What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

Yesterday, the latest entry in the Fire Emblem series (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia) released in Japan. I'm mildly annoyed that they included Chinese language support but not English. Anyway, playing in Japanese and it seems pretty good so far.

I've finally mostly finished my level-1 challenge run of Final Fantasy XV and am now back to the "some of these other games are sorta fun to watch someone else play, but nothing interests me enough to play it myself" routine.  :p

I tried this little adventure game called Firewatch (PC version) for about 25 minutes. It's kinda cool, and the scenery is pretty, but meh.

Uncharted 4 came "free" when I bought the PS4, so I decided to buy the Nathan Drake Collection for $20 as well, thinking maybe I should start from the beginning. And of course I haven't touched any of them. Such is my gaming life, most of the time these days. :disguise:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've finally mostly finished my level-1 challenge run of Final Fantasy XV and am now back to the "some of these other games are sorta fun to watch someone else play, but nothing interests me enough to play it myself" routine. :p

I tried this little adventure game called Firewatch (PC version) for about 25 minutes. It's kinda cool, and the scenery is pretty, but meh.

Uncharted 4 came "free" when I bought the PS4, so I decided to buy the Nathan Drake Collection for $20 as well, thinking maybe I should start from the beginning. And of course I haven't touched any of them. Such is my gaming life, most of the time these days. :disguise:

I know the feeling. Bought a external hard drive for my PS4 and realized all tr games I have and haven't even played along with my steam library, decided to not buy a new game until I finished at least half of them......Then started playing ESO and me buying a game is gonna be a looooooong time now lol

• Like 1

Playing Might and Magic VI- the Mandate of Heaven for a second time. I never finished my first play through a couple years ago. I probably had 60 hours into the game and felt like I was only half way through it. I tried to pick back up where I left off but its an expansive game and I was completely lost so I restarted. Amazing game though, and Im playing it with a steam controller this time so I can relax on the coach while I play.

Oh and I finally beat Dungeon Siege III and its DLC on local co op with my brother. We switched the difficutly to hard early on for more challenge, though the DLC section was exhausting on hard. Took about 4 years of me visiting a couple times a year for weekend game jams.

Great co op game and I cant believe it didnt do better, it seemed the natural evolution from the Dark Alliance type of game for the PS2.

• Like 2

Had to do a boss fight in Styx, argh. Watched the video, set difficulty to easy, still had to do countless retries. It's not even that hard, you just have to memorize the level and what to do at each point, but one mistake and you're dead.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Alright, as always, something different.  Went through Deadlight on the PS4 because I've been playing a lot of open-ended or extremely long games and needed to feel some accomplishment. lol  Made some more progress through Nioh, which is such a good game.  A little more approachable to me than Dark Souls due to progress being partly based on gear.  On the same note as getting through Deadlight, I've also started and making progress through Ori and Blind Forest: DE.  

I've finally mostly finished my level-1 challenge run of Final Fantasy XV and am now back to the "some of these other games are sorta fun to watch someone else play, but nothing interests me enough to play it myself" routine.  :p

I could see you enjoying Horizon: Zero Dawn, so you might want to look into that for the PS4.

I could never dig the Nathan Drake series because the first one was a lot of shooting. I hear the sequels are better.

Edited by Hurlshot

I could see you enjoying Horizon: Zero Dawn, so you might want to look into that for the PS4.

I could never dig the Nathan Drake series because the first one was a lot of shooting. I hear the sequels are better.

I will say, the last Uncharted would probably be for you then.  While it does have some shooting, it seemed like quite a bit less than the previous titles.  I felt that it definitely focused more on the story, which to me, is what Naughty Dog excel at, including The Last of Us.

And how do you feel about that?

When I purchase a game on Steam, I try it out for at least 30 minutes, if it doesn't grip me or appeal to me as I'm playing it, I refund it. I have a fairly large library/backlog now but I know I will get to them some day.

Even though I have hundreds of games, I've refunded just as many to find the ones I've deemed worth keeping to save for playing later.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Trying out the Dawn of War 3 beta. Unfortunately Relic made the rather insane misstep of not including skirmish AI, so if you want to get a feel for the game I'd recommend getting like-minded friends into a private match to try stuff out.

Ghostseer Taldeer is a tons (pun intended) of fun to use, and much like the Wraithknight in the tabletop, is truly a commanding presence on the battlefield. Think one of the greatest psykers the Eldar have to offer who is now a 50 ft tall robit with a big f***-off sword and you have an idea of the unit. Approaching your foe who is otherwise on roughly even footing in terms of combat power then having her literally leap into the fray from the fog of war and him quitting the game at that moment just puts an ear-to-ear grin on my face.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Trying out the Dawn of War 3 beta. Unfortunately Relic made the rather insane misstep of not including skirmish AI, so if you want to get a feel for the game I'd recommend getting like-minded friends into a private match to try stuff out.

I also didn't find a sensible way of just matching myself against a friend - you can only form a party and go against other random people. Which is bizarre.

Edit: Eh, might as well add some thoughts. I feel the game focuses far too much on heroes with ordinary units just being trash on the battlefield you can control - don't get me wrong, they can do a lot if correctly managed, but a single hero ability can wipe them out in legions when you're not paying attention for a second, but it does not work the other way around. And yet, in spite of that, I didn't find a way to customize my heroes like I could in skirmishes of Dawn of War 2.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of all units getting an array of active and passive abilities while, at the same time, massively increasing scale of the battles. While I felt micromanagement in Dawn of War 2 was a lot of fun, I can't seem to quite enjoy it in 3. In addition to that, I felt like using abilities of large groups was a lot easier in DoW 1 than it is in DoW 3, but that may again just be my failing (while I'm at the topic of my failings, a lot of them stem from absolutely dreadful UI. It's busy and makes no efforts to properly emphasize important info - I spent like 10 minutes not knowing where the hell are resource amounts displayed)

As for the battles themselves... Destructive battlefields, panicking units fleeing from the front line, combat barks and yells of panic while battling the enemy - I didn't really see any of that in DoW 3. The whole game kinda feels like an attempt to mix StarCraft 2 and League of Legends and penetrate competitive scene with it. Which... Isn't something I believe they can do. So now I'm just hoping for a decent campaign.

Edited by Fenixp

I also didn't find a sensible way of just matching myself against a friend - you can only form a party and go against other random people. Which is bizarre.

You can create a private match on a 1v1 match with you buddy, which was how I dipped my toes into it when I first launched the game.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

About Man O' War: Corsair for Keyrock:

Sailing and Combat:

The devs make the distinction that this is a naval action game, not a naval simulation. As a result gameplay is simplified similar to how Freelancer did not have you manually adjust each maneuvering thruster to allow for space dogfights. WASD controls, with W unfurling sails and S gathering them back up - unless you are using oars or steam engines or treadmills or warpstone reactors or magic - sails can be set on half-mast and different ships are better or worse at catching favorable wind in their sails.

A red arrow helps you aim your cannons - right click to aim, mousewheel to adjust distance, left click to fire. Simple enough and it works. In this it is a bit simpler than Pirates! if I remember correctly, as you don't really adjust vertical only horizontal while aiming (though most experienced captain will keep in mind that cannon balls will not fly in a straight line and magically disappear off screen, and use this knowledge to hit the enemy ship just below the waterline).

Come up alongside an enemy ship and hit spacebar to board them. You can jump from one ship to the other, use melee and ranged weapons. Melee has a normal and a strong attack as well as a block (left click / hold left mouse button / right mouse button). To stop the melee from getting too crowded (and probably performance from dropping) only a specific number of combatants are spawned for each side at a time, with more crew members joining in to replace the fallen. Boarding and town raids are not ideal, but it works. I am known for boarding a lot - so while combat here is rather basic, it can't be all that bad ;) . But melee combat, and actual walking in ports instead of having a menu screen with options, were a community request during Early Access, and added from scratch by the devs during the last half year or so. As such, early access players are positive;y biased when judging this system - how many devs add completely new gameplay to their game because players asked for it?

You can have up to six allied ships under your command, but not under your direct control - you can order them to attack specific targets, stay at long range, stay at short rage, board, flee etc, but you can't swap over to an allied ship and play as that.

Game modes:

The game has a Human Campaign, a Khorne Chaos Campaign, and a Custom Battle Skirmish mode.

The human campaign currently starts the player as an independent captain, though alternate national starts (Bretonnia, Empire and possibly others) are being worked on. You start at the port of Norden in the Sea of Claws, the captain of a "Corsair" (Bretonnian design - ship of the line). Difficulty level affects your starting gold and I think the cost of repairs. The game has some quests, but mostly it allows you to freely roam the Old World, from Kislev to Tilea, and do your thing. The various empires and city states will give quests and missions, and you can gain reputation with all of them. They will also fight each other, make peace with each other (more rarely). 

Non-human races currently have no ports, though orcs will, if they control an area, build floating docks out of shipwrecks and flotsam.

In the human campaign you'll be fighting the factions you want to fight, do quests for the (human) factions you don't want to fight, trade, hunt sea monsters, hire allied ships (including elves and dwarves), and sail around.

The chaos campaign (currently only Khorne), has you leading a fleet of raiders, with the number of starting ships in your fleet depending on difficulty level. This is more of a survival mode. While the game does not prohibit you from trading (it does lock you out of questing for other factions), all ports are hostile, and your real aim is to raze as many ports, and sink as many enemy fleets as possible. Every success racks up favor with the chaos gods. Favor can be traded in at the shrine (fancy name for the favor trading in menu ;) ), where you can petition (read exchange favor for) new crew, upgrades for your ship, and new ships for your fleet. Mind you, the Gods are fickle and every time you spend favor, the cost of things increases. Eventually you may have enough favor to attempt to ascend to daemonhood in the ashes of a razed port. Well, you have the choice to attempt this in every port you raze, but unless you have accumulated a ton of favor, the gods will probably kill you.

In the chaos campaign you plunder and pillage until you run out of favor with the dark gods.

The custom battles will most likely also include the planned multiplayer aspect. Here you decide on a point limit, then build a fleet of up to six ships, with upgrades, wizards etc, then battle it out with an opposing fleet(s). They are the only way to currently play all factions. They also allow you some freedom to try out things like my "hunt for red orktober" where I played with a single dwarven nautilus against an orc fleet - loads of fun.

Is it fun?

For me? Yes, absolutely. Yes, the graphics are not AAA, and yes, there still are bugs. I also understand that people who are really into sailing/naval games may want something more realistic. But I also did not play X3, but played Freelancer instead. I drove around Vice City, Steelport and even Defiance instead of some driving/racing game. What this game has to offer is all the good stuff that comes with the IP: a large world, strange, weird, magical, or outright wacky ships, wizards, sea monsters, and griffon riding knights dueling with wyvern riding orcs overhead.

I understand were some of the people who were disappointed with the game are coming from (somewhere over there apparently). The game needs some work, some improvements. But on the one hand I trust these devs more than any to work on those things, on the other the fun bits outweigh the problems for me tenfold.

"Melkathi, you are usually more excited about games!" Actually, I usually write these posts before I am into the triple digits of playtime. Here I just know pretty much all there is to know. For the past year the email address I mailed most frequent were the man o war devs for the bug reports :) Here is my EA steam review: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007554934/recommended/344240/

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Do you know what naval battle game looks fun?

That one team based fps game called Blackwake!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Have you actually played it to put it in this thread?????

Who are you talking to?

If you're talking to me, maybe you should read my comment again and the answer should be pretty obvious. My comment was in reply to the poster above me.

As far as people asking about games they haven't played on this particular thread, I don't see the harm in it. It's like me asking you "Why are you commenting at all if you're not talking about a game you're playing?"

But I digress, you continue to combat me on every thread for petty reasons. Say what you want, I'll continue to post freely. If a mod sees a problem, they can message me directly. Oh I just uploaded 20 screenshots in screenshot thread, you might want to go there now and report me or say something about that.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

I have finished Titanfall 2 in like... 4 hours or so. The campaign was quite a blast actually. There are better FPS games on the market tho (DOOM, Wolfenstein: The New Order) so unless you have exhausted your options, get it for cheap. It is, however, definitely worth playing through, it keeps changing up its mechanics to remain interesting and there can never be enough fast-paced shooting.

You can create a private match on a 1v1 match with you buddy, which was how I dipped my toes into it when I first launched the game.

How!? I suppose I'm just blind. ... It does bring me back to my point of horrible UI tho :-P

Do you know what naval battle game looks fun?

That one team based fps game called Blackwake!

I may look into a Let's Play as BlackFire Forge has been streaming it, and he also streams Man O' War: Corsair. He'll be able to explain it to me in terms an Old World captain like myself will understand :)

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

All right, I can't seem to enjoy Bayonetta at all. I usually love Platinum games and this is regarded as their best one, but TBH I vastly prefer Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

And that's because I'm... Kinda bored by Bayonetta. I may be wrong of course, but to me, combat in Bayonetta seems entirely reliant on combos and QTEs. QTEs I don't like because they're, well, QTEs and I've never been a massive fan of fighting games, so having to memorize a number of precise button combinations for distinct situations just doesn't gel particularly well with me.

What I really loved about Metal Gear Rising was that the entire game had a relatively simple set of core moves and mechanics that left player with a ton of room for improvement, and combo system was then placed on top of all that. The system was simple, elegant, yet fairly hard to master.

Then there's the character of Bayonetta that I find hugely unlikable (and for some reason rather unattractive), supporting cast which ... Doesn't seem particularly interesting either and generally writing which is massively over the top and self-conscious while not being particularly funny. Which wouldn't be that much of a problem if nearly 3 hours of the 10 hour playtime weren't un-interactive cutscenes (problem that Metal Gear Rising had too incidentally, but at least they were funny or interesting.)

All in all I'm not saying it's a bad game, can't be really considering how many fans of character action games consider it peak of the genre - but it didn't really click with me. And I'm kinda sorry about dropping 15 bucks on it.

So... I suppose I'll go finish Titanfall 2 again because that was a blast.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Finished Nier: Automata. You know, I was kind of wishing for a...

...director's cut mode/developers mode and then when the credits rolled the 'debug mode' unlocked!

There is still a bit left to explore in Nier: Automata but I am about to jump into Persona 5 tonight. Let's see if I'll have more fun with Persona 5 than I did with Nier: Automata. different games but still I wonder which one of them will be more GOTY material to me.  

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

All right, I can't seem to enjoy Bayonetta at all./quote]

Same here, I tried it on consoles, both the first and second and like yourself, I much prefer MGR - I really think that's Platinum's best. I also liked Transformers: Devestation but it was so short. I can live without everything else from Platinum :p