NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

firefox_2018-01-08_12-28-06.png

Sean Astin is now GM of the Packers.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Great games today, unlike all the awful games every other day so far of the playoffs.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

That Saints DB is going to be sick to his stomach all off-season.

So, if I told you at the beginning of the season that come conference championship Sunday the 4 QBs left standing would be: Tom Brady, Blake Bortles, Case Keenum, and Nick Foles, you'd have believed one of those names, right?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My friend said this year is the year of the Jaguars. He said that last year, and the year before that, too, but this year, I'm really hoping that he's right.

teams sure like to blow it against the patriots when up by more than a possession in the fourth.

*sigh* go eagles

No, I think the darkest timeline was the Patriots winning 4 Super Bowls. We're way past the darkest timeline at this point...and things look like they're going to get worse before they get better.

• Like 1

Well... crap... I don't like the Patriots but i have nothing against the Boston area as a whole. I have nothing but negative associations with the city of Philadelphia but I have nothing against (or for) the Eagles. So I just hope the game doesn't suck. I won't care who wins.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is a pretty good (if biased, it's Deadspin after all) article about the '87 NFL Strike. I remember that pretty clearly but had forgotten some of the details. I'm going to have to check out the book the article is based on. https://deadspin.com/the-1987-nfl-players-strike-created-the-modern-nfl-1819152183

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'll admit, I'm pro-Patriots, but only because Brady went to Michigan.

As a Browns fan, I've found it hard to care about the playoffs since the '80s, though...

does not compute.  browns fan and michigan fan?  is not what we would expect.  regardless, am old enough such that we still hold fielding yost's bigotry 'gainst the school. the three things fielding yost, the son o' a confederate officer, hated most, in order, were losing, blacks and catholics. took decades for the michigan program to shake off the foulness o' yost, who is nevertheless regarded as a kinda patron saint o' michigan football. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Far more important than the Super Bowl, the XFL is coming back.

:wowey:

Creation of the XFL killed NBC's Saturday night line-up at the time - I don't think I can forgive that.  That cliffhanger on The Others was brutal and deserved resolution. :)

Anyhow, Lawrence Brooks, an 108 year old WWII veteran and Saints fan was given Superbowl tickets by the Saints' Cam Jordan:

https://www.facebook.com/neworleanssaints/videos/1607606329286926/

http://wgno.com/2018/01/24/108-year-old-wwii-veteran-gets-super-bowl-tickets-thanks-to-cam-jordan/

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

am not the tv guy amentep is, but our recollection is saturday night prime time were genuine prime in the 70s, but kinda dwindled ever since.  maybe not friday night bad, but did the xfl actual displace shows which were given a real chance to survive? 

to keep 'bout football, am understanding why enoch, as a giants fan living in washington dc, might have negative feelings 'bout boston and philadelphia teams.  even so, am gonna admit last year's game were having similar pregame appeal for us as is the current incarnation o' the SB, but am needing to recognize how the 2017 game ended up being one o' the more memorable and entertaining... evar.  however, 2017 felt like an off year for SB commercials, and am knowing folks who genuine only watch the game for the commercials.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What I read at the time (and have seen repeated since then) is that NBC had lost their NFL rights, so the jumped at the chance to broadcast the XFL.  They broadcast XFL games primetime on Saturday (Sunday games were aired by TNN and UPN) necessitating the removal of those shows NBC had on Saturday as they had no where else in their schedule to put the additional hours (and they needed to cut shows as they were staking 50% in the XFL).

Here's a variation on the same story, from James Longworth's TV Creators: Conversations with America's Top Producers of Television Drama:

In what will go down in history as the mother of all programming mishaps, NBC in 2000 made a deal (against Ancier's advice) with Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation for a 50 percent ownership stake in the newly formed XFL (short for "Extreme Football League").  Put simply, the XFL was faux football, complete with wrestling style announcers (including Minnesota Governor Jesse "the Body" Ventura), scantily clad cheerleaders, and the promise of on-field body contact that would make the NFL look like a Pop Warner contest.  In order to accommodation the deal, NBC jettisoned its entire Saturday-night drama line-up consisting of Profiler, Pretender and The Others, all of which had comprised a "Thrillology" that was attractive to advertisers.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I doubt it's going to be more popular this time around

I can only speak for myself as I doubt many people really care but the CTE thing in the NFL is bad enough and this league is touting bigger and harder hits and these athletes get paid waaaay less

Free games updated 3/4/21

Pretty sure Trump will bring back the USFL next.

only football league for which we see potential personal trump involvement is:

https://lflus.com/

doubt he would take an ownership role, but will no doubt be volunteering for largely ministerial, but no doubt hands-on, cup-check *wink* enforcement.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1