Games you want that'll likely never exist

Barothmuk

Frustration is the antithesis of horror.

I... Actually tend to disagree. Horror in Bloodborne works because you're constantly threatened, and sadly, in challenge lies frustration when it comes to videogames. Lovecraftian horror, among other things, makes protagonist vulnerable, sends him into a spiral of insanity he can't prevent - funnily enough, these concepts translate exceptionally well into From software's formula. I'd say they did much better job of this than frictional games with Amnesia in spite of giving you means to defend yourself - but, well, From software games are hardly for everyone (DISCLAIMER: This is not in any way, shape, or form me telling you that you suck - personally I don't think Souls-like games are actually that difficult as long as you're patient enough)

A turn-based Exalted game that somehow manages to actually include the bonus dice for cool descriptions bit

A turn-based, well written 4E D&D game

Wizardry 9

I'll second a (turn-based) Weird West RPG

A turn-based RPG centered around sailing and exploring in a fantasy universe

Turn-based WH40k RPG

Orcs Must Die 3

Frustration is the antithesis of horror.

I... Actually tend to disagree. Horror in Bloodborne works because you're constantly threatened, and sadly, in challenge lies frustration when it comes to videogames. Lovecraftian horror, among other things, makes protagonist vulnerable, sends him into a spiral of insanity he can't prevent - funnily enough, these concepts translate exceptionally well into From software's formula. I'd say they did much better job of this than frictional games with Amnesia in spite of giving you means to defend yourself - but, well, From software games are hardly for everyone (DISCLAIMER: This is not in any way, shape, or form me telling you that you suck - personally I don't think Souls-like games are actually that difficult as long as you're patient enough)

Strongly disagree. Being careful because the game is hard and you don't want to lose progress isn't the same as being scared. In Bloodborne, I never ran away because a monster was scary. I ran away because I didn't have enough hit points or because they were a bitch to defeat. Games like Amnesia or Alien Isolation (which also had a decent way to defend yourself in the flamethrower) had me hiding in the corner because I thought there might be a monster around - even when there wasn't. It's an irrational fear. Bloodborne didn't give me any pause until the monster was already there, and then I'd only stop or leave because I didn't have the items, skill or patience to deal with it. There's fear in not wanting to lose your stuff, but it's a rational fear. It's tension, not horror. Not saying Bloodborne is a bad game, it's great when you want a challenge and that leads to a lot of moments of excitement and tension, but tense is not scared and Bloodborne is certainly not a horror game.

EDIT: Then again, if Resident Evil can be counted as a horror game, so can Bloodborne. So I'll amend my original statement to "A Cthulhu-based horror game that is actually good and scary" instead of just good. Early parts of Dark Corners of the Earth scratched that itch, but then it became a frustrating and annoying shooter full of bugs.

Edited by TrueNeutral

When I was younger I was always frustrated with Nintendo for not making a Pokemon 3D adventure-rpg in a huge open world, similar to the gameboy Pokemon games. Seemed like pretty much the easiest way ever to make tons of money, and there's so much potential there too - the 2d games were great. Even now I'd pay lots of money for a game like that.

In general I just want more open world rpgs with strong narratives. Think The Witcher 3, but with more fun "world exploration" like Morrowind for example had.

Wouldn't mind Blizzard remaking WC3 either. Not for the campaign, but for the online multiplayer. SC2 doesn't do it for me, too much focus on basebuilding and macro, way too stressful - I love WC3 because I prefer the focus on heroes and micro-managing small armies.

• Like 1

A Cthulhu-based horror game that is actually good.

I thought we got that in 1993 and 1995. :D Oh right, forgot 1992.

Which ones are those? I might give 'em a try. I was probably too young to appreciate Lovecraftian stuff at the time.

When I was younger I was always frustrated with Nintendo for not making a Pokemon 3D adventure-rpg in a huge open world, similar to the gameboy Pokemon games. Seemed like pretty much the easiest way ever to make tons of money, and there's so much potential there too - the 2d games were great. Even now I'd pay lots of money for a game like that.

Oh yeah, ditto.

Edited by TrueNeutral

A serial killer game where you have to outwit investigators to avoid being caught.

A super smash brothers like game but featuring gods and other fictional myths instead of nintendo characters.

A rtwp rpg with an isometric view featuring infiltration and squadbased combat in a modern day or near future universe.

A RPG with a well designed classless system, no filler content, good turnbased combat, interesting and reactive narrative, easy modding, and multiplayer functionality. Preferably with a weird fantasy or science fantasy setting.

An apocalypse game that takes place during an apocalyptic event and sees your character or party or whatever trying to survive. Think Fallout during the great war.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wrote this in another thread: I'd like an RPG that plays like Jagged Alliance: Back in Action but maybe a bit simplified/pollshed gameplay: better production value than JA : p, on a big open world/setting like Arma 3's Altis map(could be too big tho), where player character leads some sort of company(companions with personality/quests not just a mercenary roster to choose from, that could be optional), a bit more complex base building than what's in state of decay, managing the base, roles to fill with companions... lots of factions-conflicts etc. MAKE IT! : D

Basically I want to play Arma 3 as a party based top down RTwP cRPG(also with cover system) with the same fidelity, DAO'like cinematic conversation system, more and varied factions, much less military/armored vehicle presence.

Wish I could enjoy turn based gameplay.

Strongly disagree.

Italically disagree. Uuu, I know - Bold disagreement from Italy with Underline. There we go.

Eeee, right, anyway: I generally don't feel scared while playing horror games, 'tense' pretty much describes what I feel while playing most of them (Then there's 'annoyed' when they use too many jumpscares), and Bloodborne definitely made me feel tense, just like Alien: Isolation (which is probably my #1 horror game I have ever played purely for the horror). It just made me feel tense for different reasons - I feared the unknown, and the game never really gave me much space to get a good look at enemies so even the whole "Unimaginable horror" thing kinda worked. But sure, I can definitely see where you're coming from - horror is pretty difficult to point out purely due to different ways different people experience it.

Shipwreckers is now called homeworld - deserts of k-somethingsomething.

Cardassia. Deserts of Cardassia.

*sigh*, I wish.

Strongly disagree.

Italically disagree. Uuu, I know - Bold disagreement from Italy with Underline. There we go.

Eeee, right, anyway: I generally don't feel scared while playing horror games, 'tense' pretty much describes what I feel while playing most of them (Then there's 'annoyed' when they use too many jumpscares), and Bloodborne definitely made me feel tense, just like Alien: Isolation (which is probably my #1 horror game I have ever played purely for the horror). It just made me feel tense for different reasons - I feared the unknown, and the game never really gave me much space to get a good look at enemies so even the whole "Unimaginable horror" thing kinda worked. But sure, I can definitely see where you're coming from - horror is pretty difficult to point out purely due to different ways different people experience it.

It had to be done. If I had disagreed anymore I'd have written it out in 1337-speak. :lol: But yes, horror is really subjective. I feel like the key difference is rational vs emotional. I can understand that some people don't find Amnesia scary - that game practically requires you to be easily immersed to be effective, but the people who do find it scary do so not because they're afraid of losing hit points but because they have an emotional reaction. An instinctive fear of what's out there. Alien Isolation worked for me on much the same level for the most part, but the effect was diminished by how often you run into the alien and the whole "do this entire section again" if you die frustration. While Amnesia stayed scary for me up until the ending, Alien Isolation went from me screaming "get away from me" in terror to the more frustrated "oh you again, piss off" after a couple of hours. The alien went from being a scary threat to an annoying obstacle. Hence why I say frustration is the opposite of horror. When you start thinking of the horror aspects in terms of gamey obstacles to overcome it loses its threat on an emotional level. Length and exposure are also big factors - Alien Isolation was simply too long in my opinion and the Alien was everywhere. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Which ones are those? I might give 'em a try. I was probably too young to appreciate Lovecraftian stuff at the time.

I doubt. They haven't aged well. Anyway, it's Alone in the dark (1992), Shadow of the comet (1993) and Prisoner of Ice (1995).

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I wrote a reply earlier today, but my phone ate it as Majek was posting at the same time (and the phone freaked out trying to show the "post while you were typing" warning).

So I'd like an "Open World" Necromunda game, including turf wars, exploring the underhive. Zombie plagues, chaos cults, genestealer infestations. Spire nobs slumming it and using the poor folks for sport. And a House Esher ganger very graphically beating up the player character in a long cut-scene for trying to romance her.

I'd also like a modern day fantasy game in which the player can seamlessly change from the mundane world to the various other realms, with changes affecting all of them.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Some more ideas.

19th century Jules Verne-ish setting, a isometric real time roguelike, No health bar or inventory, just realistic portrait of your health and whatever you can carry around. So more or less game over if you break a leg or get some serious disease. Depends on the goal youd' have.

An rpg with any of  these settings , all without magic:

-Nazi elves

-Cyberpunk elves, dwarves,... basically Shadowrun without magic and dragons...

-Orcs and elves,... in space. 

xD

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

19th century Jules Verne-ish setting, a isometric real time roguelike, No health bar or inventory, just realistic portrait of your health and whatever you can carry around. So more or less game over if you break a leg or get some serious disease. Depends on the goal youd' have.

Not really quite what you're after, but have you tried these two? I've had much more fun with them than I ever expected to.

... Yes, I'm mostly just sticking around to recommend stuff. Actually, I'm sticking around to find anything that sounds remotely similar and keep recommending Sunless Sea.

-Orcs and elves,... in space.

Yes, I'm glad we all agree that WH40k classical RPG needs to become a thing.

• Like 1

Eternal Darkness 2. ;)

My personal dream game has no defined genre or structure. What I want for any game is to give me the same experience that the first playthrough through PS:T and Zelda: Ocarina of Time gave me: To be lost so completely in the game that time stops being noticable. For me these two games were the pinnacle of immersion, the perfect gaming experience never to be reached again afterwards.

Oh, that is also probably one of the reasons why I hate Mass Effect 3 so much. The game came this close to reaching a similar level only to end the way it did.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Silent Storm 3: Exactly the same combat/destruction as in the former games, but in an open world. The biggest weakness of the Silent Storms were the room sized levels. Everything else was great.

Stalker 4: *sob* One of the best game series ever. I want more!!

Fallout: New Vegas 2 (with some world building help from Bethesda): Get on it, Feargus!

Gothic: Remastered: now with shiny DX12 graphics, smooth animations, max 3 crashes per hour (still an improvement), Gothic 2 controls. Did I just win an award for most unrealistic wish?

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

1. An RPG where equipment is important, rare and plays an important strategic role, rather than being another time sink.
  2. A living, interactive and reactive world as we saw twenty plus years ago.
  3. Any game featuring NPC routines like we saw twenty plus years ago.
  4. A mixture of systemic within scripted reactivity that combines the two to new heights.
  5. Games with strong thematic elements that equal what we saw Mr Garriot exploring at the height of his success.
  6. Combat as good as JA2 or ToEE if turn based, or Severance: Blade of Darkness if real time.
  7. Art design and world building that is supported mechanically and not destroyed by the games features.
  8. Imagination, dreamworlds and flights of fancy that adhere to their own laws.
  9. Fantastical elements being understood and not used to excuse internal inconsistency by those whom don't realise that the fantastic is seperate from the mundane, and therefore helps define it, not excuse anything.
  10. Ambition, fantasy has become so dull and tired, magic relegated to being another weapon, enemies being another thing to grind, it's time someone provided an alternative to this.
  11. Attractive, good and likeable characters whom the protagonist feels are worth fighting for, and worth saving, a simple thing but something I miss.
  12. Gameworlds which the player can become lost within, but is perfectly happy when being in such a state.
  13. Mature, self motivated, independent and serious NPCs, whom even if possessed of a wicked sense of humour are not desperate to please the protagonist or endlessly trying to be liked with sub par Joss Whedon witticisms. Think more Wilde, Shakespeare and Chaucer than Buffy.
  14. The art design of Poe when it comes to weapons and armour, one of the strongest points of the game, and a standout for the whole genre, well done artists and Mr Karranthian (a little bit) as well.
  15. Smaller settings with massive amounts of depth. As a GM I regularly challenged myself to improve the settings I presented to my characters while restricting geographical boundaries. Filled with more detail, reactivity and personality the areas designed became far more impressive than the sprawling theatres novice GMs are so enamoured of. Somewhat reminiscent of a short story as opposed to a bloated novel, instead of vomitting verbiage over the readers I had to use every word to maximum effect, and score a touch, a palpable touch.

However hope is the first step on the road to disappointment as all know.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

A sandbox Pro-Wrestling game where you can venture outside the ring and arena --into the outside world and do some real public mayhem. Carjack my way up to a tank and face off against some superheroes.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Tooling around with Rome TW2. Sparta keeps declaring war on me and then offering me money for peace, is quite weird.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Colonization era fantasy strategy RPG. You are put in charge of establishing a colony on a new continent filled with exotic monsters and primitive people. The decisions you make through the game determines how your colony develops and its relationship with natives and rival colonies.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg