Torment: Tides of Numero Uno

Blarghagh

I dont mind the change so far, as i hated nearly every combat scene in the original.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

now it's my turn to roll my eyes. since most people here consider video games a product to be consumed. 

or maybe I just didn't understand what you meant to say. it looked like you were willing to let it slide, because this is just a video game, so a little bit of fraud is perfectly fine.

It isn't fraud. They are still delivering a video game. You are upset because they didn't deliver on all their promises of content. That's perfectly reasonable, although that is a risk when you crowdfund a game. They offered a refund, which is actually a bit above what you should expect when you take part in crowdfunding. But that isn't enough for you?  :rolleyes:

I've got multiple unfulfilled games I pledged for on Kickstarter, some of them are going on 5 years now. Odds are I will never see them. That sucks, but that was a risk I took. InXile is releasing actual playable games, with real graphics and game mechanics. So excuse me if I think your plight is a bit trite.

• Like 3

You are upset because they didn't deliver on all their promises of content. That's perfectly reasonable

not really, they didn't deliver on all their promises *they took money for* - key difference.

btw, I'm not a backer, I am not upset because I didn't invest anything into it. I'm just amazed people aren't burning InXile's office right now in anger over this. it's mind blowing.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

So what happened? I backed and haven't paid attention.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I personally tend to currently give InXile the benefit of doubt, since the game isn't released yet. Sure, it is in early access, but iirc, the accessible area is narrow compared to what the complete game should be. Inside, I'm a bit sad because the Oasis was one of the things that made me more excited for TToN (but it wasn't the reason why I backed in the first place, since I backed my pledge in the few hours of the campaign and the Oasis was a late stretchgoal).

I still hope that "cutted" content will be added in the further patches or DLCs or even expansions (while I am not sure how expansions à la BG-IWD-PoE could work in a Torment game, but why not).

I have been saddened to see that there won't be DRM-free backer discs even for Collector's edition, Wasteland 2 likewise, and more recently like PoE2 too. But I understand that would be a such pain not to provide those discs, but to manage patches (but itoh, InXile has yet claimed that digital backer content would be available on their own website). I have already talked here about torrent patches (not complete game nor expansions obviously) as a maybe useful way to provide patches without paying that much of bandwith, but perhaps I have been wrong about problems it could have.

(I remained silent in forums because I agreed I have been too far in arguing against Paradox at that time, so I beg pardon, but /offtopic)

But as others have mentioned in the PoE2 forums, maybe a blank rewritable DVD could be the best compromise for every backer : if someone wants to go Steam, he-she can make a backup with the Steam backup program, and if someone wants to go Gog, he-she can copy the installers in it. Truly the best compromise for both communities, and with a real game disc with its official picture, it would surely please every collectors (sure one can bring a RW-DVD and add a sticker or even use a Lightscribe disc, but it won't be the same, especially for a collector).

And then, there is the discussion about Collector's Edition's content. Maybe it's in the hands of Techland, especially about content for console CE. Yes, indeed, in the Kickstarter campaign, pledge weren't preorders as such, and part of pledge amount is money to make the game happen, not to add more and more physical content. But, I agree that there is a big disparity between KS CE and retail CE.

It doesn't help that all of these things see the light not far from the release.

I also take cautiously the tweet InXile made about working on making all announced platforms release the same day (I was a bit worried when console ports were announced when Linux/Mac still weren't on early access).

Well, everything mentioned above could bring me mad, and I'm still worried about the whole project now and its delivery (game content and else), but I'm waiting with caution. In the end, I am pretty sure that I will play TToN way later after its release (as I do with PoE in fact).

Edited by Huinehtar

Then again Cadegund did get cut out of PoE to ostensibly be replaced by Durance, a character I get the impression quite a few people didn't take a liking to. And we had to wait a year before Zahua made it into the game.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

So what happened? I backed and haven't paid attention.

They cut some of the content promised in stretch goals, like Italian localisation and mysterious companion The Toy. And to make matters worse they forgot/were too busy to communicate such cuts for backers until quite last moment. 

Also console versions, publisher brought in etc though that was a few months back, and it's well overdue and has had persistent rumours of mismanagement- plus there have been some changes to combat as well and InXile's multiple kickstarters with only one released product has rubbed some people up the wrong way. It's not really like any single change or choice has been major by itself (unless you're Italian, I guess) but it adds up to a somewhat worrisome picture if you wanted a spiritual successor to PST. WL2 had a lot fewer pre release problems and still had a fair few post release ones, so there's reason to be worried there as well, especially since its post console release patch was a bit... polarising.

Edited by Zoraptor

I backed this game but I havent been following much news...if any

I am glad it hasnt  been fully released yet...when is the expected date ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

February 28th. I backed it too and I am pretty excited. 

• Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

February 28th. I backed it too and I am pretty excited. 

Yeah, the community is being bitchy as hell at the moment (and I can't blame the Italians), but I'm also looking forward to digging into the game on the 28th.

• Like 1

...this game isn't vaporware yet? it's a bloody christmas miracle

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I guess I just assume that after so many years of delays, that it may as well be vaporware until proven otherwise

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

InXile is asking for 18$ more in case you are stupid and want an extra code for the console version!(Seriously, at this point I could go for a physical copy of the console version in case the game is god tier and The Toy is added as a bonus dlc code along with the game disc...hah!) 

I just watched the story trailer and it actually made me want to play the game (yes I am a backer, but a rather indifferent one).

I really enjoyed the 4 hours I invested in the early access version and decided to wait for the full release. Out of the 3 games I have backed(Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera) Torment was the one that really managed to grab my interest. The combat system might end up being bad(though nowhere near as bad as the original) but the story, the writing and the characters are very faithful to the spirit of the original Torment and yet it somehow managed to feel fresh and original.

Yeah, the community is being bitchy as hell at the moment (and I can't blame the Italians), but I'm also looking forward to digging into the game on the 28th.

2017 is not going to be a good year for Italy.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I didn't followed this game on purpose, I want to have fresh experience

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I guess I just assume that after so many years of delays, that it may as well be vaporware until proven otherwise

Years of delays? It's been available as early access for over a year now, so people that worry about that stuff can see it in action. To be honest, anyone that thought the game would release in 2014 was not paying attention. I believe Kickstarter actually only lets you set a date so far in the future, so that is why the majority of these games do not hit their targets. This was what, a 4 year development cycle? That doesn't sound that much longer than your typical big RPG.

PoE started in 2012 and launched in 2015, so Torment basically took an extra year.

• Like 3

Years of delays? It's been available as early access for over a year now, so people that worry about that stuff can see it in action. To be honest, anyone that thought the game would release in 2014 was not paying attention. I believe Kickstarter actually only lets you set a date so far in the future, so that is why the majority of these games do not hit their targets. This was what, a 4 year development cycle? That doesn't sound that much longer than your typical big RPG.

PoE started in 2012 and launched in 2015, so Torment basically took an extra year.

When you take in consideration that its pre-production period was increased nearly by year because inXile making Wasteland 2 Director Cut / console port it isn't really taken that much of time from them to actually develop it.

When you take in consideration that its pre-production period was increased nearly by year because inXile making Wasteland 2 Director Cut / console port it isn't really taken that much of time from them to actually develop it.

Elerond believe me when I say " you cannot rush quality or try to equate a monetary value to it " when it comes to a good game and its development cycle  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I haven't closely followed development, so alright - just feels like a bloody age since their initial "projected" release. Thanks for the info. :)

• Like 1

Just noticed... after playing through the beta, I am actually really hooked now. Totally want to continue playing, but I seriously have to force myself not to touch that game again until the 28th. Damn. Shouldn't have started.. who would have expected that? Certainly not me.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just noticed... after playing through the beta, I am actually really hooked now. Totally want to continue playing, but I seriously have to force myself not to touch that game again until the 28th. Damn. Shouldn't have started.. who would have expected that? Certainly not me.

Heh. I managed to put several hours into the game when it was just an alpha with only the character generation available to play through. Most of the time I spent doing the different tide text adventures at the very beginning when they became available.

The update to Windows 10 stopped me from playing the beta any further, because back then Torment's performance under Windows 10 was abysmal, then decided to wait for the final version instead of risking to burn myself out on the beta. Because that's exactly what happened to be while playing Everspace. ^^

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.