What are you playing now

Not sure what the fuss is about Uplay either. I tried to connect tonight, the game tried for like three seconds, then it said "Connection failed, want to play offline?". Clicked the offline button and the game started as usual.

I guess I'd be less apathetic about it unless I had read that this is Ubisofts fastest selling game to date. I'm guessing their servers are getting hammered.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Not sure what the fuss is about Uplay either. I tried to connect tonight, the game tried for like three seconds, then it said "Connection failed, want to play offline?". Clicked the offline button and the game started as usual.

I guess I'd be less apathetic about it unless I had read that this is Ubisofts fastest selling game to date. I'm guessing their servers are getting hammered.

I am going to say this and I am not trying to undermine all the frustration but I haven't had any issues with Uplay except for once where I had to wait a few hours before logging on. I also don't get all the acrimony directed towards them

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, I switched off the online play after getting annoyed with the amount of times it would do the "invitation to x form of online activity" then spend 3-4 minutes chundering on "looking for players" then telling me there were none.

Instead I let my bout of ocd hit with the collectibles and such..

I will say the gunfights are pretty damn punishing. It really doesn't take much for Aiden to get killed, no magic cinematic mass bullet soak and the AI is pretty good. They communicate, they flank, they will take cover and try to work around you.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Finished off BS5.   Decent game overall.  Now I don't know what to play, probably a clue to do productive things :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Been playing a little bit of Watch Dogs.  Hacked into someone's game and was able to successfully hack the person and leave.  Then I was invaded where I walked into an area, the person got freaked and start running to a car, got into the car and was got in a traffic jam where I could easily take him out.  Quite funny to be honest, but I could see these functions being quite fun.

Guest Slinky

Managed to kill the Rebel Flagship in FTL for the first time. Sheesh the last phase is chaotic, enemies boarding, own crew members getting mind controlled, missile fire breaking everything and setting fires everywhere. I lost all hope after two of my last three guys died trying to put out the massive fires in weapon system room, but somehow my only functioning weapon with a loooooong reload time loaded up just seconds before I was a goner and dealt just enough to blow the bastard out of the sky.

I never have really played rogue like games, but I sure am starting to see the appeal.

I must say I'm very positively surprised by Watch_Dogs. When I first started playing it, it seemed like it would become repetitive very quickly. And it did. I did the tutorial mission and then I started running around in the city just hacking things and exploring.. and it got kind of old. But then I did one main mission and the game opened up unexpectedly. A few more missions in and I'm almost overwhelmed by the choices before me, in a good way. There are several story threads I am eager to find out the next chain of events in, the main mission is getting interesting, the gang hideouts are fun as hell to clear, the environmental puzzles are really cool and surprisingly varied and even the history tidbits are interesting (never knew how much violence Chicago has been through!).

There are weaknesses of course, but the positives are outweighing them 10:1 right now.

Edit: one cool thing that I might mention is that I've cleared all the CT towers except one, more than half of the gang hangouts and a lot of other violent activities.. and I've never fired my gun! I just sneak around with my blackjack and smack people. I love that this is even an option.

Edited by mkreku
  • Like 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Edit: one cool thing that I might mention is that I've cleared all the CT towers except one, more than half of the gang hangouts and a lot of other violent activities.. and I've never fired my gun! I just sneak around with my blackjack and smack people. I love that this is even an option.

Yeah, the stealth in the game is pretty decent and you can use your hacking to supplement that by creating blackouts, causing distractions, and so on.  Or you can cause steam vents and transformers to blow up when they're next to goons, or cause explosives they are carrying to go off and kill them without ever firing a shot, if you're feeling a bit more bloodthirsty.  Or you can just go in guns blazing and mow them down.  It's nice how you can tackle things in a variety of ways, and they're all viable.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have to stop reading peoples' thoughts on Watch Dogs or I'll be tempted to go out and buy it.

If you are into GTA style games, why shouldn't you get it? Unless you are a PC player, then you might want to wait till they fix the uplay connection issues at least.

More of my own constraints than anything.  I just bought Wolfenstein: The New Order last week, and I try to impose a "new game per month" limit on myself.  So buying Watch Dogs a week after my other purchase flies in the face of what I'm imposing on myself.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I should probably start finishing some games instead of serially starting new ones that are on my backlog. The last victim being Legend of Grimrock. I should note that I've never played any of the "old school" games it's getting its mustard from, so I'm fairly unlikely to appreciate any of the mechanics based on nostalgia alone ;) Anyway I made it to level 4 and am enjoying it so far though I think I'd have preferred if it were turn based, especially the time based puzzles can be rather annoying in my experience.

I quit my current session (due to it getting rather late, or early, depending on your point of view) in some puzzle room with trapdoors in level 4 (I solved the other 3 puzzle rooms you can access from the lvl4 entrance hall already), from the looks of it this bit could become a rather frustrating trial and error affair (I tried running through twice, first time I got stuck before a closed door and fell down to the floor below, second time I noticed a hidden door and fell through the floor there somewhere)

I'm also still mucking around a bit with Dragon Commander, I had to restart the campaign (because of other computer and no Steam Cloud support) and accidentally left the difficulty on normal. I think the correct terminology for what happened is that I got "wtfpwnd". Restarted on "easy" and I'm moving forward again. Still in Act I though since I'm metagaming and stacking up on research points and gold to start Act II with (not doing so was the mistake I made the first time though...).

Huh. Not sure if I missed something or not, but in Watch Dogs I've managed to keep a high vigilante rating, there have been no news stories about me, you go through a chunk of Act 1 and 2 making sure no-one knows its you.. and then suddenly a few missions into Act 3 and my face is on the in-story cutscene news, and there's radio news about the vigilante Aiden Pearce....

Hmmm....

Huh. Not sure if I missed something or not, but in Watch Dogs I've managed to keep a high vigilante rating, there have been no news stories about me, you go through a chunk of Act 1 and 2 making sure no-one knows its you.. and then suddenly a few missions into Act 3 and my face is on the in-story cutscene news, and there's radio news about the vigilante Aiden Pearce....

Hmmm....

Were you in a railroad yard when the news story broke?

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So apparently I was afflicted by the Uplay cloud save corruption bug in Watch Dogs, which is probably caused by me redeeming one of my Uplay rewards then trying to reload that save game. Lost about 24 hours worth of gameplay.

Starting over now.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Hmmm....

Were you in a railroad yard when the news story broke?

No, there was no breaking news story.

One minute I've been all quite and unknown and just "the vigilante" with no name, then I do the mission that has you meeting T-Bone.. and the cut-scene has my face plastered across the news. Next thing there's radio news reports about the manhunt for Aidan Pearce, but absolutely no mention of how they figured it out. 

Weirdness. Just a little disconnect I guess.

Edit: Okay then.. and a few missions later, there's a big reveal of who you are. That's.. a little bit odd. Things seem a little out of kilter there.

Edited by Raithe

I was mostly trying to make a joke about you being railroaded by the game into having your identity exposed.

And failing, obviously. :sweat:

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, I am be-puzzled. I'm afraid that one went right over my head in my state of disconcertment.. :)

• Like 1

Playing? People play things? What is playing?

It sounds like something I should remember from long ago...

;(

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm still playing Fire Emblem: Awakening.  Finally got loads and loads of Master and Secondary Seals. 

And actually I've realized a few things about the FE series that makes me want to go back and play that DS FE game I got and never finished...

Out of stuff to play, have the strange urge to run through the ME games again maybe with a biotic this time so maybe I will do that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Okay, with Watch Dogs.. I think things I would wish them to pay heed for the sequel (since its pretty much assured of going into franchise)...

1: Better inventory control method.  Being in the middle of a gunfight and having to hit tab to open up inventory, mouse "wiggle" to highlight an option, then either mousewheel or arrow keys to scroll through that option - all while you're getting shot at... That gets a wee bit awkward.

2: More news reports about your activities. Or at least the results of your activities. Some gauge of what's happening in the world. There were hardly any snippets about what you did. Mission where raging third world war happens in a gang block the police don't go into and gang leadership decapitated? One brief mention and that lasted about 10 seconds. Until the last couple of missions there wasn't even any mention of the popularity of such of the vigilante, even though the "vigilante" was news from the very first mission.  

Note: The "big" side missions of such where you have a whole bunch of collectibles to gather and then a final mission to wrap up - like the serial killer, don't get mentioned. The sex slave trade only gets a short clip in the end credits, and no mention in game despite having been linked to a main storyline mission and explosions, gunfights, and hordes of cops descending on the docks.

So yes, something more to make the world feel more alive and reactive to your actions.

3: Economy. Seriously, once you've picked up a few weapons, there's nothing to really spend that much money on. Even if you stop hacking random citizenry and stealing their money you end up with a ridiculous amount of cash that just sits there. There should be something to do with it.

4: Offline mode : If you've got it switched to offline mode you should stop getting the damn pop ups inviting you to accept online contracts.

5: Audio logs : Most of the collectibles and such involved background on characters and things happening in the form of various audio clips / diaries. Which is all fine and dandy for providing background fluff.... But when it reveals big kickers about things, but then your character acts completely oblivious to what you've discovered (in fact, not even recognising names and terms) it feels decidedly odd. There needs to be some form of reactivity, or at least not provide access to those sorts of logs until after events in the game where they get discussed. It's just, disconnecting to have a road map of what is really going on laid out to you, but not having it mean anything in game.

2: More news reports about your activities. Or at least the results of your activities. Some gauge of what's happening in the world. There were hardly any snippets about what you did. Mission where raging third world war happens in a gang block the police don't go into and gang leadership decapitated? One brief mention and that lasted about 10 seconds. Until the last couple of missions there wasn't even any mention of the popularity of such of the vigilante, even though the "vigilante" was news from the very first mission.  

Note: The "big" side missions of such where you have a whole bunch of collectibles to gather and then a final mission to wrap up - like the serial killer, don't get mentioned. The sex slave trade only gets a short clip in the end credits, and no mention in game despite having been linked to a main storyline mission and explosions, gunfights, and hordes of cops descending on the docks.

So yes, something more to make the world feel more alive and reactive to your actions.

So the tl;dr version of point 2 is: Dear Watch-Dogs devs, please play Alpha Protocol.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).