Fallout 4 is coming!

mkreku

Well, the prologue gripe is true of Fallout 3 too - I never really felt comfortable cannibalizing NPCs for fear of disappointing Liam Neeson. But yeah, voicing is hugely constricting and a strange fit for a Bethesda game.

If Bethesda gets off their asses and funds a mid-budget 3rd person turn-based Fallout spinoff series, preferably by Obsidian, I won't care how much they screw up the main Fallout games.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If Bethesda gets off their asses and funds a mid-budget 3rd person turn-based Fallout spinoff series, preferably by Obsidian, I won't care how much they screw up the main Fallout games.

Agreed.

-----------------------------

This new stuff just doesn't look nor sound very inspiring to me. While probably a swell technical achievement, it just looks like a standard fare Bethesda game. A heavily cluttered up world full of shallow pointlessness.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I just wish Beth would do the world building and let someone like Obsidian or Bioware do the story/character development/writing.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I paid about £35 for Skyrim and put about 900 hours into it...and I'll play it again after I've put a few hundred hours into Fallout 4.

Can't tell if serious. If so, very nice to make your acquaintance.

Super serious  :yes:

• Like 1

Dunno, standard price for AAA *PC* titles here has been 50euros (or the pre-euro equivalent) for as long back as I can remember (which would be dating back to the Tomb Raider/Dungeon Keeper times, which were 2000BF at launch, which is ~50euro). Console games have always been more expensive, for some unfathomable reason*

I checked Amazon and the PC version is up for 50€ on pre-order. Big AAA game tend to be 60€ on Steam.. is that where you're getting that price from?

Yeah, Steam is kinda rubbing F4 in my face all the damn time, hadn't really checked other retailers yet (shame on me, I know)...

I paid about £35 for Skyrim and put about 900 hours into it...and I'll play it again after I've put a few hundred hours into Fallout 4.

Can't tell if serious. If so, very nice to make your acquaintance.

Super serious  :yes:

900.. pffft. Lightweight.

hint : it's not the vanilla game, it's the expansions and the mods. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I just wish Beth would do the world building and let someone like Obsidian or Bioware do the story/character development/writing.

Only BioWare now.

Avellone left Obsidian and he's responsible for the only interesting parts in NV.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I read this a lot, and everytime I can't do anything but shake my head. Why the hell everyone thinks Bethesda is a pro at world building? They are not. Just look at Fallout 3 and what the game world is. Raiders around every corner, towns with 3 houses, people don't grow food or anything, everything works by Rule of Cool. This sh*t is not related to story and characters at all. The gameworld is lots of bull.

Yes, New Vegas looks a lot more empty than Fo3, but look at this:

1. It's set in a damn desert. There is only so much you can do with sand.

2. Obsidian had to remove a truckton of objects for free space on consoles, so the DLCs would work.

Only BioWare now.

Avellone left Obsidian and he's responsible for the only interesting parts in NV.

Cass and 4 of 5 DLCs?

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So what, there is only so much you can do with Gamebryo before the heart of a console dies in ultimate pain. The Strip still is bigger than the biggest populated location in all of Fallout 3. Hell, even Freeside or North Vegas is.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think the praise for Bethesda world building has more to do with their expertise at creating a visually inviting world with stuff to find and do.  The Mojave might have been realistically crafted but trekking through ten minutes of nothing to reach a distant building you can't even enter is a bummer no matter how into realism you are.

*edit*

I've said it before but Skyrim balanced worldbuilding vs funpark really well, my main concern for Fallout 4 is the writing.

Edited by WDeranged
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have tried several Beths games and I did not really enjoy any of them, though i admit i did not use much mods for them either... Morrowind was meh, Oblivion could not hold more than 2h, Skyrim was boring... really boring, and seeing bandits in high end armor pieces just killed the game for me... Fallout 3 was meh, so no really good track record... the best game under Beths flag was FO:NV developed by Obs, but even this game had hard time to get finished and explored...

I am fairly sure, no, I am sure, that I will not buy FO4 until it hits GOTY version with all DLCs on some 75% Steam summer sale...

But who else could write gems like this?

As someone who likes the folks she passes in the street to chatter a bit, I've always considered Beth's writing to be right on target.  Most casual conversation does tend to be trite and repetitive. Anything too insightful, witty, or generally memorable would stick out in a way that street conversations that you're going to overhear over and over again shouldn't.  In my opinion whether writing is "good" or not depends on its purpose, and the sorts of things you overhear in Beth games are exactly the sorts of things I'd expect to overhear if I lived in Tamriel.

The Mojave might have been realistically crafted but trekking through ten minutes of nothing to reach a distant building you can't even enter is a bummer no matter how into realism you are.

I liked the exploration in New Vegas. It actually felt like a post-apocalyptic desolation.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

But who else could write gems like this?

As someone who likes the folks she passes in the street to chatter a bit, I've always considered Beth's writing to be right on target.  Most casual conversation does tend to be trite and repetitive. Anything too insightful, witty, or generally memorable would stick out in a way that street conversations that you're going to overhear over and over again shouldn't.  In my opinion whether writing is "good" or not depends on its purpose, and the sorts of things you overhear in Beth games are exactly the sorts of things I'd expect to overhear if I lived in Tamriel.

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I ... what, too soon? ;):p

A couple of new video clips spliced into this interview.  Also the Steam product page mentions multiple joinable factions vying for control of the area plus a solo path you can take, very New Vegas-ish.

Do you come to the Cloud District very often? Oh what am I saying... of course you don't.

Sometimes I really do prefer Oblivion's random garbage dialogue as opposed to the same three or four set-pieces.

Does anyone know if Bethesda releasing the Fallout Anthology for PC is going to mean a fix for the issues with getting Fallout 3 to run on a newer machine?

Or will people who buy it still have to find workarounds to get it to run?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man