if it's even more horrid than the first then I'm glad I skipped out.

The problem it has is that it's turn based. It's shallow and unengaging, but turn based part makes it really dull and clunky. Recent patch they released was to speed things it, but I didn't give it a shot. Luckily for the most part, you can avoid crisis system.

I think I'm done with 50% of The Witcher 3. As I suspected, getting all the question marks and stuff is boring. Doing quests with actual story is very good. I don't mind exploring and finding loot, but I am not a fan of the Ubisoft design of tasks and such. In some ways, the game is fantastic and in others, I vastly prefer the second game in the series.

Atmosphere and attention to detail is sublime. Graphics are great and I like the soundtrack. Can't complain about the writing or voice acting. There's a decent variety of enemies. I've gotten used to the combat, even if I don't love it. 

I'd suggest doing all the contracts, it sure is worth it. "Skellige's Most Wanted" is one of the best parts of the game in my opinion. 

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Now, after ten or so hours of game I can say that combat (or as they call it "crisis") in new Torment is a complete mess. Awkward, tiring, and crippled by badly designed UI, for me it's the worst part of the game. After the first fight I felt relieved that I died quickly and didn't have to end the fight, but wake up someplace other. 

Other than that the story is quite good, characters are decent, so is the writing. But I don't know if I will play it again anytime soon.

I could never get around to finishing it.  It wasn't just the combat, either.  Something about the story/gameplay didn't pull me in like its predecessor.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The problem it has is that it's turn based. It's shallow and unengaging, but turn based part makes it really dull and clunky. Recent patch they released was to speed things it, but I didn't give it a shot. Luckily for the most part, you can avoid crisis system.

The combat gets better, when the party reaches Tier 3/level 12 and acquires some decent equipment. And opportunities to make use of this equipment arise more often by the 2nd area.

Haven't played TToN with the patch, but completed 3 playthroughs before that. It is fun, when you consciously pick fights.

Still not quite feeling Prey, but I'm chugging through it. I'm cheating resources to give me lots of neuromods though, which works for me. This progression system gives me absolutely no clue as to what I can expect to be able to hit through normal play, so I'm trying to grab all the stuff that's interesting now.

I think my main problem is there has been absolutely no big hooks in the game so far. Nothing I've seen has amazed me. No great characters, no breathtaking vistas, no fun fights, even the interesting powers all seem like something I'd get very limited use out of. Maybe mindjacking will be useful, we'll see.

Not sure how far in you are but for me the game only really started once I started exploring around the Arboretum.

Also the lack of inventory space in my Typhon-power-only playthrough is rather annoying. Not sure why that needed to be a "human" skill (or a skill at all, really. I'm well past the age at which I even vaguely considered inventory management fun). So far I must say that my human-only playthrough actually seemed easier too (I just got through Psychotronics, now entering the G.U.T.S.) but of course haven't really met any of the truly OP aliens yet to nab their powers.

I must say it does give a whole new dimension to the game and I would almost be tempted to advice people to stick to one or the other (Human or Typhon) it's pretty interesting to see how getting around changes just based solely on that choice (eg. not being able to repair anything is a much bigger deal than I would have thought, at least early on. Lack of hacking is also...interesting, not sure if there is a Typhon way of dealing with that actually). Tbh I kinda fear just grabbing stuff from both bags would make the game trivial in short order. (that said, if you care about reading as much backstory as possible going human-only seems to be the better option of the two, since you have to forego access to repair and hacking without human powers, it seems as Typhon-only there are much more and much bigger areas you cannot get to)

Edited by marelooke

I just hit Arboretum. Still seems the same. Why would you ever not take human stuff? I can understand not taking Typhon stuff if you're worried about unfriendly turrets, but I don't see any drawback in taking human.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just hit Arboretum. Still seems the same. Why would you ever not take human stuff? I can understand not taking Typhon stuff if you're worried about unfriendly turrets, but I don't see any drawback in taking human.

Once you start exploring from there, not once you arrive there, seemed to me that after that point the story pace picked up, as did the enemy variety and I finally started feeling like I could adequately deal with enemies.

Going either full Human or Typhon is an achievement, for one (full human is kinda promoted by January as well, which was the main reason I went that way first time around, only found out about the achievement after). The other reason is kind of related to the game's ending: I'm curious what will happen if you go full Typhon.

(fwiw, there's only one room I couldn't get in as "full human" that I might have cared for (can't know if it was really interesting since I, you know, couldn't get in ;)), it was one in the Crew Quarters, the room of

Mikhaila Ilyushin

, all the others were just storage or medical rooms and I was kinda drowning in most things by the end of the game anyway. Only things I remember really crafting because I had a use for them were Neuromods and Gloo ammo)

To be entirely fair to the crisis system the unavoidable ones aren't excatly about combat and more like not dying or getting the hell out of the way. Actual combat where you need to kill your enemies to win is far an in between, and completely optional. The truly disappointing part of the game were the companions.

I found myself looking up their names just now. Except Erritis I didn't remember a single name, out of a game that came out early this year and I invested 60ish hours in. In comparison I spent less time with Pillars of Eternity that came out more than two years ago and I still remember the companions. *sigh*

Like I said, 's not all bad and combat as the sole reason to not touch TToN feels wrong - it never was about that. Not even if inXile had released the game with the features they promised.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ok, somehow warmed up to Lord of the Rings Online a bit and I'm working my Captain towards Mordor. I'm level 82 and about halfway done with Rohan, so I've got a ways to go. Still, it is nice to be back in Middle Earth.

I never had played the original Fallout, I've known a lot of people to swear by it as a great attempt to bring tabletop RPG to video format. After reaching vault 15 and knowing that I have to have a rope to go down I just have this to say..**** everyone that praised this game, what kind of ****ing bull**** is this where i'm ****ing supposed to know that I had to have a ****ing rope. The more I play these old RPGs the more I"m ****ing glad for all the amenities that modern games have and **** everyone that criticizes them.

HTFU casual!

At least it's not like some of the no win states in adventure games way back. Failed in one because I forgot to get one item way back in the beginning.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Transistor.

It looks gorgeous, the soundtrack is sweet and the gameplay is a whole lot of fun. I love combining different abilities. The story can be a bit vague at times though which has been my only gripe with the game so far.

• Like 3

Darn you Steam, another sale on Hollow Knight?  After I've been trying to put off buying it till the switch version comes out.......Purchased....I am so weak....:)  But after only putting in an hour or so, I can start to see what the fuss is about.  The music is awesome, the controls are tight, and the story is intriguing.   I will still be purchasing it on the Switch, to both have a good platforming/metrovania, but also like giving money to good developers.

As our family is leaving on vacation tomorrow, I'll be putting in some good time with Zelda BOTW.  What a great game it's been.  And some four player multiplayer on Overcooked and Death Squared.  Very happy about the switch and its portability.

• Like 1

Transistor.

It looks gorgeous, the soundtrack is sweet and the gameplay is a whole lot of fun. I love combining different abilities. The story can be a bit vague at times though which has been my only gripe with the game so far.

Transistor is a phenomenal rpg.

What I find about Supergiant's games is that they prove an 8 hour rpg can be just as good and have just as much depth as a 200 hour rpg.

I'd highly recommend Bastion and Pyre as well if you haven't already :)

Darn you Steam, another sale on Hollow Knight? After I've been trying to put off buying it till the switch version comes out.......Purchased....I am so weak....:) But after only putting in an hour or so, I can start to see what the fuss is about. The music is awesome, the controls are tight, and the story is intriguing. I will still be purchasing it on the Switch, to both have a good platforming/metrovania, but also like giving money to good developers.

It has officially dethroned Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night in the public eye. You made it just in time for release of the new & free dlc which is why I assume they had another sale.

Also, try Sundered when you're done with Hollow Knight. It's a harder and underrated (some people find it tii difficult) metroidvania but it's up there with Hollow Knight. If you are up to the challenge!

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Remember Kvatch!!

I do recall being mildly amused by it but not enough to distract me from the allure of unexplored caves.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So, the full game (all ten acts) of Path of Exile released yesterday. I've been playing pretty much non-stop since then and I've reached the end of act seven. The last two or three acts have been a mixture of new levels and old levels redesigned with your previous actions in mind. Where you first encountered (for example) a huge bear, you will now encounter a huge undead bear, controlled by a necromancer. Where you first fought bandits, you're not fighting skeletons and so on. The things you killed in the first acts around come back in different forms later in the game. I love it.

But the game is hard. I'm up to level 62 in hardcore now and it feels like every battle will be my last. I've been sooo close to dying a hundred times now. I just know my time is up. There are achievements for reaching level 60, 70, 80 and 90 in hardcore. I will probably never get the one for 70 even.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I tried playing my old XBox version of Knights of the Old Republic: Sith Lords on my XBox360, but had to quit early in because every so often there would be a screeching noise from the sound.  Not sure if it's because it doesn't play very well on the 360 or what.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So, the full game (all ten acts) of Path of Exile released yesterday. I've been playing pretty much non-stop since then and I've reached the end of act seven. The last two or three acts have been a mixture of new levels and old levels redesigned with your previous actions in mind. Where you first encountered (for example) a huge bear, you will now encounter a huge undead bear, controlled by a necromancer. Where you first fought bandits, you're not fighting skeletons and so on. The things you killed in the first acts around come back in different forms later in the game. I love it.

But the game is hard. I'm up to level 62 in hardcore now and it feels like every battle will be my last. I've been sooo close to dying a hundred times now. I just know my time is up. There are achievements for reaching level 60, 70, 80 and 90 in hardcore. I will probably never get the one for 70 even.

I remember getting to around level 40 in hardcore when I played, and instantly dying when there was 1-2 second lagspike just as I happened to run into a very fast champion (or whatever they call them in PoE) at that exact moment. That's when I realized that permadeath in MP is not for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Finished Transistor. 

It was good but not as good as Bastion, the story felt disappointing. The game simply throws a whole lot of information at you and you have to figure out bits and pieces of the story by yourself(mostly by reading the terminals). It is a nice concept but it can easily make the player feel confused if not done right. But then again, this is a game where you're supposed to replay the game and an NG+ mode lets you further develop your character stats so I might change my opinion on the story after a replay or two.  :shrugz:

Edited by Katphood