What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

I think it has something to do with the mods I was using. I turned off automatic updates so it doesn't happen again. Hopefully when the repair finishes I can try loading a different save.

Edit: Finished the repair, game crashed to desktop before getting to the menu. Downloaded new version of mod manager, did a new merge, worked and loaded my game. 3 hour ordeal resulted in success, now I can go to bed knowing I can play tomorrow.

What Mods are you using? I am interested when I start playing DA:I 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I turned off automatic updates so it doesn't happen again.

Exactly how did you do that?  I thought that option had been removed and the only three update options were:

1. Always keep this game up to date
  2. Update only when you launch
  3. High Priority - update this game before all others

Unless you play offline, my understanding was that one of those options is going to trigger.  If there is a way around that, please share.   I've lost a ton of EUIV time when Paradox redid the world map. 

F**king Krasnodar came back and beat me 4-3, so looks like I am finishing behind Zenit with OP Hulk.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now playing quite a bit of Defiance. I think I need to watch some episodes of the series to get a better grasp on the setting though.

After the pilot the TV series took a nosedive when it comes to writing quality. It only picked back up in season 3.

If you need anything though, let me know. On PC EU I am EGO 4000+ on PC US just 1000something.

Wait, Season 3 is already out?

Episode 11 comming out on Friday I think.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I didn't realize Defiance was still a thing.  I tried watching the show during the first season and just couldn't get into it.

I'm pretty far in Shadow of Mordor, according to the game I'm about 65% done with the story.  I finished everything in Gorgoroth, save for a couple of power struggle type missions, which I don't see the point in doing since I've already unlocked all the tiers of skills, I fail to see a need for more power, so I'm just doing Nurn now (which is a considerably cooler looking place).  I pretty much have every skill save for a few that story unlock and a I think 2 I need to buy with skill points: the skill that lets you throw multiple knives at once (I never bother throwing knives so whatever) and the skill that lets you chain together multiple shadow strikes (which sounds really cool, even if I don't use shadow strikes that often).  I have the majority of upgrades unlocked: max health, max rune slots on all the weapons, I just need 1 more level of focus and 2 more levels of elf-shot, plus the dagger and bow specials (I have the sword special already).  I'm mainly doing the weapon legend missions at the moment, I'm mostly 7/10 on the weapons, so I'm getting close to finished with those.

Besides that, now that I'm finished with Cradle and The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna, I'll be jumping back into X3: Albion Prelude to continue growing my galactic trading empire.  If I remember correctly (it's been a couple of weeks), I had just gotten my 2nd station up and running and was heading toward Paranid space to begin bolstering my relations with them in preparation of purchasing war ships from them in the future.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I turned off automatic updates so it doesn't happen again.

Exactly how did you do that? I thought that option had been removed and the only three update options were:

• Always keep this game up to date
  • Update only when you launch
  • High Priority - update this game before all others
Unless you play offline, my understanding was that one of those options is going to trigger. If there is a way around that, please share. I've lost a ton of EUIV time when Paradox redid the world map.

Went into the options for updates and turned off automatic updates. Was a blanket option for all games, not an individual one. On Origin too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dude, you had me until you dissed the Shadowrun setting. Talk to the hand.

1-Shadow_Run_(U)__!__001.png

Sunday got to sit in on my very first shadowrun PnP game and I'll admit, I was blown away. Dunno, lately been burnt out on video games and TV and whatnot, but after sitting and watching my friends play (they wanted me to play but creating a character takes hours lol and we only had a few to play so I declined), it's lit a fire in me. Plowing thru shadowrun returns and getting ready to start dragonfall, I'm having a blast. Been watching ghost in a shell in between my breaks.

Right now really wanna get into the lore and when I learn the mechanics, start my own games for my other friends. Saving up for the fifth edition because that's what my other friends play, but any suggestions on some one shotters or is the book that's just on lore by chance out there?

Went into the options for updates and turned off automatic updates. Was a blanket option for all games, not an individual one. On Origin too.

1. Does that actually prevent updating when you try to a launch a game that has an update available for it?

2. Where is that option? There are no options for "updates": there are the "downloads" options, but there's no option like you suggest that I can see.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think it has something to do with the mods I was using. I turned off automatic updates so it doesn't happen again. Hopefully when the repair finishes I can try loading a different save.

Edit: Finished the repair, game crashed to desktop before getting to the menu. Downloaded new version of mod manager, did a new merge, worked and loaded my game. 3 hour ordeal resulted in success, now I can go to bed knowing I can play tomorrow.

What Mods are you using? I am interested when I start playing DA:I 

I had a bunch of NPC appearance tweaks, so everyone isn't so shiny, one that changes the loot table to add more crafting materials and schematics to loot drops, and a store in Redcliffe that sells higher tier crafting materials. There really isn't much in the way of mods for it due to the file formats or something. And a lot of the mods named in top mod lists are no longer available. I believe the "Softer Cassandra" mod was taken down because the guy was being harassed by SJWs for daring to alter a strong female to make her more attractive.

1. Does that actually prevent updating when you try to a launch a game that has an update available for it?

2. Where is that option? There are no options for "updates": there are the "downloads" options, but there's no option like you suggest that I can see.

Origin>Application Settings, scroll down to Updates, uncheck "Automatically keep my games up to date"

I don't know if it prevents it from trying to update on launch, but launching in offline mode does.

Devastatorsig.jpg

My apologies...I did not look into the context of the conversation far enough to understand that when you said "On Origin too", you meant "I'm still talking about Origin", not "in addition to Steam", which is what I was actually wondering about and what I actually care about. :p Again, my bad.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Origin>Application Settings, scroll down to Updates, uncheck "Automatically keep my games up to date"

I don't know if it prevents it from trying to update on launch, but launching in offline mode does.

Apologies here as well.  I assumed you were talking about both Origin and Steam.  No matter.  But thanks for the tip on turning off updates on Origin.  :)

Dragon Age Inquisition isn't available on Steam, sadly. I would have preferred a steam version.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

History abhors a paradox.

Wrapping up Soul Reaver 2, a coalescing maelstrom of revelatory narrative brilliance, every thread, every hint and all the foretelling and manipulation over the three games are rewarded in this utterly brilliant climax. It is one of the most powerful and gripping experiences i've ever had the pleasure to play, and I remain impressed by just how coherent, nuanced and complex the plot is. Ms Hennig and her team really knocked it out of the park here, with nods back to all of the previous lore and such a change in focus from what we were expecting from the simple revenge tale told by the first Soul Reaver.

The fact that this game can forge such a coherent narrative over millenia of lore, time travelling antagonists and protagonists and the fantastic circumstances of its nature is however to me a telling condemnation on the rest of the industry. Other companies can barely handle coherency, let alone consistency, feel free to rework past lore or abandon it entirely, and frequently leave such holes in the narrative as to render it a laughable mess. I'm left wondering why this is? Is it the nature of the design process, the management of the project or a lack of quality due to no real demand, after all whatever a large company does it will have manic defence of its decision by a fanatical minority, rather than the criticism it should be desiring and needing.

When rampaging through the halls of the Sarafan Stronghold I heard Vorador roar at the cowering sheep of the Circle that they should: "Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!" Well I felt a shiver of expectation run through me. Here I was in the very scene upon which the Legacy of Kain began, and Raziel was a part of it, within earshot of the ancient Vampire and his rampage. Such a great respectful nod to its predecessor, and immensely satisfying.

I really wish more developers would work to make their games so coherent, self referential and consistent.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I hate this current lull in game releases I'm interested in.  It should end come September when I'm (relatively) looking forward to Mad Max and Metal Gear Solid V, and then carry over into October (The Witcher 3 expansion) and November (Fallout 4 and ... another game that I'm drawing a blank on).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

GTA Online. Man, the idea is neat but the loading times between missions are unbelievable! I could take a nap between the missions. 

Heavenly Sword. Button mashing awesomeness. The story is also pretty good and well told.

MGS Peace Walker & Ground Zeroes. I have to finish these two before MGS V: The Phantom Pain hits the stores. So hyped for MGS V.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Was rampaging around in GTA V, shame the game doesn't have some SoF style wounding system - blow off limbs, people die from exsanguination (that is such a nice word). Probably would murder the engine I guess. It is funny to notice the shortcuts the engine takes for the open world, particularly when streets go empty on a high building or when pedestrians vanish when they rush out of sight.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just finished Life is Strange ep4. That ending, man. And now I'll have to wait till october or something until ep5 comes out... god damnit.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

another game that I'm drawing a blank on).

XCOM2?

Actually, I think I was thinking of Star Wars Battlefront.  But now that I remember it's not really offering a single player campaign, the interest is going down.  If XCOM2 is coming out in November, I'm definitely interested in that.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I finished Shadow of Mordor.  The game bears a striking resemblance to Dying Light:  Really good game marred slightly by a really crappy QTE final boss fight (for ****s sake, devs, stop with the QTE boss fights, just stop, I beg you).  The DLCs remain, though I've heard they're not worth playing.  I'll still probably give them a try sometime in the future.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Still on Dragon Age Inquisition and I'm really annoyed with Biofail for not fixing a bug that I've seen reported repeatedly on their forums for almost a year. (Discovered that when I went searching for a solution.)

Grappling Chain stopped working a week ago. It fails to reel in any kind of enemy period. Tried starting new game, tried reinstalling and repatching the thing (PS4), and it doesn't function at all.

This is why I don't buy stuff EA makes. I thought, just maybe, they'd put more effort into their console products. I was quite incorrect in that assumption. :banghead:

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I decided to look a little bit at the old Paradox games which I bought during last GOG sale. I started with Europa Universalis. I started the Tutorial campiagn but it bugged on me twice, so I went for the Grand Campaign Scenario.

I picked Austria and first game, I decided to go right after Bohemia and annexed it in first few years, it went good, but then after few years I somehow messed up so I decided to restart the campaign. This time, I decided to go against smaller German Dukedoms. I got few of them and my Kingdom was growing, then I allied with Hungary and Poland-Lithuania and decided to go against Saxony. And because I completely skipped diplomacy, because I was always broke and on Loans, right after I attacked every neighbour decided to go against me. Well, the first wave (other German Dukedoms) was easy, I crushed them with my allies within minutes, then the second wave came (Venice, Italian Dukedoms and Spain) I was able to emerge victorious again, but two months after I made last peace, the third wave came (French, and Savoy) with the last few units I was able to put them down with little bit of bribery and giving away one sucky province, but then the first wave came again and I was like WTF and got completely destroyed. The whole war went for more than 20 or 30 years!!!

I checked few of the savegames and I found that after annexing Bavaria, Wurtemberg and Thuringen, the relation to every neighbour was at -200 O.o

Oooukey! This was the time, when I realized, that without spending ****loads of Ducats on diplomacy you get crushed into oblivion after you get to big player in warfare. I loaded the game right before the hell broke up and made sure that I had +50 relations with France and Savoy. Put some money into Spain, Hessen and Hungary as well, and right after that I successfully made Hungary into my Vassal. I amassed big armies near Bohemia borders and decided to start the war again, but this time against Bohemia. It was easy as pie this time, the war was successful after 10 years or so and I decided to give peace offer to Bohemia and annex them. But the moment I did this, Poland-Lithuania and Hungary turned against me, because I missed that our alliance expired during war. I was crushed again :'(

Time for another reload. Right before the war against Bohemia. I have done the same, just this time I have decided to go against Saxony. I made sure to check the diplomacy during the war as well and put some money into maintaining allies at the right reputation. The only way, how I was able to made this is stop all research and take all the money for the republic. The war ended victorious (I annexed Saxony without my allies turning on me), but I ended up with 15% inflation, Everything started to be expensive :(

I looked on Diplomacy screen and my neighbours and that France has stable relation to me and crazy big army (Bigger than mine after this war). So I decide to change little bit the diplomacy game and decided to ally with France and Savoy and keep very good relations with my former allies, so they do not attack me again. But I was loosing money to fast. I found out, that was caused by Auto-send Merchants feature. So I decided to turn it of and started to manage it manually, which helped me in the end to go into better results.

Budget was stable, army renewed, time for third war! This time finally against Bohemia. It was another long term mess, but I was able to annex them, during the war I won few other provinces and before it ended up, I decided to get me finally a province with a shipyard. I was at war at Parma and Genoa. So I Decided first to go against Genoa. And that was a mistake. They had stored very big army on Sardinia, about which I did not know. They decimated big chunks of my army and after 2 years I was completely defeated :( Thankfully we have save/load feature, so I reloaded and decided to go against Parma. The war ended in pretty much same mess, but I was able to keep up with the loses. I got Parma and my first harbour! The price for it was, that I had to give Hessen as a peace resolution one of the provinces which I acquired in the first phase of this war.

This was the time, when I decided to go completely peaceful. I had lot of new provinces, which now an then revolting, so I just maintained big armies to counter them. After few years the dust settled and Tuscany joined our Alliance as well. Then I found out Annex by diplomacy feature of the game. I found out that Hungary is 35 years my vassal and they got in wars with me to pretty big territories. I let my current alliance expire and boost Poland-Lithuania, Spain and Hungary reputation to big numbers, so I do not end up with new dukedoms and got attacked right away. In the end I was successful and I have in my possession most of the Central and East Europe I am back in France/Savoy/Tuscany alliance and I have not had a war for 10 years. My allies are attacking now and then, because of that, I am losing stability, but I have to first pacify the rebels in Hungary, which will take another few years. But without war, lot of money goes into my pockets, so I decided to annex diplomatically Tuscany as well. We'll see how it goes :)

Conclusion: This game is like crack, just worse. It is the prime example of one more turn and I go to sleep. I played this game through GOG Galaxy, because I wanted to see my time spent on this game. After I quit the game, I was completely shocked!!! I spent playing from Friday afternoon to Saturday 15 hours playing it... it was middle of the night and I was shocked because I have not managed to notice that... Well I decided to go little bit slower on it, and spent 2 hours on it on Saturday evening, and haven't played it today yet.

It is very old game, missing lot of rules from newer Paradox games, but I am having so much fun with it. I just have to control myself to not go into one more turn mode :p I have no problem to say that it is the best game, which I played this year! I just wish, I would have someone else to play Multiplayer with :( But first Austria has to conquer the world!!! Which is very hard, because Spain controls almost whole America, and is 300+ Victory points ahead of me. I have 240 years to catch up.

8/10 on Mamoo's chart of awesomeness. -1 point for the crazy addictiveness which does not goes good with real social life and job. If you do not care about it, it's 9/10 :p

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'm playing the Crookz demo (a playable free game demo before the game releases, why that's unheard of!).  It's an isometric (the camera is not fixed, you can rotate, zoom in and change the angle from directly overhead to only a little bit above ground), RTwP stealth game.  It's set in the 70s (or at least has a 70s theme) and you pull heists with a team of professional thieves, each with their own specialty (a runner, a lockpicker, a bruiser, etc.) working as a team to bypass security and remain unnoticed.  I've only played the tutorial and the first heist so far, so the game has been quite easy, as expected, but I really like it so far.  I don't know yet how many heists the demo will let me do, I expect 1 or 2 more at most.  The interface is really elegant.  You can pause at any time and give instructions to all your characters, you can set as many waypoints as you like and queue up instructions at each individual waypoint, you can set a "wait" instruction at any waypoint, causing that character to stop there until you give them the go ahead to continue the queue, you can delete any waypoint individually, at which point the game will automatically connect the remaining waypoints, or you can remove all waypoints at once and start over.  It's very well thought out and user friendly.  Also, the game has a 70s style funk soundtrack and I get to play as a foxy black woman with an afro, it's as if the devs made the game expressly for me.  The game comes out in a little over a week and I'm very much considering picking it up.

Edit: The demo is the tutorial and the first 3 heists.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸