Dragon Age: Inquisition

http://www.pcgamer.com/au/2014/07/10/dragon-age-inquisition-e3-video-emerges-with-16-minutes-of-gameplay/#null

The usual hyperbole - the most reactive RPG you'll ever play blah blah blah.

No tactical top-down as far as I can see. This really is a console title, isn't it?

Seems so. At least you have Eternity being released around the same time if DA3 isn't what you were hoping for.

That gameplay footage looks a lot older than what was on display at E3 this year.

1. the party member list on screen is very different, and looks a lot more basic.

2. The circle of skills for console kiddies will be replaced by the skills bar as it was in DA:O (or it better be!)

3. The top down camera *is* there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRn_cORyPiQ,  

(it is in there somewhere)

I'm also disappointed I've not seen any "No one expects the Dragon Age: Inqusition!" jokes. I'm really looking forward to this game, at least as much as PoE. I read somewhere that this had started development before DA2 (and EA wanted quick cash) so they've had a long time to polish and get this right.

• Like 1

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

http://www.pcgamer.com/au/2014/07/10/dragon-age-inquisition-e3-video-emerges-with-16-minutes-of-gameplay/#null

No tactical top-down as far as I can see. This really is a console title, isn't it?

Its in there. Just watch the whole thing and do not skip forward XD

- I had doubts before but now I can state without a doubt: Icewind Dale is a better game in every way;

you had me until about here

I agree with him that IWD is better than BG2. I really liked BG2, but when it came down to which one I was more likely to replay, it was IWD.

Now obviously there are things that BG2 does really well (and the whole companion thing IWD doesn't bother with) and if those are things you prize highly in a game I can certainly see why BG2 would rate higher. But in terms of the actual gameplay, I rate IWD better to me.

What i mean about Obsidian is not like Bioware is their attitude...maybe i am wrong, i don't know...but so far i don't see or smell anything like Bioware here...

The problem with Bioware is their attitude

I think that when people assume that a corporate entity has an "attitude", they'll end up in the wrong simply because a corporation is not alive even though it behaves as a living thing. The great Leviathan and as one, made of people who are ultimately who decide and influence said attitude. Without being privy to the internal culture inside BW all we can do is speculate.

If I had to point something out it would be the thematic differences in their works, BW has become more about the romances/companion based narrative driven games and Obs keep doing unique RPGs and being awesome at it.

Organizations do have a culture, and that culture can permeate anything. I don't think its unfair to say that culture can foster a mindset that is projected to the customer via the employees. Thus an "attitude".

Multiple factors create that - its a gestalt projection, of course, of organizational culture, employees, policy and procedure all meeting and mingling. But its there even if its an unintended consequence of group psychology.

And to actually post on, you know, dragon age, from the way they commented on the human last name, I assume it'll be like dao where your last name is set based on your origin (race in this case). So "inquisitor" will be the normal way of referring to you with occasional last name drops for more specifity...

I think this is an easy way for them to tie their continuity together, to be honest (even if - based on the nature of the way the series develops, the continuity is fairly loose)

Pretty sure that I've seen it in the E3 DA:I interview Mike Laidlaw did.

I'm also disappointed I've not seen any "No one expects the Dragon Age: Inqusition!" jokes.

I prefer History of the World Part 1 Inquisition jokes. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^Is that a departure from normal (I haven't played the franchise)? Is everyone in the previous games bisexual?

Nope, not everyone. Just the less-annoying ones.

well, we found shale and the dog to be least annoying in da:o. didn't say the dog were well-written, but it were less annoying. am gonna assume, to keep this all pg-rated, that the dog were not counting as bisexual for the immediate query. 

give us a second to try and recall the da2 companions. this will require some effort as they were largely forgettable or horrible.  

varric and aveline were our favorite companions, but am needing to consider if they were 'least annoying. anders were most annoying. 

nevertheless, am thinking that there is departures from previous games that will no doubt causes howls o' anguish from the mini-game sexification fans. your starting race is gonna result in some romances being unavailable. is our recollection that in da:o no romance option were having race limitations.  da2 had no race choice for hawke, so yeah, this counts as a fascist and reactionary move by bioware in the eyes o' the Freedom and Love For All crowd. similarly, while da:o had gender preferences, it is possible that da2 marked an enlightened evolution. am honestly not knowing, but were all romanceable characters in da2 available to  hawke regardless o' his gender? if so, then using something so anachronistic and inegalitarian as gender preferences in da:i would be, by comparison, criminal and ungodly... or at least unkanadian.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm sure, somewhere out there in the BioSphere, someone's immersion is being badly broken.

I'd like to break Monica Bellucci's immersion.

17GlncV970g.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

^Is that a departure from normal (I haven't played the franchise)? Is everyone in the previous games bisexual?

Specifically for DA1 Alistair and Morrigan were only romance-able by opposite gendered Wardens. Leilana and Zevran were romance-able regardless of Warden gender. Race was never considered, as far as I recall.

In DA2, each romantic interest were always interested in the Champion in the primary game (Anders, Fenris, Merrill, Isabella) but DLC companion Sebastion is only romance-able by opposite gendered Champion.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Specifically for DA1 Alistair and Morrigan were only romance-able by opposite gendered Wardens. Leilana and Zevran were romance-able regardless of Warden gender. Race was never considered, as far as I recall.

In DA2, each romantic interest were always interested in the Champion in the primary game (Anders, Fenris, Merrill, Isabella) but DLC companion Sebastion is only romance-able by opposite gendered Champion.

To be fair, Sebastian is also the most chaste romance (he's basically a bow-priest).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm going to cite this thread as an example of how the romance thing gets overblown, not by Bioware, but its haters. :p

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Cassandra is a guy....if you don't already know...

Like, a guy who was assigned female gender at birth, or...?

Edit: nope, even the wiki consistently refers to her as... well, her.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

No, no, no...he's the guy....

I think you are incorrect, can you provide some links that discuss this?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm going to cite this thread as an example of how the romance thing gets overblown, not by Bioware, but its haters. :p

"Haters", what, is this high school ? :p  Overblown by their fans I'd say - who have rather serious mental issues.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks really lacking right now and their newest video with 15 mins of gameplay only made it worse (what's that? anti-marketing?)...

- weird incoherent art design

- horrible GUI (both functions and especially design)

- dumbed down tactical combat

- laughable fights with mediocre/bad AI (what I've seen so far)

- really bad horse animations (I mean really bad)

- forced to travel in 3rd person perspective outside of combat

- a lot of uninteresting party characters with...

- ...rubbed in your face political correctness

- catering to console action kiddies whereever possible, yay!

- generic player have to save the world story, following the Bioware template word by word

I'm not sure I want to play that game at release for full price anymore. I liked Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins but that game seems worse than both in almost every aspect. Right now I only want to play it for the story and dialogues and stuff (and even the story seems to be generic and unimaginative as hell...) and that probably not enough to justify full price. It's a shame to see what Bioware have become given the fact that the same freakin company has created my beloved BG2 more than a decade ago... :getlost:

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

No, no, no...he's the guy....

I think you are incorrect, can you provide some links that discuss this?

There was a rumor that said that one member of the cast was trans, I thought that was going to be a sign that Maevaris was going to be in DA:I.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif