Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

This makes me feel a little better about it

Why did Lin exit a thriving franchise in The Fast & The Furious for a Star Trek franchise still trying to reach that commerce level? “I was in the last week shooting True Detective when JJ Abrams called last December,” Lin said. “He asked me, do you like Star Trek? If you do, you should take this, be bold, and just go for it.’ ” Unbeknownst to Abrams — who was leaving to direct the revival of Star Wars — he called the right guy. “I thought about how much a part of my life Star Trek was,” Lin said. “Growing up, my parents had this little fish and chips restaurant in Anaheim in the shadows of Disneyland, and they didn’t close until 9 PM. As a family, we didn’t eat dinner until 10 PM, and we would watch the original Star Trek every night at 11. My dad worked 364 days a year, only took Thanksgiving off, and from age 8 to 18, the only time I could hang out with my parents was by staying late. And every night, it was Star Trek on Channel 13 in L.A. That was my childhood. All my friends were Star Wars kids but I didn’t go to the movies, so I was the Star Trek kid. Thinking about this, it became a very personal and very emotional decision.” Then it became a blur. “On Fast 6, we had a year turnaround and that was crazy. This one gave us six months to get ready, which makes it like an incredibly expensive indie movie.”

How does one put a stamp, coming into the third film of an iconic franchise? “As great as JJ’s films were, there’s still a lot to be mined from these characters,” Lin said. “They haven’t really gone on their five-year mission, so what we experienced in the TV show hasn’t been touched on yet. That sets up an opportunity for exploration and the deeper you go, the more you are examining humanity. Those are the things that I absorbed as a kid and hope to tap into and embrace and celebrate. By the time this movie comes out, Star Trek will have been around for 50 years.” Lin wouldn’t say much about the script written by cast member Simon Pegg and Doug Jung, but he said a couple things. First, Pegg isn’t in every scene as one might imagine when the script is by a member of the ensemble cast. And the plot isn’t borrowed from old Trek episodes the way the last film was. “It’s all new and fresh,” Lin said. “The Klingons, Romulans and other species are great, but it’s time to go further. It has been fun to focus on creating whole new worlds and species.”
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

"providing history of the last "20 years" from an in-universe perspective, including how Colonel Hiller (Will Smith) died..."

LAME.

Will Smith turned it down so they wrote him out of the movie. They approached every cast member of the original that lived except the girl who played the president's daughter(who is still a working actress and headlined her own movie last year so people just assumed they didn't think she was hot enough)

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Will Smith turned it down so they wrote him out of the movie."

Irrelevant.

"They approached every cast member of the original that lived except the girl who played the president's daughter(who is still a working actress and headlined her own movie last year so people just assumed they didn't think she was hot enough)"

Lame.

Anhways, the movie likes it can could be fun but  it won't lvie to its potential. Will Smith's character was a HUGE part of the original.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I did watch The Intern.

It's one of those pleasant movies. Nothing overly dramatic, action packed, or out-rightly comedic. Anne Hathaway as a slightly flighty, creative type who turned a "started in the garage" internet based fashion seller into a 200+ employee business in the space of 18 months and Robert De Niro as the retiree who gets bored and becomes a member of the "senior intern" programme. Also included is Rene Russo as the office's massage therapist..

It's nice to see De Niro working through a role that isn't some form of heavy, criminal, intense, or comedy spoof based on those styles. He just plays it as that long lived, genial, avuncular type of guy who stays polite and friendly to everyone because he's seen everything and doesn't let it bother him.

The comedy for the most part tends to be that subtle, warm-hearted fun rather than blatant one liners or physical slapstick.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

A friend is doing a showing of the 'Tolkien edit'  (the Hobbit trilogy edited down to one ~4 hour movie).. Looking forward to seeing it. Although I'm not a fan of the fact that you have to illegally obtain it, luckily he has personally pumped in the excess of 200$ into the franchise, so at least no one is being cheated :)

Especially that Simon Pegg is writing it. But yeah, it is important that such an iconic franchise is in hands that respect its established lore. That said, the original show was pretty zaney and crazy. Seeing as it is being updated to a contemporary version, they should at least also make it modern crazy, seems they are. As long as they remember to allow the setting to be 'deep' of course. 

Fortune favors the bald.

skinny wonder woman pic

am knowing it is a minor quibble, but is there any reason why gal gadot couldn't workout with jessica biel's trainer from the blade movie?

c64118ca3a4e92317bc2d415ea845d5e.jpg

just sayin...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

she doesn't look like an amazon, though :(

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

gadot doesn't have a noteworthy positive acting resume. her role in furious 7 is what gets her ww part? hope not. pick a skinny actress such as emily blunt or even kiera knightly and we would be less concerned.  we know that either o' those skinny girls can act and am near certain that they would, given the limitations o' their natural frames, workout to keep from looking ridiculous when fighting doomsday or lifting a sword... or eating a cracker. but again, most important is that blunt and knightly has acting chops.  am disappointed.  is no way gadot could improve her acting resume to dispel our concerns, but we figured that working out a bit would at least be showing that she took the role serious.  

didn't need gadot to shame cory everson.  gadot don't look bad, but she looks like a model instead o' somebody who engages in strenuous regular exercise.  isn't strong s'posed to be the new sexy?  

am also not certain why gadot gets a pass.  if henry cavill had played superman looking like that guy from the terrible axe dry spray tv commercials that is current airing, we would hear no end of criticism, yes?

again, is kinda a minor quibble.  what is gonna be important is seeing if gadot is a convincing ww on screen, but lack o' dedication in the gym does set off alarms for Gromnir.  why not add a bit o' gravitas to her frame as well as her acting resume?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

gadot doesn't have a noteworthy positive acting resume. her role in furious 7 is what gets her ww part? hope not. pick a skinny actress such as emily blunt or even kiera knightly and we would be less concerned.  we know that either o' those skinny girls can act and am near certain that they would, given the limitations o' their natural frames, workout to keep from looking ridiculous when fighting doomsday or lifting a sword... or eating a cracker. but again, most important is that blunt and knightly has acting chops.  am disappointed.  is no way gadot could improve her acting resume to dispel our concerns, but we figured that working out a bit would at least be showing that she took the role serious.  

HA! Good Fun!

That's too bad. I haven't seen a single Furious, even as much as I enjoy the Vin Diesel. 

Doesn't matter ... considered logic, fair assumptions, not even David Goyer will stop me from enjoying big-screen Wonder Woman.

Who's Cory Everson ... I'm choosing not to search the web until after Christmas.  

All Stop. On Screen.

cory everson were ms. olympia during much o' the 80s.

as an aside, it occurred to us that nowadays we gots actors/actresses/models trying to play action heroes in movies... and action hero movies is big money.  we hear how so-n'-so spent 3 months training to play _______ or that _________ worked out a bazillion hours a day to get physical prepared for the demands o' their role.  made us think o' musicals o' the 30s-50s... serious.  is hard to imagine cyd charisse or rita hayworth being daunted by the physical demands o' any modern action role.  the dancers o' the musical era endured rigorous physical training for decades.  the actors and actresses doing musicals got their parts in large part 'cause o' how athletic gifted they were.  it seems that hollywood has a demand for action stars now more than at any time since the swashbuckler films were popular, and is w/o question that hollywood is looking for more actresses who can kick arse.  nowadays you can't turn on tv w/o seeing sports drink or workout apparel commercials.  every mid-sized town in the USA has at least one gym and people is increasingly aware o' the benefits o' physical fitness.  nevertheless, it were +60 years ago that hollywood were producing its most athletic and physically capable stars. just struck us as odd.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

He Never Died

Henry Rollins first protagonist role is on this indie film which the makers wrote with him in mind so it fits him like a glove and its what makes the movie.

A smart quasi horror film with an interesting plot. I would recommend.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif