Torment: Tides of Numero Uno

Blarghagh

I will say that it seemed to have the same pitfall PS:T had where it disproportionately favoured a certain build to get the most out of the game (a high wisdom character in PS: T). In the case of Numenera the experience of playing a Nano with mind-scan and high stats in the various Lore and Mechanics skills went a lot further narratively-speaking than the "Graceful Jack with a Silver Tongue" I made my first playthroughs with.

I was kind of afraid this would happen but we'll see how the final game pans out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm of two minds about this game. On one hand, I really hope its good but on the other, I'm still upset about the lack of communication from the devs after making so many design changes compared to the stretch goals of the original Kickstarter.

any examples except console port and turn based system?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

There were three stretch goal companions that were scrapped, the second city hub was reduced and many of the elements were merged into another location (this doesn't bother me, personally, but it is worth noting), crafting was abandoned, and worst of all, no Italian localization.

There was no communication of any of these changes and buyers (people who helped Kickstart it, really) didn't find out about them until someone data mined the beta.

Edited by the_dog_days

There were three stretch goal companions that were scrapped, the second city hub was reduced and many of the elements were merged into another location (this doesn't bother me, personally, but it is worth noting), crafting was abandoned, and worst of all, no Italian localization.

There was no communication of any of these changes and buyers (people who helped Kickstart it, really) didn't find out about these changes until someone data mined the beta.

I think they offered refund? I might be wrong tho..

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm of two minds about this game. On one hand, I really hope its good but on the other, I'm still upset about the lack of communication from the devs after making so many design changes compared to the stretch goals of the original Kickstarter.

I do admit it gets me a little concerned too. I'm hoping for the best, but we'll see soon enough how things turn out.

Any idea if one of the three characters scrapped was the one designed by Avellone?

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I do admit it gets me a little concerned too. I'm hoping for the best, but we'll see soon enough how things turn out.

Any idea if one of the three characters scrapped was the one designed by Avellone?

well, chrisA is not current spamming anti inxile vitriol via his social media accounts and recent interview opportunities, so am guessing the answer is, "no." 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Which party member do you reckon Avellone wrote? I'm guessing Tybir since it seems the others seemed to have been locked in before he was actually brought on board and the first time we knew about his presence was from the first beta.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Which party member do you reckon Avellone wrote? I'm guessing Tybir since it seems the others seemed to have been locked in before he was actually brought on board and the first time we knew about his presence was from the first beta.

He mentioned the party member he wrote was of a more lighter tone, perhaps comedic, so as to counterbalance the very weighty and brooding tone that otherwise dominated the other characters. Would that describe Tybir? (No idea who each character is, haven't played or seen much at all.)

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

"[L]ighter tone, perhaps comedic..." seems to describe two of the potential party members thus far, which includes the one named Tybir. The other one I get vibes of having something much more tragic and sinister behind the veil that we discover down the line.

Plus, Tybir bears more than a passing resemblance to Billy Dee Williams:

8xsGHCU.jpg

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

So, I am curious-- can I play the game with gamepad on the couch now or is that console stuff really only for the console version?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well that's what the refund is for.

I'd say the refund alone almost doesn't cut it. imagine paying for a game in Steam and then finding a completely different game in your library. sure, you can get a refund, but it doesn't change the fact that you didn't get the game you had paid for in the first place. 

I don't follow Torment's development, but if indeed they back pedaled on some of the promises made during the Kickstarter to get initial funding, that's already an alarming situation. 

I realize that game development is a long process, and things always can and do go wrong, but once a dev makes a promise, he better sell his house before cutting content that's been promised. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There was no communication of any of these changes and buyers (people who helped Kickstart it, really) didn't find out about them until someone data mined the beta.

Crafting being abandoned is a positive in my book.  :p

On the one hand, the lack of communication, combined with the delays this game has suffered is worrisome.  There is definite reason for concern.

On the other hand, content gets cut from games all the time.  Probably just about every game ever made has had content cut from it, large chunks in many cases.  The content being cut being stretch goals that were met does suck for backers (Disclaimer: I am a backer), but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if the concerns raised by the cut content, lack of communication, and delays were founded or if it was all just part of the creative process and for the better in the end (I'd rather have less companions and have them better fleshed out than more companions that are hastily written).

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'd say the refund alone almost doesn't cut it. imagine paying for a game in Steam and then finding a completely different game in your library. sure, you can get a refund, but it doesn't change the fact that you didn't get the game you had paid for in the first place. 

Come on. This is ridiculous. You are talking about a video game here.

• Like 2

now it's my turn to roll my eyes. since most people here consider video games a product to be consumed. 

or maybe I just didn't understand what you meant to say. it looked like you were willing to let it slide, because this is just a video game, so a little bit of fraud is perfectly fine.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well, I just played through the beta yesterday and the day before, because I couldn't wait anymore. Took me about 7 hours, faster than I thought (if it's really 1/3 of the game). It actually hooked me up quite well and I really want to know how it's going to continue. Based on that, I'd rate the game to be pretty good already. Much better than Wasteland 2 from the visuals and production value (W2 always felt... somewhat off, probably because the different graphic assets never really fit well together). Also I'd rate it higher than PoE so far, simply because it doesn't have real time with pause AND it doesn't have that truckton of generic filler trash-mob combat. In fact, I had about two battles in the whole beta- everything else I could solve with talking.

The only really negative thing I've noticed so far is that there often is *so much* boring, unnecessary filler text. At some point I've stopped reading the introduction descriptions in dialogue, and it felt like I was actually missing out on nothing at all. Really, at times I feel like this game has huge amounts of text just to be able to say it has huge amounts of text... Hint: Sometimes less is more.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm still not wholly convinced that the encounter design was a substantial improvement over what was in Planescape, as a good number of the "crises" took place in a big wide open arena against the same type of enemy. I may be looking forward to the next combat encounter vs. Planescape, though that may be because the transition to turn-based means you can't have nearly as many as you would in Planescape.

-Rod Serling