Dragon Age: Inquisition

Cassandra is a guy....if you don't already know...

Like, a guy who was assigned female gender at birth, or...?

No, no, no...he's the guy....

I think you are incorrect, can you provide some links that discuss this?

There was a rumor that said that one member of the cast was trans, I thought that was going to be a sign that Maevaris was going to be in DA:I.

That is interesting, I wonder if anyone can provide some proof of this?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The hype for this game is a little absurd with articles claiming Bioware is doing all these new innovative things which have not only been done before but by Bioware's own games.  "This game will focus on you and building your team around you" - yes all your games have that focus.

"This game will actually respond to your choices' - um yes you say that for all your games.  The implication I guess is they have failed to do this in the past, and now they are going to succeed.  I guess that is fair some extent.

"This game has a totally new and refreshing take on party interaction and romance" - by dumping the influence and gift system and instead by having people react to events and conversations...so basically like all their games before.

"You can actually conquer territory" - Yes games have been doing that forever.

It is funny, and a little annoying, how they can keep selling the same stuff as innovative and new when it is largely the same stuff they have always done.  Talk about pushing my cynicism buttons.  On the other hand some of it sounds reasonable promising, like they are returning to their roots a bit and rejecting a lot of their unsuccessful innovations and I guess it is better to make it sound like progress than regression if that is the case.  The main innovation they did with DA:O that was great was the origin stories, but for all the hype and praise that feature had it is interesting they have never returned to it.  Was it a failure in their book?

• Like 3

The hype for this game is a little absurd with articles claiming Bioware is doing all these new innovative things which have not only been done before but by Bioware's own games.  "This game will focus on you and building your team around you" - yes all your games have that focus.

"This game will actually respond to your choices' - um yes you say that for all your games.  The implication I guess is they have failed to do this in the past, and now they are going to succeed.  I guess that is fair some extent.

"This game has a totally new and refreshing take on party interaction and romance" - by dumping the influence and gift system and instead by having people react to events and conversations...so basically like all their games before.

"You can actually conquer territory" - Yes games have been doing that forever.

It is funny, and a little annoying, how they can keep selling the same stuff as innovative and new when it is largely the same stuff they have always done.  Talk about pushing my cynicism buttons.  On the other hand some of it sounds reasonable promising, like they are returning to their roots a bit and rejecting a lot of their unsuccessful innovations and I guess it is better to make it sound like progress than regression if that is the case.  The main innovation they did with DA:O that was great was the origin stories, but for all the hype and praise that feature had it is interesting they have never returned to it.  Was it a failure in their book?

Yeah, the more they show of this game, the more my enthusiasm is cooling. It definitely seems that Bioware is going aggressively after the Skyrim audience - the way conversations are handled, the resource farming, the mounts, the emphasis on dragon fights. None of this is necessarily bad, per se, but I don't think the reason people didn't like Dragon Age 2 was lack of mounts.

It's so difficult to tell what has or has not actually been improved based on the gameplay videos they've shown.  On the one hand, it feels like they've shown a lot.  On the other hand, I still have no sense of whether the moment-to-moment combat feels substantially different from Dragon Age 2.  Throwing around buzzwords like "consequences" is not actually that informative.

I'm curious about what Laidlaw says regarding the companion stories being influenced by the player choices

In the clip, Leilana has apparently been tortured after being captured on a mission we sent them on. Is the players choice only going to be to send, not send in this kind of scenario, or would it be possible with the right preparation, equipment, level etc where Leilana could be sent and not caught?

Tactical view at 5:20 or so.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm curious about what Laidlaw says regarding the companion stories being influenced by the player choices

In the clip, Leilana has apparently been tortured after being captured on a mission we sent them on. Is the players choice only going to be to send, not send in this kind of scenario, or would it be possible with the right preparation, equipment, level etc where Leilana could be sent and not caught?

More importantly, can I 

send Leliana out on a mission where she may get tortured again?  Preferably killed, but if tortured is the best that can happen then I guess that's a decent compromise.

?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

More importantly, can I 

send Leliana out on a mission where she may get tortured again?  Preferably killed, but if tortured is the best that can happen then I guess that's a decent compromise.

?

Even more important

will she be singing again?

:p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd settle for option to kill her, preferably in a way she actually stays dead :p

Every party-based RPG desperately needs a murder companion in their sleep option.  Elanee would have never even made it to Neverwinter in NWN2 had that been an option.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hey, if you're going to murder companions just because they're creepy and screwed up, then you'd end up facing the king of shadows alone with the animated suit of armor.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Guest Slinky

I'd settle for option to kill her, preferably in a way she actually stays dead :p

Every party-based RPG desperately needs a murder companion in their sleep option.  Elanee would have never even made it to Neverwinter in NWN2 had that been an option.

Haha yeah, citizens of neverwinter would have found parts of Grobnar for years if I'd had my way.

I kinda liked how Mask of Betrayer handled it, with the Amulet of Betrayal Personified and all.

Hey, if you're going to murder companions just because they're creepy and screwed up, then you'd end up facing the king of shadows alone with the animated suit of armor.

Nah, Neeshka, Khelgar, Sand, and Qara would have survived.  I liked those four.

In Dragon Age: Origins I would have murdered everyone except Wynne and Shale.  Wynne was cool, and Shale...  I'm not sure how I would even go about murdering Shale.  Dude is made of rock.

In DA2 everyone but Varric would get murdered.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

In Dragon Age: Origins I would have murdered everyone except Wynne and Shale.  Wynne was cool, and Shale...  I'm not sure how I would even go about murdering Shale.  Dude is made of rock.

Paper.

• Like 6

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Paper.

You, sir, have just won the internet.  Thank you for that, my day has been made.  :lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The new gameplay video doesn't encourage me. 

- There doesn't seem to be any friendly fire, unless it is implemented like DA2, which was horrible. 

- They talk about tactical positioning, but most of the time I see the archer NPC standing in the middle of melee shooting arrows. Hopefully the demo was just easy mode. 

- Tactical camera just seems like moving the camera around the battlefield rather than zooming out to get a better view of everything. I do like how you could position Iron Bull at the chokepoint with a defend option.

- Boss battle with the mage seemed gimmicky. Again, enemies seem to have a whole different set of spells and skills from the party and have a massive HP pool. When I fight a mage, most of the fun comes from figuring out how to get past his defensive spells, protecting myself from his debilitating offensive spells and then taking the mage down quickly. Chipping away at his health pool while he becomes invincible at certain points, then fighting his summoned minions then rinse repeat seems tedious and not challenging. 

Nah, Neeshka, Khelgar, Sand, and Qara would have survived.  I liked those four.

In DA2 everyone but Varric would get murdered.

Is it weird that I'm most offended you would've killed the dog? 

(Also, Qara gets to live?!) 

• Like 2

-snip-

Is it weird that I'm most offended you would've killed the dog? 

(Also, Qara gets to live?!) 

My bad, the Mabari War Hound gets to live.  I'm not into animal cruelty.

As for Qara, she was awesome.  I thoroughly enjoyed her abrasive personality.  Her trading barbs with Khelgar and Neeshka was some of my favorite banter in the game.  I can't be the only one who liked Qara, can I?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I always kept Qara. Fun to have her disintegrate Sand at the end (his betrayal doesn't make a lick of sense either way).

Sorcerers are just better than wizards in every way the way NWN2 is designed.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I always kept Qara. Fun to have her disintegrate Sand at the end (his betrayal doesn't make a lick of sense either way).

Sorcerers are just better than wizards in every way the way NWN2 is designed.

She was my absolute favourite :wub:  I loved her and supported her in everything she wanted..but I'm not sure if she betrayed me? And  I did LOVE using her Meteor Storm to obliterate all enemies..."the sacred flames swept them away "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't even remember any characters from DA:O...

No offense but that's almost  impossible for someone of your intelligence, you would be insulting your gamers insight if you really can't remember one character :blink:

John Milton