Dragon Age: Inquisition

If used correctly the wheel is note even bad. For example Alpha Protocol did it brilliantly . It really gets bad if you already know the outcome of your conversations. 

• Like 1

Guest Slinky

Dialogue wheel is just as fine as the normal list as long the characters say things you would expect in that situation and absolutely bollocks when they don't and splurt out something really stupid. The normal list doesn't have that problem since you always know what will be said, so I personally don't see any reason for the wheel to even exist.

I guess some like the randomness in dialogue, but not me. It's supposed to be a interactive game which you are a part of, not a tv show you just watch to see what happens and who says what without control.

Tactical combat looks alright.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't know if it was just because it was indoors, but it didn't zoom out nearly enough to make that view point particularly useful.  Hopefully you can zoom out further.  If not, someone could always just mod the game to zoom out further, I guess.

Outside of that, I wasn't particularly thrilled about the chip away at the boss' ridiculous life bar for a while, kill off a bunch of adds, chip away at the boss' ridiculous life bar, kill off a bunch of adds, lather rinse repeat boss fight.  Though DA:I is hardly the first, nor will they be the last, to use that tired old boss fight trope.  I mean, that kind of fight was cool a couple of times, but it's gotten super stale when 80% of boss fights in 75% of RPGs follow that same exact pattern to the letter.  Who was it that first unleashed that plague on us?  Was it a MMO?  I bet it was a MMO.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't know if it was just because it was indoors, but it didn't zoom out nearly enough to make that view point particularly useful.  Hopefully you can zoom out further.  If not, someone could always just mod the game to zoom out further, I guess.

Outside of that, I wasn't particularly thrilled about the chip away at the boss' ridiculous life bar for a while, kill off a bunch of adds, chip away at the boss' ridiculous life bar, kill off a bunch of adds, lather rinse repeat boss fight.  Though DA:I is hardly the first, nor will they be the last, to use that tired old boss fight trope.  I mean, that kind of fight was cool a couple of times, but it's gotten super stale when 80% of boss fights in 75% of RPGs follow that same exact pattern to the letter.  Who was it that first unleashed that plague on us?  Was it a MMO?  I bet it was a MMO.

This is a better representation of the tactical view which was shown at PAX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbGN7OBngCQ#t=397

Still doesn't zoom out nearly far enough for my tastes.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, boss fight is boring, bosses are just steroid monsters in most games...they just have ridicoulus health bar, high armor, high damage, they don't care if you hit them, they are there to be hit until their health bar reduced to zero

Dark Souls bossess are even ridicoulus, they cheat...

Yeah, boss fight is boring, bosses are just steroid monsters in most games...they just have ridicoulus health bar, high armor, high damage, they don't care if you hit them, they are there to be hit until their health bar reduced to zero

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, crippling limbs will do to a fight. If you could cripple the hind legs of a dragon so it can't push off from the ground into flight without some kind of penalty for only using it's wings, or the front limbs can't properly support the dragon so if it melees with a front leg it has a chance of a critical miss. Smash the head in, a blindless debuff and a restraint/disabling of breath attacks? Could be cool, could be more hit point pools to drain. Hope it's the latter.

• Like 1

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, crippling limbs will do to a fight. If you could cripple the hind legs of a dragon so it can't push off from the ground into flight without some kind of penalty for only using it's wings, or the front limbs can't properly support the dragon so if it melees with a front leg it has a chance of a critical miss. Smash the head in, a blindless debuff and a restraint/disabling of breath attacks? Could be cool, could be more hit point pools to drain. Hope it's the latter.

Yeah, that's a good idea, it's makes it look realistic.

In most games, boses never feel pain, even their health bar near zero they still as powerful as their health bar is full. Of course our character is also like that, the difference is, the weakness of our character is us, human error....even the game determined by dice roll, still it is our decision to drink potions or execute some skills at the right time or forgot to do this or that, and if not diceroll then our character depends on our reflexes...for bossess, they are always the same, they have the same strength from begining to death

Still doesn't zoom out nearly far enough for my tastes.

Really? I think it is like it was i Origins which was totally fine for my personal taste. How far you want to zoom out it was isometric in the end.

Really? I think it is like it was i Origins which was totally fine for my personal taste. How far you want to zoom out it was isometric in the end.

Ideally, far enough out so that I can see everybody on the screen at the same time, all allies and all enemies.  Or, at worst, so that I barely have to scroll to see everybody.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Nah, i don't know what i am seeing...all those flashy stuff, hurt my eyes...

Yeah its still too hectic and flashy, though it looks like I might be able to play it without puking every 10 minutes. Combat seems to be much better than in DA2, I don't love it and won't enjoy it but it looks ''acceptable''. DA2 was a mess. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

If not, someone could always just mod the game to zoom out further, I guess.

Not likely with this engine. 

How Frostbyte 3 would restrict that?

I would like to see game's PC version played as so far I have only seen console UI played with game pad.

Frostbyte isn't mod friendly :(

And the devs for it aren't too keen on making a toolkit. I wish the EA CEO would force them too, that would be ONE thing I would agree. with. 

The good news is that there is a dedicated modding community from the previous games, the bad news is that they might not care about DA:I. I've seen modders develop their own toolkits and tools, so its not impossible even with a new engine but its also not sure.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Dialogue wheel is just as fine as the normal list as long the characters say things you would expect in that situation and absolutely bollocks when they don't and splurt out something really stupid. The normal list doesn't have that problem since you always know what will be said, so I personally don't see any reason for the wheel to even exist.

I never did understand the problem with the dialogue wheel.

Do I want to pick from three-five lines of dialogue that may/may not represent what my character would actually say if I was doing a P&P RPG or do I want to pick from three-five "mood" stances that may/may not represent what my character would actually say if I was doing a P&P RPG?

A bit "Six of one, half a dozen of the other" innit?

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Guest Slinky

Do I want to pick from three-five lines of dialogue that may/may not represent what my character would actually say if I was doing a P&P RPG or do I want to pick from three-five "mood" stances that may/may not represent what my character would actually say if I was doing a P&P RPG?

I probably would be the worst P&P player on the planet, as I can "roleplay" only myself. As in I always pick the dialogue I personally think is the best one, not what the character I play would think would be the best. So, when I am looking at a list of dialogue options, I will pick the one that I like the most or hate the least, the character I play is on some level "me".

Dialogue wheel takes that control from me. I'm entirely at it's mercy, severing that connection between me and the character, giving it will of it's own. Everything is fine when that picked "mood" will result in satisfactory dialogue, but when that doesn't happen I can't say I'm too pleased about it.

I mostly agree, but I do like how a full-text listing can give you more than 3 or 4 options when appropriate. 

I probably would be the worst P&P player on the planet, as I can "roleplay" only myself. As in I always pick the dialogue I personally think is the best one, not what the character I play would think would be the best. So, when I am looking at a list of dialogue options, I will pick the one that I like the most or hate the least, the character I play is on some level "me".

Dialogue wheel takes that control from me. I'm entirely at it's mercy, severing that connection between me and the character, giving it will of it's own. Everything is fine when that picked "mood" will result in satisfactory dialogue, but when that doesn't happen I can't say I'm too pleased about it.

I guess it doesn't faze me; I can't expect the nuance I'd get in a P&P game in a video game so my expectations are hugely shifted playing one.

I mostly agree, but I do like how a full-text listing can give you more than 3 or 4 options when appropriate.

I dunno, full-text is okay but it can't escape the issue that its never going to be all encompassing. In the end 7 well written text options that never quite match up to what I want to say is just as useless as four.

But then I may just have a higher tolerance to narrative railroading in video games.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

you elaborate? I'm seriously not getting the hate for this game when everything points to the fact that Bioware will pull it out of the bag. One dicey game and a buggered up ending and any RPG community I go to treats it like the end of the world.

Something changed in Bioware when they made Mass Effect 2 and ever since.  I cannot quite put my finger on it but their plots just seemed more contrived and always going for the melodrama.  Their characters seem more cheesy.  Everything seems pushed towards the mass market like a big budget film or a pop song.  Things have a more cinematic feel with big dramatic explosions and big damn heroes and so forth.  That is fine and dandy for people who like that sort of thing.  I even like it in small doses, I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2, but they definitely have communicated to me that they are not interested anymore in making serious RPGs.  They want the mass market with all that that means.  That is fair but it means Bioware is no longer making games for folks like me in mind.  So I have not bought their games since.

The fact that they are published by EA, a publisher who gives off this creepy vibe that they loathe and distrust their customers, doesn't help things.  Even in my limited dealings with them for ME 2 and DA:O I found it very unnerving.

Edited by Valmy

plots just seemed more contrived.

I hear you regarding the melodrama, but it'd be pretty tough to get more "contrived" than the main plots to Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic were.   

• Like 1