Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

Sharp_One - From the forum guidelines you agreed to by signing up for a forum account:

Objectionable Content: The use of abusive, vulgar or profane language, even if hidden through the use of symbols or other characters is not tolerated. Intentionally posting workarounds to our language filters are prohibited. Posts may be edited or deleted at any time by the moderation team, and depending on the severity and frequency of said posts, the poster may be censured or banned.

It's always been this way, profanity gets censored automatically and posts with uncensored profanity in it get removed. While Obsidian's games are rated for age appropriateness, the boards are not and we are obligated to keep it at least somewhat friendly for younger people since this is a company forum and not just some internet fansite. It also keeps it cleaner and more friendly for other people who may not be predisposed to profanity. If you have a problem with it, take it up with Fionavar but I doubt you'll get it removed because of the aforementioned reasons. You can post links as long as you put an NSFW disclaimer next to it. You should not reply to this post in this thread because that would be derailing, and from this point on we'll go back to discussing Star Wars Episode VII.

darth_spikey_by_jollyjack-d887scr.jpg

• Like 3

04Jnr3L.jpg

Helmet looks worse, nice filter though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

B) Anti-villains. Don't make us sympathize with the villain. Villains should be fearsome; not sympathetic. The attempt to make Darth Vader less of an evil figure through the prequels is one of the biggest flaws of the prequel trilogy. Not only did it lead to a very stupid motivation for Anakin turning to the dark side, but it cheapens his redemption. Not to mention that a story of good vs. evil is more emotionally compelling. 

Totally agree. Lucas absolutely ruined on the greatest villains of all time.

BS. To both.

Vader was never a great villain. He was memorable because of hype and unique apperance.

Giving the villain depth is a GOOD thing...unless you f*** it up.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

BS. To both.

Vader was never a great villain. He was memorable because of hype and unique apperance.

I call BS on your BS. Vader was a great villain. 

Which is what Lucas did; by making him sympathetic. Vader should not be sympathetic. Neither should the new villains. Anti-villains are not good for the tone of a Starwars movie. 

screenshot_1_30_13_1_42_pm.jpg

Awesome and intimidating villain that became an icon.

rG0nnxD.png

Pansy almost nobody liked.

Keep anti-villains away from Starwars

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I like the new lightsaber. Don't care about the logic, there is none in Star Wars to begin with. A sword with crossguards is a very archetypal image, which is why they chose it.

The one thing that's not in focus is the fact that lightsaber use in the original films was quite rudimentary - on the level of a swordfight simulation in a theater, or a typical imaginary duel in hollywood films. It was more about the characters interacting and less about the actual swordfighting. No one knows what real sword fighting was like anyway.

This one is probalby going to follow the prequel films in the endless flashy fighting acrobatics.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

A good villain is a character with a clear motivation who acts in support of a goal. Not unlike a good hero.

Vader fit that criteria. He wanted to protect the Empire in Star Wars, he wanted to capture Luke in Empire, and he wanted to turn Luke in Jedi. The actions in support of those goals are clear and unambiguous.

Anakin, by contrast, has actions that nobody is buying as supporting his goal. He wants to get powerful in Dark Side by killing children so he can save his wife. That's too convoluted to care.

Depth is a secondary concern, but a welcome one. Too many try for depth and in the process lose sight of having their actions being in support of their goals. As if they spend all their time adding sympathy to the motive they're no longer sure how to justify the villainous actions.

• Like 6
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I like the new lightsaber. Don't care about the logic, there is none in Star Wars to begin with. A sword with crossguards is a very archetypal image, which is why they chose it.

The one thing that's not in focus is the fact that lightsaber use in the original films was quite rudimentary - on the level of a swordfight simulation in a theater, or a typical imaginary duel in hollywood films. It was more about the characters interacting and less about the actual swordfighting. No one knows what real sword fighting was like anyway.

This one is probalby going to follow the prequel films in the endless flashy fighting acrobatics.

The only good thing to come out of the prequels was the fighting.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Maybe it's just leaking.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've noticed that people hate the SW7 teaser if they love the JW teaser, and vice versa. There's no middle ground.

I know people who like both...

For me JW is meh... been there done that, but it doesn't look bad. It might be amusing though likely forgettable (as most remake, redo, rehashes are), and it probably won't sh*t on the original.

SW7 trailer just looks bad, and the movie is like to sh*t on the originals.

WTB original stories coming out of Hollywood. TV seems to be able to do it, but the movie studios not so much these days.

I wish there were more actors that had real fencing backgrounds, like you had in some of the age old movies such as the Mark of Zorro from the 40's. That fencing is so much more neat to look at than the **** they give us in the prequels.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

With the hatred of the new lightsaber from the fans maybe JJ will have second thoughts on it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I've noticed that people hate the SW7 teaser if they love the JW teaser, and vice versa. There's no middle ground.

What is JW?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

What is JW?

Jurassic World.

I don't see what the uproar is about with the crossguard. It's fantasy and the Sith are more than competent enough to not cut off their own digits.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

With the hatred of the new lightsaber from the fans maybe JJ will have second thoughts on it.

Doubt it. J.J. is a purveyor of cheese and he's never shown he can do anything else but cheese.

It's not just the queer lightsaber, though that really sums it all up. If it was just the queer lightsaber in an otherwise good trailer, it might be ignorable. There's a reason that the picture of that lightsaber is being shown and ridiculed all over. If you're someone who can't see why, I dunno what to tell ya.

But in addition to said lightsaber, we've got the whole contrived jerky stance thing. The uber stupid voice narrating. The soccer ball cutesy droid. The jerky camera stupid flashy light effect gimmicks on the stormtroopers.

It's called really bad direction.

Actually... 'uber stupid' is an understatement for that voice over. That voice over might be the worst thing I've seen/heard in a trailer in memory.

The SW7 trailer makes this trailer look good!:

Edited by Valsuelm

Judging from the leaked art, I still feel it will be a movie well worth seeing. There are even normal lightsabers in it!

Possible Spoilers

http://abload.de/img/daisy-ridley-boyega-77ikz.jpeg

http://abload.de/img/daisy-ridley-dark-knq3c3u.jpeg

http://abload.de/img/pod-bikex3fro.jpeg

http://abload.de/img/at-at-base-and-speed61c00.jpeg

http://abload.de/img/dark-knight-daisy-riqfe47.jpeg

http://abload.de/img/grave-robber-ii90dvb.jpeg

http://abload.de/img/darth-vader-burnt-he14f39.jpeg

Edited by Bokishi

I would say that a lightsaber NOT having a crossguard is very, very stupid. there's a reason swords have them - to stop someone from sliding his blade down yours and cutting off your fingers/hand.

Any proper swords needs a crossguard. Now, it is stupid to be open from the underside. What the lightsaber in question needs is another crossguard just below the red lightsaber one to prevent contact with the hand. That, or a crossguard made from some magicla material that resist lightsabers.

Allow me to illustrate:

greatsabres1lu.th.jpg

k2000025an.th.jpg

BS. To both.

I call BS on your BS. Vader was a great villain. 

Which is what Lucas did; by making him sympathetic. Vader should not be sympathetic. Neither should the new villains. Anti-villains are not good for the tone of a Starwars movie.

1) Yes he was. If you are a five year old who cannot process nuance and everything has to be jesus-chirst-purity white or black-hole black.

2) That is not an objective fact, merely opinion.

• Like 1

I would say that a lightsaber NOT having a crossguard is very, very stupid. there's a reason swords have them - to stop someone from sliding his blade down yours and cutting off your fingers/hand.

Any proper swords needs a crossguard. Now, it is stupid to be open from the underside. What the lightsaber in question needs is another crossguard just below the red lightsaber one to prevent contact with the hand. That, or a crossguard made from some magicla material that resist lightsabers.

Allow me to illustrate:

I would say that a lightsaber not having a crossguard is very practical, yours is a false equivalence argument because swords are not lightsabers. Firstly; lightsabers have no weight and cut on momentum alone. Secondly; lightsabers are not just for humans, we all need to accept that the galaxy is a diverse place and that everyone needs to be equally represented even if it leads to fewer fingers.

There are such materials that resist lightsabers but they are rare, I would say that an armored glove with a force field that acts as a guard without restricting movement would be better. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif