Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

Eh, Star Wars dark isn't all that bad. Didn't even show Anakin cutting down the kids, after all :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I feel like I'm really missing out on something with my inability to care about this new Star Wars movie.

Everybody is so excited and I'm over here like "Okay."

Ditto. The trailers have my interest but have not yet created excitement because honestly I've got no idea what I'm looking at. I hate trailers that spoil the entire movie, but I think this one may have swung the pendulum too far to the other side.

Again, to be fair, children require far more directing than adults and I feel like that was lacking. Star Wars ruined his life because George Lucas is bad. :p

Eh, from all accounts and backstage stories, he was ruined by his parents and was a really, really annoying little **** to everyone because "I've been picked to play the hero!"

Haha, fair enough. Still, he's a kid picked to play the hero in the Star Wars movie. Is there a kid alive that wouldn't let that go to his head?

So, I dont know Jack about SW cannon. This movie obviously takes place after Vader's death and "the force" must have "gone quiet" since people are acting like they dont even know what it it? Also, whos the new big bad supposed to be? Vader's illegitimate space baby or something?

My guess is that it is Luke, who in this time continuum didn't from new jedi council (like in quashed extended universe), but instead just fall to dark side because he regrets his actions that lead death of his father.

I'm kind of assuming both Darth Revan in the trailer there and the main girl are somehow related to or spawned by either Luke or Leia. They could be siblings. That's pure speculation from the vague "vibe" I get from the trailer, though.

So, I dont know Jack about SW cannon. This movie obviously takes place after Vader's death and "the force" must have "gone quiet" since people are acting like they dont even know what it it? Also, whos the new big bad supposed to be? Vader's illegitimate space baby or something?

My guess is that it is Luke, who in this time continuum didn't from new jedi council (like in quashed extended universe), but instead just fall to dark side because he regrets his actions that lead death of his father.

I'm kind of assuming both Darth Revan in the trailer there and the main girl are somehow related to or spawned by either Luke or Leia. They could be siblings. That's pure speculation from the vague "vibe" I get from the trailer, though.

It is of course possible that they go Solo twins route where one is light (-ish) and other is dark (they did that in the EU books).

I was pretty underwhelmed by the trailer.  I guess my inner Star Wars fanboy died a long time ago, killed by the poison pumping through my black heart, also Jar Jar Binks, also also Emo Anakin Skywalker.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The identity of the new Sith lord has been revealed.

It's you! 2/3 of the way through the movie after a few hints the mask
comes
off and it's you. Actually in all seriousness A comment in the EW.com
article said Luke Skywalker WAS in the poster. If true it seems like a pretty
cheap plot twist

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Eh, Star Wars dark isn't all that bad. Didn't even show Anakin cutting down the kids, after all :p

Oddly enough, I watched episode III a few weeks ago.  My son had tuned out by then, he was just running around having lightsaber duels with our dog.  But my daughter, who is 8, was following it closely.  Still, she didn't really get that Anakin was going to kill the kids.  She assumed he was there to protect them.  I wasn't going to spoil that one for her.   :biggrin:

She had watched him be the good guy through Episode II and most of III, so it was not an easy transition for her, even knowing he becomes Darth Vader.

I only had nightmares when I saw Office Space. Haunting, prophetic nightmares....

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wild theory time:

* The villain of this film is Luke's first student and nephew, and the reason why Luke dissappeared into exile.

* The dark haired girl who seems to be the main character, is the (twin?) sister of Adam Driver's character (red lightsaber guy), and they are the children of Han Solo and Leia. Note how their weapons line up perfectly in the poster.

* Luke will return from exile at some point, after his nephew goes out of control.

Luke will never turn to the dark side, that would be too cheap after the ending of episode 6.

Edited by Thingolfin

Well, sketch it out  here..

Palpatine spent 20-30 years destroying all information about the Jedi and the Force. He demonised the Jedi, he turned them into a historical throwaway about "hokey religion" rather than millennia old keepers of the peace.

The majority of the galaxy didn't know that Palpatine was a force-user. Only a small amount of high-ranking Imperials knew it, and Vader was basically the iron-fisted trouble-shooter and the common populace didn't deal with him in any real matter.

Sure, the Rebel Alliance might have thrown a bit of the old "Jedi Restored"  PR around when Luke turned up and blew up the Death Star - but wait, the Rebels didn't know he was a Force-User then. They just knew he'd been friends with Obi-Wan and had a lightsaber. He didn't really pick up any serious force skill until the end of Empire Strikes Back that the rest of the Rebels would have seen.

Even his turning Vader back to the light and the subsequent "death" of the Emperor was out of sight of everybody, and even if he told people about it... It was overshadowed by the 2nd Death Star exploding. As far as most people knew, Palpatine died because of that explosion.

So unless there is a really serious push to raise awareness of the Force, and just how Palpatine manipulated information about the Jedi... Who is really going to be paying attention to that stuff when the Imperial Remnants are still fighting the Rebel Alliance / New Republic? It's going to stay pretty much the hokey religion to most people unless they have a direct encounter with it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm also amazed Vader's helmet and mask was recovered in so good shape.

Forgot that he took it with him down to the Sanctuary moon (why is it called that anyway), whoops.

Wild theory time:

* The villain of this film is Luke's first student and nephew, and the reason why Luke dissappeared into exile.

* The dark haired girl who seems to be the main character, is the (twin?) sister of Adam Driver's character (red lightsaber guy), and they are the children of Han Solo and Leia. Note how their weapons line up perfectly in the poster.

* Luke will return from exile at some point, after his nephew goes out of control.

Luke will never turn to the dark side, that would be too cheap after the ending of episode 6.

This has been a popular theory for a long time. Rumor's also been going around that Rey's first name is Kira. Kira Rey, Kylo Ren. Twins. But the name rumor hasn't had much push in a while.

I still like the idea myself. Someone has to be a Skywalker, the first trailer basically confirmed that. Having it be both a good guy and a bad guy keeps the focus on the family.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

comes

cheap plot twist

stop the last trailer at 1:41 and then look at the poster

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

comes

cheap plot twist

Luke scooped out C3P0 and is hiding inside?

Washington Post - Better reasons to boycott Star Wars

Let me start by saying that I realize that the discussion about the “Boycott Star Wars VII” hashtag  is the equivalent of swatting a fly with a Star Destroyer. We are feeding the trolls.

A minuscule handful of idiots on Twitter decided to try to get “#BoycottStarWarsVII” trending, on the grounds that the movie somehow promotes “White Genocide” and objecting to the fact that the lead, John Boyega, is black.

This is so patently inane that it would probably have died on its own, had it not been for everyone swooping in to express their indignation that such a hashtag would exist at all. The whole of Twitter is getting in on it. If there is one thing Twitter loves, it is a chance to show that We love Star Wars and hate racism. So it’s the number-one trending hashtag on Twitter, at time of writing.

I refuse to take seriously the idea that anyone who had seen Episode I and remembered Jar Jar Binks would reasonably conclude that being MORE racist was the way for Star Wars to be great again. But I guess it takes all kinds.

And as long as we’re looking for objectionable things in Star Wars, here are a whole slew of things to be upset about in it, from all political angles:

• Death Stars are the ultimate wasteful government spending project. At best, the constant construction of Death Stars is Keynesian economics at its very worst, trying to keep people employed by pouring money into giant holes in space. Does the Imperial military even want these? Given their obvious defects, it seems unlikely. Probably what it wants are helmets you can see out of or armor that works, and the Empire has not given it that yet.
  • Droids can be sent to the Spice Mines of Kessel or smashed into Who Knows What, showing callous regard for what is clearly sentient AIs.
  • Why are you allowed to own droids, come to think of it? Seems problematic.
  • Princess Leia disrespectfully calls Chewbacca “this walking carpet” when he is IN THE ROOM; they still manage to develop a warm working relationship afterwards.
  • “Princess” Leia. Monarchism.
  • Constant Hasbro product placement.
  • Blue milk: just one more concession to liberals. Must everything good be blue?
  • Blue lightsabers = good. Red lightsabers = bad. Sounds like a political critique to me!
  • Destruction of a planet by warming it rapidly (with a big laser) is shown as a bad thing.
  • “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.” Just chuck the First Amendment and carve the Second in stone, why don’t you!
  • “The Force is strong in my family.” Nepotism.
  • “Luke, I am your father.” Biologically, yes, but Luke gets to determine whom he sees as a father without having anyone invalidate his experience.
  • *whispers* Incest? (let’s agree to forget that part okay? great! good.)
  • “Take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive.” Dismissive attitude towards learning.
  • “Ichota.” Hate speech.
  • Mind control presented in an unduly positive light.
  • “He’s more machine now than man, twisted and evil.” Kind of a jerk thing to say about someone whose machine prostheses are the result of you cutting off his limbs and leaving him in a volcano earlier, leaving aside the other ways this is problematic.
  • Rebel pilots constantly saying “Good shot;” should save praise for moments of real achievement instead of spreading it around in this meaningless feel-good gesture.
  • “When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not.” Ageism, species-ism.
  • Everything about the beginning of “Return of the Jedi” is a problem for People for the Ethical Treatment of Rancors.
  • “Aren’t you a little short for a Stormtrooper?” Height discrimination. (“Size matters not” is too little, too late.)
  • Erroneously depicts carbon freezing as a safe process. It ISN’T!
  • “You’re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” Encourages moral relativism.
  • Use of Force encouraged.
  • Hoth dismissively referred to as an “ice cube”; frigid planets are also valid and beautiful.
  • “Short help’s better than no help at all.” Height discrimination.
  • “Wars not make one great.” Pacifism.
  • Guy courts a woman by (a) telling her he opposes democracy and wants a dictator in charge, (b) whining constantly about his mentor, © calling her “m’lady,” (d) telling her that “I hate sand,” and (e) admitting to a small-scale genocide of “sand people.” She responds, “I truly, deeply love you.” This is presented as a realistic courtship of two people you should be rooting for. 
  • Jar Jar
  • Watto
  • Nute Gunray
  • The Prequels, In Their Entirety

Some men just want to watch the world burn. Others just want to boycott things. Try hard enough, and there’s always something to object to.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

comes

cheap plot twist

Luke scooped out C3P0 and is hiding inside?

im talking about the hand that holds the red lightsaberin the poster and the one on R2's "head" in the trailer. they look suspiciously similar

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

im talking about the hand that holds the red lightsaberin the poster and the one on R2's "head" in the trailer. they look suspiciously similar

Nah. Luke has a cybernetic hand and you're comparing it against a dark glove.

This trailer even shows the guy without the helmet on. His hair is fabulous.