Fallout 4 is coming!

mkreku

One question:

Will this one feature a hundred sacks of bloody limbs in every dungeon heavily implying that 90% of the remaining population are murderous cannibals?

This is a serious question, actually. It set a really unsettling tone for Fallout 3. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be in a tongue-in-cheek post apocalypse or a full blown horror game.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What makes Skyrim feel small to me is quests sending me from one edge of the world to the other, and people who know each other despite living extremely far away.

What bothers me most is that the capital of a country has as few buildings as a village. I'd rather they recreate a single city well as opposed to an entire country poorly.
  • Like 1

One question:

Will this one feature a hundred sacks of bloody limbs in every dungeon heavily implying that 90% of the remaining population are murderous cannibals?

This is a serious question, actually. It set a really unsettling tone for Fallout 3. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be in a tongue-in-cheek post apocalypse or a full blown horror game.

Todd Howard thinks "mature dark setting" means "full of gore.

• Like 2

I just hope that Bethesda teams up with someone who actually knows how to make content, characters and dialogue beyond that horrible generic crap that Bethesda is known for, but I don't see any mention of that.. There are some snippets and comments ffrom the past, but.. Any light on that?

(Signatures: disabled) 

was that small? I admit I've only played Skyrim for a short while on the xbox, so it's hard for me to remember how big or small that world was, but if it's bigger than Morrowind, it will be big enough for me, provided content density is high

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

One question:

Todd Howard thinks "mature dark setting" means "full of gore.

Doom with RPG elements.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

60 euros pre-order price? They are out of their mind! Even if I were super excited about the game I wouldn't be prepared to pay that much :o

it is indeed possible that the folks at bethesda is insane, as we believe most game developers and publishers is loopy.  however, as to pricing o' the pre-order, it ain't crazy to charge 60 euros if folks is actual willing to pay 60 euros.  that you wouldn't pay 60 euros is complete inconsequential. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Isn't 60 euros the standard price for the console version of a videogame? Why would they ask for less?

Dunno, standard price for AAA *PC* titles here has been 50euros (or the pre-euro equivalent) for as long back as I can remember (which would be dating back to the Tomb Raider/Dungeon Keeper times, which were 2000BF at launch, which is ~50euro). Console games have always been more expensive, for some unfathomable reason*

But hey, if they can find enough idiots to pay that price instead of waiting for a sale and playing the like 300 other games they own in the meantime, all the more power to them...

*well the reasons are quite clear, though why people put up with it is beyond me.

Edited by marelooke

They put up with it because the balance from the $7 (or whatever it now is) licensing fee is getting a below cost/ below effective cost console. If you buy a console and then only buy second hand rather than new software for it they don't get that licensing fee and you don't pay it anyway. The console is- essentially- an equivalent to selling an automatic fly spray dispenser below actual cost because once sold the person is likely to buy lots of refill cylinders for it. Though the console can also do other non essential value added stuff too, as MS rather overemphasised during their initial on3 presentations.

PC does have similar (in effect/ result) practices which are put up with too- CPU throttling and even turning cores off, video card rebranding so the 8800 exists in four different 'generations' and the like, large profit margins for premium cards etc. They're different economic models since PC has no central authority to charge license money*, they want to fit budget, medium and high range product ranges in to maximise coverage and profits and they'll massage their product lines to achieve that, if necessary. If they felt they could license graphics cards- and they'll likely try at some stage- via a below cost sale and periodic fee they would do so. Fortunately that is practical anathema at present.

*Well, there's the 30% that a DD vendor will take off every sale on PC, which is considerably more than the ~10% licensing fee. But it isn't levied by a central authority unless you count steam as such.

They put up with it because the balance from the $7 (or whatever it now is) licensing fee is getting a below cost/ below effective cost console. If you buy a console and then only buy second hand rather than new software for it they don't get that licensing fee and you don't pay it anyway. The console is- essentially- an equivalent to selling an automatic fly spray dispenser below actual cost because once sold the person is likely to buy lots of refill cylinders for it. Though the console can also do other non essential value added stuff too, as MS rather overemphasised during their initial on3 presentations.

Which is why they do their best to try and kill the second hand market any way they can get away with, these tricks don't affect PC gamers much since you either buy new at release or dirt-cheap in a Steam/Gog/wherever sale.

PC does have similar (in effect/ result) practices which are put up with too- CPU throttling and even turning cores off, video card rebranding so the 8800 exists in four different 'generations' and the like, large profit margins for premium cards etc. They're different economic models since PC has no central authority to charge license money*, they want to fit budget, medium and high range product ranges in to maximise coverage and profits and they'll massage their product lines to achieve that, if necessary.

The CPU core thing actually had a practical reason: it allowed them to sell off CPUs with botched cores (by disabling them), which apparently happened a lot in the early days (dunno about nowadays though). People with such a CPU could sometimes re-enable these cores and sometimes they worked fine, though just as often they would kill system stability.

Also different models are pretty likely to have other differences besides the lowered clock speed (otherwise simply overclocking would get you a much more expensive card for free and you'd bet that information would spread like wildfire ;)), like slower ram or narrower buses or what-have-you.

If they felt they could license graphics cards- and they'll likely try at some stage- via a below cost sale and periodic fee they would do so. Fortunately that is practical anathema at present.

I doubt that'll be any time soon as the logistics/administration would likely be nightmarish...

Also different models are pretty likely to have other differences besides the lowered clock speed (otherwise simply overclocking would get you a much more expensive card for free and you'd bet that information would spread like wildfire wink.png), like slower ram or narrower buses or what-have-you.

It's not specifically about hobbling in a reversible way though. I look at something like, say, the 970 vs the 980 (non Ti) of the current generation and wonder if it really costs 60% more to produce a 980 as opposed to a 970 given that most of the specs are identical- the prices here are ~550NZD vs >850NZD. And looking at the wikipedia page it does seem that there was some... controversy there about whether the 970 was hobbled or nVidia lied about its specs.

If they felt they could license graphics cards- and they'll likely try at some stage- via a below cost sale and periodic fee they would do so. Fortunately that is practical anathema at present.

I doubt that'll be any time soon as the logistics/administration would likely be nightmarish...

It has no added cost to what software vendors like Adobe are already doing if they sell the cards then sell 'service plans' or whatever for the extra cash. For 'leasing' you get equivalent situations with cell phones/ call plans and computers plus various other things already; and in any case you're offloading the costs onto the consumer ultimately, so if there are admin costs you increase or otherwise massage the price to reflect that.

Corporations love that stuff. I've got a theoretically 'free' satellite TV box and a theoretically free 4g modem- but I don't of course, as they're useless paperweights unless I pay the monthly fee for content- and there's no inherent reason AMD or Nvid couldn't do that too for their cards. Monsanto do much the same for seed, of all things, Steam is a subscription rather than purchase service, all software is licensed etc. Corporates would apply it to just about everything if they could, at the drop of a hat. Fortunately they can't do it at present because of backlash, but they'd still love to in theory.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno, standard price for AAA *PC* titles here has been 50euros (or the pre-euro equivalent) for as long back as I can remember (which would be dating back to the Tomb Raider/Dungeon Keeper times, which were 2000BF at launch, which is ~50euro). Console games have always been more expensive, for some unfathomable reason*

I checked Amazon and the PC version is up for 50€ on pre-order. Big AAA game tend to be 60€ on Steam.. is that where you're getting that price from?

I'm a bit miffed at the UK Steam price so I'll be pre-ordering on Amazon.  The only thing I can say in defence of a price hike is that I've always thought Bethesda games are great value for money; I paid about £35 for Skyrim and put about 900 hours into it...and I'll play it again after I've put a few hundred hours into Fallout 4.

One poindexter quibble I have with Bethesda's Fallout is the prologue. I'm surprised they do it - it's constricting from a role-playing perspective. Obsidian did well to leave any backstory vague.

Since you will have voiced.protagonist and dialog wheel like ME it was already leaning towards being constricting.

One poindexter quibble I have with Bethesda's Fallout is the prologue. I'm surprised they do it - it's constricting from a role-playing perspective. Obsidian did well to leave any backstory vague.

Since you will have voiced.protagonist and dialog wheel like ME it was already leaning towards being constricting.

This was my impression.  It's exactly what I hoped Bethesda wouldn't do and it's probably my biggest concern for the game.