Dragon Age: Inquisition

It depends on who you ask -- I'd say it was a bad attempt at satire on the concept of torture used to pry information from civilians or POVs a like. Trevor's statements was supposed to amplify some sort of comment on the futility of torture. But because it's such a pointless gameplay section, it feels highly pretentious to say the least.

So, yes, I suppose the message itself might have meant to be political but that didn't really come off that well.

Mostly because Trevor himself is such an unlikeable character and it feels more or less like a glorification of his psychotic urges to spread his pain upon others.

Edited by TheChris92
  • Like 1

It depends on who you ask -- I'd say it was a bad attempt at satire on the concept of torture used to pry information from civilians or POVs a like. Trevor's statements was supposed to amplify some sort of comment on the futility of torture. But because it's such a pointless gameplay section, it feels highly pretentious to say the least.

So, yes, I suppose the message itself might have meant to be political but that didn't really come off that well.

Mostly because Trevor himself is such an unlikeable character and it feels more or less like a glorification of his psychotic urges to spread his pain upon others.

I'll agree that it was rather shoeshorned. Like, they really wanted to make you aware. 

As for the rest, well, that's opinion. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

The GTA series has never, ever been clever or subtle at satire.

I found it entertaining up to GTA IV. However it was when Rockstar's brand of satire began to infect Max Payne that it got tiresome, fast, for me.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I couldn't help but think that every other line in Max Payne 3, whether in monologue or no, was "Class struggle! Class struggle! Class struggle! Substance abuse!" It's not necessarily and\ inaccurate assessment on the state of affairs in Brazil (far from it), but the whole game stunk of the writers imposing their own, Flanderised narrative onto another franchise (like people on this forum or No Mutants Allowed don't know what that's like).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Is Max Payne 3 any good? I only ever played the first one and got a bit annoyed with it.

Its very good, you get to play the game in the slums of Brazil. Its your standard FPS but the story is entertaining and believable

But I suppose it depends on why you didn't like the first one?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is Max Payne 3 any good? I only ever played the first one and got a bit annoyed with it.

I actually preferred the second one, challenge curve seemed to depend less on making enemies ridiculously resistant as the game progressed.

Haven't played the third one.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I disliked Max Payne 3 - totally cinematic, totally frenetic and totally scripted. And this from someone who enjoyed the original Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I don't mind any shooter that lets you think at least 5 milliseconds before you're forced to fire at stuff. Perhaps run to a better spot or pick up a rocket launcher to the left etc. Not with MP3. You stop for 5 milliseconds and the devs will kill you off straight away, and plant your sorry hind area at the last checkpoint (often behind a loooooong cutscene).

I disliked Max Payne 3 - totally cinematic, totally frenetic and totally scripted. And this from someone who enjoyed the original Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I don't mind any shooter that lets you think at least 5 milliseconds before you're forced to fire at stuff. Perhaps run to a better spot or pick up a rocket launcher to the left etc. Not with MP3. You stop for 5 milliseconds and the devs will kill you off straight away, and plant your sorry hind area at the last checkpoint (often behind a loooooong cutscene).

Whelp, you need to make those 5 milliseconds into a minute using bulletime.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Did I unwillingly turn this thread into a Rockstar Games related discussion? :o

Fine, in order to bring this thread back on it's rail I'll ask the question; if DA:I is going to be more open world does that mean I can shoot prostitutes after sex to get my money back?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Fine, in order to bring this thread back on it's rail I'll ask the question; if DA:I is going to be more open world does that mean I can shoot prostitutes after sex to get my money back?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Whelp, you need to make those 5 milliseconds into a minute using bulletime.

I meant not being able to think even a little about how you 'do' a level before it jumping on you and tearing you to shreds. Bullet time has a 'cooldown' (so as an RPG gamer I try to hoard it in case there's something impossilbe around the next corner) and in any event it just turns the manic level action down half a notch. Often if you dont get all but one (or all) of the 10 bad guys during bullet time, you're back to the last checkpoint. (sorry for off topic)

Edited by Halaster

Makes for a release much more contemporaneous with Pillars of Eternity, for those planning on playing both. 

Given the likely relative marketing budgets, that is probably less than ideal for Obsidian. 

Makes for a release much more contemporaneous with Pillars of Eternity, for those planning on playing both. 

Given the likely relative marketing budgets, that is probably less than ideal for Obsidian. 

Given the difference in both target audiences I'd say there isn't a conflict.

village_idiot.gif

am suspecting a venn diagram o' PoE and DA:i purchasers would be showing considerable overlap. all one need do is look at the "which games will you be playing soon" threads here and at other crpg sites to recognize that a goodly number o' folks who were anticipating the release o' PoE were also planning on buying DA:i.

that being said, some % o' folks have the means and wherewithal to purchase both games regardless o' release date timing. am also thinking that obsidian could be pushing back their release date following their beta... 'cause gosh, that never happens, yes? it will be interesting to watch how this all unfolds.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Given the difference in both target audiences I'd say there isn't a conflict."

\

Their target audiences are essentially the same. Nice try, though.   If there is only difference is that BIO/DA's target audience encomapsses more people. Then again, Obsidian has the best selling game of either company so one could argue they should sell more. Plus,. here's the fact, that this news won't stop both games selling lots.

\

\Afterall,  both Bethesda and BIO have released games at the same time relatively and both do well.

I expect both DA3 and  PE to sell 1mil+ in the first month or be considered failures. PERIOD.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.