Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You get penalized if you want to build a custom party?

adventurer companion follower hire

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Not playing the beta (I don't use Steam), but I watched:

PC: "I'd like to hire an adventurer."

Dengler: "Got a few 'round here looking for work. Tell me what you're looking for and I'll hunt 'em down."

Level 1 Adventurer 1000cp
Level 2 Adventurer 2000cp
Level 3 Adventurer 3000cp
Level 4 Adventurer 4000cp

Is that still the case in the current beta?

If so... It costs a minimum 5000cp to create a full party?  Unless it rains coins in Dyrwood, that seems damn expensive.  You could rest 25 times in the most expensive room in the inn for that amount.

030cp The Old Stables
120cp Wurm's Nest
150cp Drake's Den
200cp Dragon's Lair

How about an option to say:

"I'm looking for an old friend."

to which the innkeeper could respond:

"Tell me 'bout this friend of yours and I'll tell ya if they've been around..."

Is that too much to ask?

Pacing is not an excuse: The number of companions could be limited by level if pacing absolutely required some kind of limitation (which I doubt).

Nor is ignorance of player desire to roleplay a group of adventurers rather than hire mercenaries an excuse:

Nor is "realism" an excuse:

Maybe a rogue wants to join me because I offer them a suit of Shiny Chainmail of Awesomeness.  Or because I'm a famed adventurer.  Or maybe I'm just charming as hell.  Who knows?  Why enforce some arbitrary fee?

What good reason is there to screw players that want to build a custom party?

• Pray likes this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not sure how the adventurer's hall works, but I'll also play with some custom characters. Personally, I think using it as a money sink is OK as long as there's enough money in the first place!

• aluminiumtrioxid, forgottenlor and Marky like this

Azrael Ultima

Azrael Ultima

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Without any info on how scarce or plentiful money is, this is kind of pointless to discuss.

5k might be a major loss, or spare change.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

Getting free adventurer mercs to throw to their deaths is a very easy way to become degenerate gameplay.

• Karkarov, Bryy, Doppelschwert and 2 others like this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

^ I excite.

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Bear in mind that it's a beta. It exists to be examined, criticized, and refined - not to immediately fulfill all of our wildest dreams.

You get a default Rogue/Wizard/Cleric/Fighter party because the Obsidian devs want to be sure that people are testing classes against what should be a fairly generic, balanced background party (and because they want to be sure that the default 4 are indeed a balanced party). The Adventurer's Hall isn't so much there to give you a bajillion options as it is to make sure that it works. And if it really bugs a player, that's what the console is for.

Getting free adventurer mercs to throw to their deaths is a very easy way to become degenerate gameplay.

Letting you trigger a script exactly 4 times, however, is not.

TheNationer

TheNationer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts
I'm more concerned with what impact it has on the story, because you'd think that premade characters will have more depth to them, right? Or am I on the wrong wavelength?

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm more concerned with what impact it has on the story, because you'd think that premade characters will have more depth to them, right? Or am I on the wrong wavelength?

No party chat in the beta.

Utukka

Utukka

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 115 posts

http://forums.obsidi...a-little-extra/

Read through. Has a bit more detail for ya on the matter.

• ddillon and TheNationer like this

ddillon

ddillon

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
@Utukka:

Thanks! I somehow didn't see that thread in the search results, or I used a phrase that didn't return it, or something. Appreciate the pointer.

Flimsy excuse. See my reply to Sawyer in the thread Utukka linked.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yup, design decisions are made entirely troll players.

*eye roll*

• Karkarov likes this

ddillon

ddillon

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

@Bryy:

At this point, I could almost believe that... :p

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

@Utukka:

Thanks! I somehow didn't see that thread in the search results, or I used a phrase that didn't return it, or something. Appreciate the pointer.

Flimsy excuse. See my reply to Sawyer in the thread Utukka linked.

I saw it, now here's my response:

1) Josh Sawyer has not at all been above limiting player freedom in order to achieve game balance. Expect lots of things to be limiting for balance sake.

2) Free companions would totally break the game. I could just hire 5 five guys and throw them at any tough encounter with little thought put into it. Since their survival wouldn't be concern; suicide attacks would be incredibly OP. Making most of the combat mechanics & quests pointless.

3) Creating your own team is going to be more effective than using the allies Obsidian gives you. So it's worth the gold.

4) For those who care; free companions is lore breaking.

• Matt516 and Immortalis like this

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If so... It costs a minimum 5000cp to create a full party?  Unless it rains coins in Dyrwood, that seems damn expensive.  You could rest 25 times in the most expensive room in the inn for that amount.

5000 cp doesn't seem to be a lot of money going by the beta actually. I get more than that after selling all the unused equipment from Medreth's group.

• Doppelschwert likes this

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

2) Free companions would totally break the game. I could just hire 5 five guys and throw them at any tough encounter with little thought put into it. Since their survival wouldn't be concern; suicide attacks would be incredibly OP. Making most of the combat mechanics & quests pointless.

Unless they were free and limited in number. Or is that unfeasible?

Kjaamor

Kjaamor

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 682 posts

The money is a pittance, I'll be using in-game NPCs rather than blank templates anyway, you could do it in IWD and suicide attacks will still involve going back and forth from the inn which if you're abusing the game in that way is your own problem.

I have to say I find this to be a total non-issue whichever way it goes.

• Karkarov and lolaldanee like this

Lychnidos

Lychnidos

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

Really hard to do that. You need a number that's low enough to prevent kamikaze style playing, but not that low so people playing regularly end up with no recruits to replenish their potential loses(especially on high difficulties).

Pray

Pray

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • Steam:Pray
  • Xbox Gamertag:Moxiy
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I actually really like your idea about finding the "old friend."

It makes more lore sense, too, and would be awesome for people who want to get an early adventurer to customize. 

Utukka

Utukka

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 115 posts

Really hard to do that. You need a number that's low enough to prevent kamikaze style playing, but not that low so people playing regularly end up with no recruits to replenish their potential loses(especially on high difficulties).

I never understood why people care. I wouldn't play this way but I just don't see the rage that comes from players when they think that someone miles away who they will never see or talk to does such a thing. Limitations can be a good thing, such as in sports where it's competitive against each other, but this is a *little* different.

I'd also think that most players willing to play in such a lame fashion are probably going to abuse or mod everything that they can to "destroy" the "experience". Do you really need to extend so much effort to control such players?

Edited by Utukka, 22 September 2014 - 05:41 AM.

• ddillon and Hellraiser789 like this

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1273 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I never understood why people care. I wouldn't play this way but I just don't see the rage that comes from players when they think that someone miles away who they will never see or talk to does such a thing. Limitations can be a good thing, such as in sports where it's competitive against each other, but this is a *little* different.

I'd also think that most players willing to play in such a lame fashion are probably going to abuse or mod everything that they can to "destroy" the "experience". Do you really need to extend so much effort to control such players?

I think it's because people assume that as long as the game allows you to do something then it follows that the game expects you to do so and thus from a design standpoint if you leave all these options wide open - it is assumed that you intentionally designed the game to played this way - thus as a designer you close as many loopholes in your design as possible to allow the final game to be played primarily in the manner you chose to design it to play.

• MReed, Karkarov, Doppelschwert and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adventurer, companion, follower, hire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users