Robin Williams

Leferd

let's not make this thread about bester; that would be a disservice to the memory of mr. williams.

to the moderators,

feel free to delete this post. 

thank you

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Good Morning Vietnam was my first "grown up" movie as a kid. I didn't understand the themes or even all the jokes back then, but my 8 year old self immediately recognized that he was amazing. That's when I started watching Mork and Mindy reruns on Nick At Night.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm pretty sure mocking a dead person counts as a valid reason to report a post.

You make me sick.

Hah, you can't be serious.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm pretty sure mocking a dead person counts as a valid reason to report a post.

You make me sick.

Hah, you can't be serious.

I think he is being serious and I understand why. Its about the fact there are certain inappropriate comments made about the death of someone who was loved and cherished by millions. And someone who basically spent his whole life trying to make people laugh, and he succeeded brilliantly at that. We live in a world where we are beset by violence and bad news stories so there are certain events we expect people to respect. We don't always need people to play the old Internet  troll game or want people to be clever and "insightful "

If you can't show some empathy and compassion then rather don't say anything at all.

Robin Williams, RIP

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Man. From all the movies he made, didn't he learned that suicide gets you into hell? Yes, I am looking at you, What Dreams May Come.

I love that damn movie.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Reformed alcoholics are often a bit dark.

he may not have been consistently funny or talented, but when he was at his best he was funnier than I'll ever be.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Also most of you guys are probably aware of this but clinical depression is not uncommon amongst comedians, its one of the reasons that they become comedians. There desire to make people laugh is an expression of the fact they themselves battle to find laughter or purpose in everyday life

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is truly sad! Our world has lost one of the best comedians and actors ever. :(

I've watched pretty much everything he's done movie- and series-wise since Mork & Mindy, and for the most part, his performances have been mesmerizing, relievingly blunt and unpredictable. Dead Poets Society is one of my favourites, but some of his comedy stuff is just stellar. Some of it has given me stomach cramps from sheer ROFLMAO.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Also most of you guys are probably aware of this but clinical depression is not uncommon amongst comedians, its one of the reasons that they become comedians. There desire to make people laugh is an expression of the fact they themselves battle to find laughter or purpose in everyday life

To them its self-therapy like forced smiling, it works to an extend.

Man. From all the movies he made, didn't he learned that suicide gets you into hell?

I thought suicide gets you out of here.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I think he is being serious and I understand why. Its about the fact there are certain inappropriate comments made about the death of someone who was loved and cherished by millions. And someone who basically spent his whole life trying to make people laugh, and he succeeded brilliantly at that. We live in a world where we are beset by violence and bad news stories so there are certain events we expect people to respect. We don't always need people to play the old Internet  troll game or want people to be clever and "insightful "

If you can't show some empathy and compassion then rather don't say anything at all.

Robin Williams, RIP

Meh, opinion of someone shouldn't change when they die - Bester thinks Williams sucked as an actor, big deal. Likewise fans of someone's work shouldn't really act outraged at such as if they were family. Still, mocking a dead person is hardly improper, not like the victim cares at that point.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meh, opinion of someone shouldn't change when they die - Bester thinks Williams sucked as an actor, big deal. Likewise fans of someone's work shouldn't really act outraged at such as if they were family. Still, mocking a dead person is hardly improper, not like the victim cares at that point.

Plus Robin Williams would have been the first one to make a joke on his own account.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Last night I had to double check that this wasn't one of those internet pranks like the hundred times someone claimed Morgan Freeman was dead. Great comedian and actor, he'll be missed.

Some people are talking about the stuff he did and I heard good things about Bicentennial Man. Anyone here seen it?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Robin Williams, RIP

As usual you don't seem to get it, having a opinion of someone is fine. But criticizing and dismissing  his acting career on the day he died on a thread where people are paying there respects and are clearly upset is completely inappropriate. There is no way  any rationale person would not realize this, you worry me sometimes with your emotional indifference :blink:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

As usual you don't seem to get it, having a opinion of someone is fine. But criticizing and dismissing  his acting career on the day he died on a thread where people are paying there respects and are clearly upset is completely inappropriate. There is no way  any rationale person would not realize this, you worry me sometimes with your emotional indifference :blink:

It's not inappropriate just because it causes you to get upset. The thread is meant to be a reflection on the person's life or at least the period in which they warranted notice by the world at large. Some will be good, some will be bad.

As for emotional indifference, given that he is a stranger, you'll have to pardon me for not reaching an appropriate level of sadness.

Edited by Malcador

I've read that the two divorces almost ruined him financially, so he was working nonstop on several projects at once which eventually lead him to a break down, drugs and his suicide. 

If that was the case its just really tragic. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.