Torment: Tides of Numero Uno

Blarghagh

Well, I did have the test version unlocked on Steam.. and now it has apparently turned into the full game when I did the pre-install today. And it runs. So I've started playing it to see how it shapes up...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, I did have the test version unlocked on Steam.. and now it has apparently turned into the full game when I did the pre-install today. And it runs. So I've started playing it to see how it shapes up...

Can you actually play past where the beta version ends? 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It doesn't show "Beta" anywhere, just straight up "Torment" - my old saves from the Beta showed up as "no longer supported/previous version".  Eh, but I've only wandered in for about an hours game, so it's not like I've gotten that far into it to tell if it has more than the beta did...

Hm, and didn't the beta version on your Steam Library show up as "Torment - Beta Version" in the games list? I'm trying to remember now...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nope, it was always with a normal name except for the alpha. Steam Store still shows early access, and my savegame still works as well. Therefore-- it's not yet here. :p

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I heard physical copies got delayed, is the digital version gonna be delayed as well?

They were tweeting hour ago that it is 12 hours to game's release.

So I don't think that there is any delay in digital versions as they are distributed by Steam and GOG

Edited by Elerond

I heard physical copies got delayed, is the digital version gonna be delayed as well?

They were tweeting hour ago that it is 12 hours to game's release.

So I don't think that there is any delay in digital versions as they are distributed by Steam and GOG

Yay!! He tweeted 4 hours ago that it goes live in 12 hours. That means it should be live when I get home from work tonight!!! *does a dance*

• Like 1

Hmmm... nothing that I didn't already know.

Mostly, I'm worried that there will be too little combat. I mean, I know the trend is "no trashmobs!" but doesn't it get to a point where you have too little combat?

Hmmm... nothing that I didn't already know.

Mostly, I'm worried that there will be too little combat. I mean, I know the trend is "no trashmobs!" but doesn't it get to a point where you have too little combat?

Depends on the quality of the other aspects of the game, really. With Planescape: Torment I can't say I really missed the combat, and that's all because it was so bloody engrossing in all other areas; but if the writing starts lacking in this new game, I can see how it may eventually become a chore.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I can confirm from the beta that in the Sagus Cliffs portion of the game the number of combat encounters an average player might run into on a first playthrough could be counted using one hand. Make of it what you will.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I can confirm from the beta that in the Sagus Cliffs portion of the game the number of combat encounters an average player might run into on a first playthrough could be counted using one hand. Make of it what you will.

I figured as much. I guess I'll go into it with the attitude of reading a novel.

Before I mess up something. I am currently only on my phone and would like to redeem my KS copy. What happens, when you click on Redeem Key in backer portal, does it give you the option to choose between gog and steam? I would really not want to end up with Steam Copy :-P

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well rather have not clicked it before asking. The whole page looks strange on my phone Chrome Browser compared to my PC :-/

Anyway, have they send any emails? I lost access to my old email account, with which I pledged, I was able to change my login on Backers Account, but I have not received any emails from inXile about Torment yet :-/

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well rather have not clicked it before asking. The whole page looks strange on my phone Chrome Browser compared to my PC :-/

Anyway, have they send any emails? I lost access to my old email account, with which I pledged, I was able to change my login on Backers Account, but I have not received any emails from inXile about Torment yet :-/

Email below

Hello Exiles,

When we first came to you asking for your help in making a new Torment game, we were genuinely overwhelmed and moved by the sheer outpouring of support. Torment is a game that would never have happened without you, and you blew us away beyond our wildest expectations.

Now the wait is over, and Torment: Tides of Numenera is ready for you to play, enjoy and experience. This is a true RPG with over 1.2 million words of text, multiple huge locations to explore, with the most involved quests and characters we have ever made – we tend to be overly ambitious on these things, and it is a much deeper game than we initially set out to create.

The entire team at inXile has worked countless hours to bring you the new Torment, we are immensely proud of what we made. Of course, we made the game first and foremost for you, our backers, and we truly hope you enjoy it.

Thank you,
Brian Fargo
Your Leader in Exile

P.S. We were hoping we could get the final version of the game live a little early for you all... and we did!

A Video Message from Colin
We also have a video message to share from our Creative Lead, Colin McComb:
Of course, you probably have other questions on your mind...

How do I start playing?
Eric Daily here. We know that many of you will have questions about Torment on release day, but first and foremost: "How do I play this game already?!"

Fortunately, it's easy! If you already used your Steam beta key, your game will automatically update to the release version.
If you never claimed your key, then login to our newly-updated Torment backer web site, then visit the Rewards page and check your "Keys" tab.

If you are one of our few backers who never created a backer account, then be sure to sign up using your email address you used to back the game. Once your account has been verified (check your inbox for a verification email!), you should see your rewards appear on your account afterwards.

We also know some of you wanted to use a Steam key to play the beta, then switch to GOG for final release. We'll have a way to do this coming very soon, and will let you know when it's available!

Likewise, we are in the process of getting all our reward downloads up - such as our digital novellas, concept art book, and more - but those will be online very soon, and possibly by the time you are reading this!

Release FAQ
Of course, we know that there are some other questions on your mind, so here are the quick and dirty answers!

Will my beta save files work in the final version?
Any saves made after the Tidal Surge beta update in December should work with the final release! However, any save files from earlier versions (before the Tidal Surge update) are not likely to work, or will experience significant bugs. If you want the most stable possible experience, we still advise you to start a new game.

I already used my beta key on Steam. Do I need to use a new key?
If you already have the beta/early access version of Torment installed, you do not need to use a new key – the game in your Steam library should update to the final version automatically (provided you have auto-updates turned on in Steam).

As a free bonus, since beta Steam keys auto-update to the final game, this means any backers who got the beta separately will get a bonus game key. You are welcome to give this one to a friend or family member if you wish. Consider it a special thanks for backing at a higher pledge level!

When are Mac and Linux available?
Right now! You do not need to use a separate key for them – each game key will give you the game all our supported PC operating systems. On Steam, you will be able to download the game directly from your library; on GOG, you should see downloads available for Mac and Linux install files.

I used my Steam key for the beta, but want to switch to GOG. Can I do that?
We will have a way to do this on our backer web site very soon. We will keep you all up to date on when it is available.

I never made a backer account. What now?
If you are one of our few backers who has never created an account with us, you will first want to register on the Torment backer web site.

I need your direct help with something!
Please get in touch with us at our support page. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of messages right now, so we appreciate your patience as we try to help everyone we can as quickly as possible!

About Physical Rewards
Those of you who are getting physical rewards are no doubt looking forward to getting your game boxes. Techland has assured us they are planning to ship out the physical rewards very soon! We’ll be awaiting confirmation from Techland when they are shipping, and send all of you notice as soon as we hear from them. We should also mention that signed Collector's Edition boxes may ship slightly later than the standard backer boxes and unsigned CEs – this is simply due to the extra time needed for us to sign them. We will stay in touch with all of you who are getting physical rewards, and contact you directly with more information when available. And of course, you don’t have to wait for your boxes to play the game, you can claim your Steam or GOG.com right now on the Torment backer web site.

But in the meantime, we thought we'd give you a sneak peek on their progress. Here's the Collector's Edition box...

It is a hefty matte cardboard box with a magnetic clasp hinge. What's it like inside? You may soon find out! One other small detail is that we designed it to be the same size as Pillars of Eternity’s Collectors Edition. Given the thematic links between the titles, we thought it’d only be right they could fit next to each other properly on your shelves!

One other item we couldn't wait to show you is the cloth map, which is in all Collector’s Edition versions. Some of you may have seen this in digital form previously, but seeing it printed out definitely gives it a more old-school feel.

We also have larger versions that are included in some of our higher reward levels, which... well. They're pretty big.

As mentioned above, we'll be in touch with all backers receiving physical goods in the very near future with more info as Techland moves forward with shipping and distribution.

Some Free Bonus Rewards!
As an extra special thanks to you all, we also have some extra goodies for you. Every single one of our backers who got a copy of the game also receives a free pack of Torment forum avatars, some bonus wallpapers, as well as a free set of Torment-themed ringtones and notifications based on the sounds and themes from the game. You will find these among your downloads on the backer web site (click the "Downloads" tab).

What’s Next?
Torment is out and ready for you to enjoy, but we’re not done with the game yet. We will be monitoring your feedback on the forums and social media for any post-release updates!

Enjoy the game!
Eric Daily
Producer

Edit- Forum doesn't like the image links and I'm too lazy to upload it someplace else. It's just a picture of the box and a map.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21