RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I always find it fascinating that this:

It's a shame we can't charge for trolling. Maybe there should be a law....

I'm just calling you out on your bull****.

You write all these words about cultural significance and preserving of blah blah, to justify not paying for other people's work. It's nauseating.

It's just your opinion and it's worthless.

is the low level of argumentation you should always expect to pop up when discussing piracy/copyright laws. I suppose what sets these boards apart from most places I've seen around the internet are people like Amentep, Hurlshot or Nonek who approached the opposing argument from an actually reasonable standpoint and I do thank you for this. Now I finished going trough the old piracy topics and ... Well, came up pretty much empty, really. Either morality of piracy or definition of what "stealing" is gets discussed, which is futile for quite obvious reasons. But any pro-piracy arguments pointing out pretty obvious elephants in the room remain conveniently ignored.

See, funny thing is that circa 2008 or so, I peaked in my extreme anti-piracy views, but got into some arguments on a few discussion boards and when looking for ways to counter those arguments, I just came up empty. It's one of the few topics that discussion boards managed to change my mind about, which I suppose is why I like to discuss it (and I swear this is my closing post on the topic and I won't derail the news topic with it any further.)

Edited by Fenixp

I remember the first videos of it, and it looked really interesting. Then I found out it was multi-player/online only.

There's a small chance it could be day Z with high production value based on what I could gather, and of course it might be ****, but even Ubisoft can make a good game by accident.  

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

So Deserts of Kharak is out in like 3 days. 

I have to admit that i'm holding out a little hope for this title, despite experience saying this is the first step on the road to disappointment. The recent "Transmission" trailer has left me intrigued and far more enthused, especially because (with what we know of the original game) the antagonist is basically in the right, and the protagonists will doom Kharak through their actions and ignorance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbXYmmsARe8

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I immediately wrote off the new Homeworld when it didn't take place in the void of space. Having looked at it since though, the game appears to have a great deal more in common with Ground Control than its namesake, but that's not a complaint. I loved both series. I may give this one a chance.

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 1

I find the choice of franchise for this particular title utterly bizarre, but there's so few RTS games that I find it difficult to write off any of them. I just hope it won't completely rape the Homeworld's lore, which was one of its strongest parts.

I just hope it won't end up being always the same gameplay in every mission except for the obvious attack & defend / hold scenarios.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

<<Doorkickers 2: Task Force North>> announced. Transitioning from D Platoon to the 1st SFOD-Delta.

http://inthekillhouse.com/door-kickers-2-announced/

8vo8N15.jpg

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I want to believe The division will be good but it's ubisoft, so thank god they're giving us that stress test/beta/ whatever for a weekend so i can judge, just how much work they still need to do before i'm commited to buying it.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

is the low level of argumentation you should always expect to pop up when discussing piracy/copyright laws. 

You're arguing 2 + 2 = 5. No-one's interested in discussing on that level, but feel free to keep on giving yourself thinly veiled compliments and pretend we're not arguing with you because of your superior wit and intellect. I expect no less.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I want to believe The division will be good but it's ubisoft, so thank god they're giving us that stress test/beta/ whatever for a weekend so i can judge, just how much work they still need to do before i'm commited to buying it.

I don't get the Ubihate. I've enjoyed pretty much every Ubi game I've played. Then again I've never played a NEW ubisoft game. I always play them years later after they've stopped patching.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't get the Ubihate. I've enjoyed pretty much every Ubi game I've played. Then again I've never played a NEW ubisoft game. I always play them years later after they've stopped patching.

Other than their launch issues... My issue lies with Uplay, mostly. I just don't like it, and their always online games that require it seem to have internet issues for far too long, but that goes back to launch. My other issue is that anything from them without a Tom Clancy tag involves running around an open world climbing towers to unlock the map. Farcry and Assassin's Creed both do it. Their gameplay design in those games tend to be pretty repetitious as well, but some people like that. I'm not a fan. The only exception in that design that I enjoyed was Farcry 3 Blood Dragon, but that was because the humor carried it. Last but not least, constant Assassin's Creed installments, Farcry is close behind, for a while so was Prince of Persia, but no Beyond Good and Evil 2 (However, they have teased it for years). Beyond Good and Evil was a great title, and was lost in the Ubisoft shuffle of other IPs.

Also, they overuse the term "iconic" in every interview about every game, and it grinds my gears.

My take on it is: So far I found all of these Ubisoft games *extremely* boring. Assassins Creed, Far Cry, etc. bore the hell out of me.

That one futuristic Anno game probably was the last Ubisoft game I really played for hours without yawning. Maybe because it didn't had any towers to climb? No idea...

/Edit: I don't hate Ubisoft, I just don't like most of their games.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's not hate, it's caution. I just don't want to get my hopes up too much ( the first reveal trailer years ago for the divison was effing awesome.) and then get a half baked buggy mess. When they announce a game they make it look Amazing, but nearer the game is to release more things are suddenly turning worse, graphics are just the tip. That's all. Unless it's Rayman of course. If they offer a new 2d rayman, i'll buy it without a second thought. :D BUt that doesn't sell. :/

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I will say this about Ubisoft, god bless their soul for still making games. The art is always sublime but it is the same tired formula which now seems be getting buggier by the iteration. Still they release games frequently enough that it keeps them afloat since the are filling in the gaps in between  releases. Yet I remember what Ubisoft was during the Prince of Persia days, and it just makes me sad that Ubisoft has joined the rest of the entertainment industries in their walk to mediocrity. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Gameplay video of Deserts of Kharak. Warning: TotalBiscuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRibkfPXM0&ab_channel=TotalBiscuit,TheCynicalBrit

It looks ... Ok I suppose. I mean I guess a lot of gameplay elements from Homeworld actually transferred and Homeworld approached space like desert a lot more than traditional sea equivalent, buuut it still feels weird. I guess I'll wait for some reviews especially concerning the campaign as that'll most likely be my main potential deal breaker. I'm also not a fan of what seem to be fairly small maps - long distance logistics were always a big deal in Homeworld games. Units also seem way too bullet spongy. Oh well.

Anyway, apparently, the game was supposed to be Homeworld game from the getgo but the studio failed to acquire license, Gearbox allowed them to use it later on tho.

Edited by Fenixp

Looks like the Trayus Academy and Malachor V from Kotor 2 are going to be recanonised via the Rebels TV series.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything canon wise for the overall game, though it does at least mean someone knows about it.

This is awesome. I hope Disney officially makes Kotor 2 part of Canon again. It struck me as odd that after forever and a half that it started getting official patches again. Maybe that's a sign.

• Like 1

I will say this about Ubisoft, god bless their soul for still making games. The art is always sublime but it is the same tired formula which now seems be getting buggier by the iteration. Still they release games frequently enough that it keeps them afloat since the are filling in the gaps in between  releases. Yet I remember what Ubisoft was during the Prince of Persia days, and it just makes me sad that Ubisoft has joined the rest of the entertainment industries in their walk to mediocrity. 

Or you could buy games from the developers, which still did not fall into mediocrity, and you could fill the gaps much better ;)

I really do not understand some of you. You people are complaining a lot about the state of AAA, and you are still buying AAA stuff, well yes there are some exceptions like Fallouts or Wolfensteins, but I am reading all the time how you ended up disapointed by their latest release, but still rushing to preorder their newest ****, despite your disapointment.

*shakes head*

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours