What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

To be fair, I don't think there was much to wrap up - ultimately, the themes Nier: Automata worked with were much more important to it than the world or storytelling in itself, which is really interesting.

I suppose that's true, but then what's the point of getting invested into the story if there's no resolution? Though having heard about Yoko Taro's storytelling style, the next game will probably tell us how everyone died in a futile way and the situation somehow got even worse in the even farer future.

Regarding Nier : Automata...

The game basically tries to break the 4th wall without telling the player. Life is ultimately full of pain and misery and the only way to get out of that cycle is to stop(playing the game).

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I still don't think the resolution really means a lot without the buildup. In other words, the buildup is as important as the resolution ends up being.

True.

The game basically tells you the premise before it starts, but you have to 'walk the way' in order to understand it I think.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I finished Thimbleweed Park.  So the question going in was "Do Ron Gilbert and Garry Winnick still have the magic they had 30 years ago?"  The answer is yes.  Thimbleweed Park is great.  It's a great tribute to LucasArts games and a great game in its own right that could take the Pepsi Challenge with the classics.  It's clever, funny, I didn't find any of the puzzles to be particularly ridiculous (then again I have been playing adventure games my whole life, so I may just be in tune with moon logic).  It's also a pretty long game.  It took me some 12 1/2 hours to finish, which is quite long for an adventure game.  I'm used to 6-10 hours.  The game definitely didn't outstay its welcome, though.  I enjoyed it throughout.  Satisfying ending too.

I wonder what's next for Ron Gilbert?  I'm looking forward to whatever it is, whether he collaborates with Garry Winnick again or not.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

^I'm curious too but have no desire to actually play the game

Putting Expeditions Viking aside to wait for some patches so mayble I'll give DoW:3 another shot. I hate campaigns that have you jumping between the factions and the gameplay hasn't been that great.

Edit- I also just googled the endings

Shame DoW 3 seems to be kind of meh. Guess that's joining Civ 6 and DX:MD in games I will grab in 3 years at a huge discount.

Probably should finish Cosmonautica's story at some point, mostly grinding away with cash. Need to find a place that makes medicine, that'll sell like hot cakes,

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really dislike CIv 6 and I am huge fan of Civ 5

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Civ 5 never held me like 4 or 2 did. Maybe the even ones are the good ones.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Civ 5 never held me like 4 or 2 did. Maybe the even ones are the good ones.

Biggest boon for Civ 5 was hex grid

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

So basically Thimbleweed Park is what Broken Age should have been?

Basically yes. Where Broken Age ultimately wound up being a disappointing meh (except the art, which was fantastic), Thimbleweed Park delivered about as well as I could have possibly hoped for. If this game had been released during the golden age of adventure games we'd be referencing it today as one of the classics.
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Regarding Nier : Automata...

The game basically tries to break the 4th wall without telling the player. Life is ultimately full of pain and misery and the only way to get out of that cycle is to stop(playing the game).

Hmm, why does this remind me of Dragon's Dogma...?

I loved Dragon's Dogma on PS3. Only problem was the resolution and fps gave me a headache, it's on my list to get on pc though.

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Playing a lot of Civ VI at the moment, with a few mods (modding the UI is a musthave and also added a large bunch of usermade civilizations). My biggest gripe with the game is the AI, which still needs a *lot* of work, and unfortunately I don't think it will ever reach a level where I find it satisfactory (Civ V sure didn't). That said, the latest patches have improved it a bit so it's at least heading in the right direction.

I also think the game needs some lategame activity to shake things up a bit, like the World Congress in V.

That being said, I enjoy the game quite a lot. Civ V never felt complete to me until BNW was released (and even then I had many problems with the game) but Civ VI feels remarkably complete at the moment in terms of what is in it. It's just that... well, the AI doesn't know what to do with it, and there are many balancing issues.

But yeah, I'm having fun. Civ IV still reigns supreme but it's nice to have something different too.

Also playing some Expeditions: Viking which is... both better and worse than Conquistador. There are some things that annoy me *so bad*, like how they removed the preparation phase of combat from Conquistador. Which means that the game just decides if you or your enemies move first in combat with no way to set up. So, for my character, who is a squishy archer guy, well... that guy always leads the party so when combat starts, he is always in the front row. Not to mention that if enemies move first, it's very probable that one of your dudes will just go down because... well, you can't really do anything to affect starting positions or anything. 

It's *such* a dumb design decision.

That said, roleplaying in a historical setting like this still has a certain undeniable charm, just like Conquistador did. It's pretty unique in that regard, and when it's good it really is good. But... I really had higher hopes that it would feel like a bigger improvement over Conquistador.

Other than that, I'm *really* tempted to buy Battle Brothers.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Also playing some Expeditions: Viking which is... both better and worse than Conquistador. There are some things that annoy me *so bad*, like how they removed the preparation phase of combat from Conquistador. Which means that the game just decides if you or your enemies move first in combat with no way to set up. So, for my character, who is a squishy archer guy, well... that guy always leads the party so when combat starts, he is always in the front row. Not to mention that if enemies move first, it's very probable that one of your dudes will just go down because... well, you can't really do anything to affect starting positions or anything. 

Can't agree more, I was so frustrated by this yesterday that I just stop playing. I can see ambush group from miles away but I can't attack them from range and when I enter combat there are 3 archers which just focus fire 2 of my characters without shields and down them instantly GRRR

• Like 2

on other hand, did anyone noticed how narrator in Stellaris is soo similar to Alpha Centauri? :)

Lately, I've been playing some of the Marvel Heroes Beta on the PS4 and have been really enjoying it.  Just a fun past time to spend 15-30 minutes here and there.  The loot is fun and I don't mind that the loot doesn't change your appearance like most other games.  I know it may be a turn off for some, but I really like how the map is split up quite a bit and you're able to get through the segments at a decent pace.  Looking forward to the release.

Also, putting in a little bit of time in Portal Knights and enjoying that building process.  I got away from those types of games, (really had fun with Terraria) and enjoy the small elements of character progression.

Eyeing up the sale on Dragon Quest Builders on the PS4 and was looking to find if anyone has put in anytime and could say a few words about it.  Thanks!

For Vikings I started giving everyone shields in their default set and just switching to attack. It's gamey but it cut down on me losing people in the opening turns since you can block and deflect an unlimited amount of ranged attacks

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

For Vikings I started giving everyone shields in their default set and just switching to attack. It's gamey but it cut down on me losing people in the opening turns since you can block and deflect an unlimited amount of ranged attacks

doing same, but don't have enough shields

my viking dumped strength, agility & constitution

iPLJT0i.jpg

I understood that reference.

Also, I'm liking the game a lot more than Conquistador. I met Odin BTW.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sooo.....I loved/love Final Fantasy XV, but this new leaderboard, weekly events they've begun is turning it into some kind of half-arsed online game. Not a multiplayer game, just an online game (there will be a MP DLC eventually, tho). The earlier limited-time hunts were brief fun for a nice one-time reward. The leaderboard stuff is a bit annoying and for a potentially new player, extremely annoying in some cases. eg, new player fishes for the first time ever and might see/have to click through a dozen "fishing quest active/how to fish/scores will be...." menu messages before and after they fish. Wouldn't be a great 1st impression. Or when ranking quests auto-trigger when you go near the area, whether you want them to or not. Annoying even to someone like me, if they wanted to start a new game and don't care about any of that.

The worst is that the current leaderboard task is a combat oriented one, whereby 75% of those who know about a certain super-glitch is abusing the glitch to get impossible high scores/rankings, and so far SE seems to care not at all. Not that I care about rankings. It's just stupid. The glitch, btw, is/would be harmless fun in a SP game but ruinous to a "leaderboard" function. Shades of Diablo2 cheating. Is this a single-player game or an online MMO. I'm not really sure anymore.

What is it with dev's nowadays - not everything has to have some kind of "online" component or MP awkwardly attached to it 8 months later.

I'm still ticked that either SE or Sony doesn't allow small DLC to be hard-saved into a single-player SAVE FILE. Have to be 'net connected for weapon DLC to be loaded into your game. If you're not, those little items you paid for disappear from chr. inventories/aren't available to use. wtf is up with that.

Oh well, maybe the more story-based Prompto and Ignis  DLC will still be good. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts