What You Did Today

Tale

Whelp... My next few weeks are going to be INSANE in the membrane.

I've been moved back to Ames for work, But the other person who worked with me turned in her two weeks. Yesterday was her last day. 

So now I'm the only person to run this place from 730 to 530 m-f and 9-12 on saturday. Plus anything extra to ensure I'm ready for the next day.

This is going to be unique.

I hope that does not last long. You will burn out quick!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Whelp... My next few weeks are going to be INSANE in the membrane.

I've been moved back to Ames for work, But the other person who worked with me turned in her two weeks. Yesterday was her last day. 

So now I'm the only person to run this place from 730 to 530 m-f and 9-12 on saturday. Plus anything extra to ensure I'm ready for the next day.

This is going to be unique.

I hope that does not last long. You will burn out quick!

If it lasts longer than a month my boss is going to have to find a way to spare me a bit. As it is, earning 12/13 bucks an hour, (I've been 14 for 3 weeks) I'm on pace to earn 30k by the end of the year before taxes.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Its my daughters 16th birthday today. Its amazing how fast time flies!

Nice one :)

What are you doing to celebrate, whats it like having a 16 year old? Do you allow her to date and do you meet her boyfriends...sorry for the questions I am just interested :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Its amazing how fast time flies!

so says the guy not in close proximity to a black hole.

regardless, congratulations to you and your family... and try not to dwell on the cost o' a college education nowadays.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What are you doing to celebrate, whats it like having a 16 year old? Do you allow her to date and do you meet her boyfriends...sorry for the questions I am just interested :)

Shes a big fan of Jameson's Charhouse so the family and extended family are gathering there tonight. Having a 16yo is a study in being ignored. :lol: Yes, shes allowed to date and I absolutely meet the boyfriends. 

regardless, congratulations to you and your family... and try not to dwell on the cost o' a college education nowadays.

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks! She wants to go to Columbia College IL, so I'm not looking forward to that. Its not totally outrageous but still like 10k more / year than Illinois State.

• Like 1

Shes a big fan of Jameson's Charhouse so the family and extended family are gathering there tonight. Having a 16yo is a study in being ignored. :lol: Yes, shes allowed to date and I absolutely meet the boyfriends. 

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks! She wants to go to Columbia College IL, so I'm not looking forward to that. Its not totally outrageous but still like 10k more / year than Illinois State.

south loop, yes? some kinda actor/media college? no football team, so am admitting ignorance o' the school.  nifty neighborhood as am recollecting.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

south loop, yes? some kinda actor/media college? no football team, so am admitting ignorance o' the school.  nifty neighborhood as am recollecting.

HA! Good Fun!

Good memory! Even factoring in my significant bias, shes pretty good at creative writing and wants to pursue that field. I would greatly prefer she looked into fields with more real world applications, but hey, gotta let dreams flourish.

State.

Gfted1 is it your wife who has the big family that you see over Xmas?

Listening to your stories its nice to see a happy family doing normal things that are appreciated  :thumbsup:

I wanted to get married and have kids but these things dont always work out, also I would want to be in love to have a family ..and I'm finding love haaaaaaaaard to find in the flesh pits of JHB  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

the water is finally back and i had the chance to wash myself. one thing i learned from this is that my hair smell like vomit if left unwashed for more than 3 days.

however my luck would not allow me to enjoy something without giving me some pain to go along with it, so when i was helping my father cut some logs, under one of them was a wasp nest and i got stung in the ear. good thing i'm not allergic and i have quite high natural resistance to all sorts of drugs and poisons so besides the initial pain there were no other effects like swelling

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

we got a pathological, knee-jerk, violent reaction to bees, wasps, hornets, yellowjackets and the like.  one o' the many jobs we had in our youth were as a caddy at a nearby golf course.  the job weren't nearly as amusing as caddyshack might lead you to believe.  anywho, am recalling one particular sunny august day we worked as a caddy.  the deuce ahead of Gromnir's group were a bit slow, so we had a couple minutes o' wait time at the 4th tee. we sat on a bench.  the bench, unbeknownst to us, had a hornet's nest affixed to the underside.

thus began one o' the more traumatic experiences o' our younger years.  we were stung dozens o' times, including eyelid and nostril. got up our shirt, but not our pants. thank god for small favors, eh? we ran.  we rolled on ground. we howled. much o' the experience is difficult to actual recall, but am certain o' the running, rolling and howling. 

regardless, even now, when we see a black and yellow flying insect with a stinger, our initial reaction is to kill.  savage id channeling. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Its my daughters 16th birthday today. Its amazing how fast time flies!

It seems like just yesterday you were talking about her being in elementary school...hope she has a happy birthday!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Job front sure got interesting. Hm.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You get some new offers?

Nah. Buyout of my company, so things are a little in the air

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Spent today where the one-percent maintain real estate assets. The kind of neighborhood with armed security at the gate, equestrian crossings, citrus groves, and phoenix palms standing sentry. By the time I left, I looked down at the check-engine light and realized my best and only skill is underachievement.    

All Stop. On Screen.

I ordered a present for myself today. Well, I really should say pre-ordered. It hasn't come out yet: http://bondbullpup.com/?utm_source=bondarms.com&utm_medium=hompage%20slider&utm_campaign=banner

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In-laws leave back to Estonia on Thursday. I can't imagine that they had a great vacation as all they do is cook and clean but my wife tells me they are having a blast, whatever floats their boat I guess. They did seem to enjoy the road trip and the renaissance festival but the rest of the month they've been here hasn't been all that eventful.

Free games updated 3/4/21

you better be ~6" away if you want to hit it. :lol:

in our experience, that is the case with all handguns.  even highly trained peace officers miss with considerable frequency at ranges o' 6', so 6" is likely best for folks who ain't acclimated to shooting handguns in high stress encounters. actually, for folks not having training and experience firing a handgun while stressed, we suspect that one o' the most ancient o' weapons, the club (or baseball/cricket bat,) is gonna be the ideal close quarters home defense weapon. 

HA! Good Fun!

Well my carry weapon is a Bond Arms Ranger II .45LC derringer. It's top effective range in 10-12 meters (15 yards) give or take. I can shoot a 4" group from there but after that it spreads out quite a bit. I've found you can mitigate that by going the a lower mass projectile. 185 gr has a flatter trajectory and less "tumble" as it loses velocity the way the traditional 250 gr LCs do when fired from a short barrel. 

I ordered this one because I don't have a bullpup action pistol in the collection. I was actually looking at the Kimber mini-9 when I saw the ad for that. I've had a mixed experience with Kimber but Bond Arms makes excellent products. It's $200 more than the Kimber but quality trumps price every day when it comes to firearms.

For personal defense I like the Ranger. It's simple, has tremendous stopping power, and absolutely will not misfire. If you need it, it will fire. The short range ins't an issue really, in terms of self defense I'd rather rely on discretion than firepower. If a threat is more than 15 yards away it isn't a threat as long as I can get away from it. I know a derringer is limited to two shots but I'm not looking to get into a firefight. If one isn't enough a dozen probably wouldn't be.

Thomas Sowell

I ordered a present for myself today. Well, I really should say pre-ordered. It hasn't come out yet: http://bondbullpup.com/?utm_source=bondarms.com&utm_medium=hompage%20slider&utm_campaign=banner

I am, admittedly, not a firearms expert (heck, it's been 20+ years since I've fired a gun), but what's the point of a bullpup configuration on a pistol?  My understanding is that it gives you more control when hip-firing a shotgun or rifle (though it seems like it would make shoulder-firing uncomfortable), but with a pistol, it seems all it would do is make powder burns more likely.

I am, admittedly, not a firearms expert (heck, it's been 20+ years since I've fired a gun), but what's the point of a bullpup configuration on a pistol?  My understanding is that it gives you more control when hip-firing a shotgun or rifle (though it seems like it would make shoulder-firing uncomfortable), but with a pistol, it seems all it would do is make powder burns more likely.

Bullpup designs are for managing and making efficient use of recoil as well as reducing barrel length. In this pistol it's more about space saving. Making it smaller. Unlike the H&K designs the barrel in this pistol moves and rotates with the action. That means a longer barrel without a longer slide. This pistol has the same number of lands and grooves as the Kimber mini 9 and the Ruger P-90 but weighs 4 oz less and has a 2.5" shorter profile. 

I like it because it's a Bond and because it's an engineering oddity. 

Thomas Sowell