What are you playing now

Playing Hitman 2: Silent Assassin.

Good lord. This game is a lot harder than Blood Money, that's for sure. A bit more arbitrary, too. I didn't quite understand how the scoring system worked, where I assumed, like in Blood Money, any non-target kill that can't be ruled strictly an accident, (a chandelier falling on someone's head, being pushed over the side of a boat's railing and drowning, etc.), will immediately downgrade you from the Silent Assassin rating, which made beating the first two missions nearly impossible, as the knockout drug doesn't work the same, (instead of being permanent unless found and woken up by another NPC, it's just a timer until they wake up), and they'll cause an alert no matter what.

I then Googled to figure out that, hey, you actually can kill a non-target via normal methods under certain circumstances, which would've made the first two missions about a thousand times easier than what I had to go through. Additionally, disguises don't work remotely near as well as they do in Blood Money. You're discovered after about two, three seconds of walking in front of an enemy while disguised, as opposed to Blood Money's basically infinite amount of time (by comparison).

However, in spite of the difficulties I was having, it was kind of fun devising methods to play it harder than required by even the hardest of the ratings, but...I think I'll enjoy the slightly less masochist standards I'll be employing from here on out from knowing what I do now.

Barti you should try to play the Hitman series with the non-lethal strategy. That takes real skill, if you can get through the game without killing anyone then "you are da man "

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ha ha. So funny, Bruce. :p Non-lethal approach in an assassination game, yes, I'll be sure to do that right away...:p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ha ha. So funny, Bruce. :p Non-lethal approach in an assassination game, yes, I'll be sure to do that right away... :p

:biggrin: I do sometimes get the odd funny comment right hey Barti

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

with all that VtM Bloodlines business reminding me so much of DX: HR I couldn't resist and bought the DIrector's Cut from the Humble Bundle store (where it's currently at 75% off), I hope this particular version comes with all DLCs or something extra, because I'm not in the mood to just replay the original campaign yet

Well there was only really one DLC - but originally the DLC wasn't integrated into the game: it was a separate entry in your Steam games list and was executed independently of the rest of the game. The director's cut places it where it belongs in the main game. So frankly, you will be replaying the original campaign, because that's the only thing available to do. The other main change would be the boss fights, besides that there are some graphical tweaks (neither positive nor negative really, just baffling), new game plus, and some commentary, nothing consequential.

As I had bought the Missing Link DLC, the Developer's Commentary was well worth the price of admission for the $5 I spent on it.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Good lord. This game is a lot harder than Blood Money, that's for sure. A bit more arbitrary, too. I didn't quite understand how the scoring system worked, where I assumed, like in Blood Money, any non-target kill that can't be ruled strictly an accident, (a chandelier falling on someone's head, being pushed over the side of a boat's railing and drowning, etc.), will immediately downgrade you from the Silent Assassin rating, which made beating the first two missions nearly impossible, as the knockout drug doesn't work the same, (instead of being permanent unless found and woken up by another NPC, it's just a timer until they wake up), and they'll cause an alert no matter what.

I then Googled to figure out that, hey, you actually can kill a non-target via normal methods under certain circumstances, which would've made the first two missions about a thousand times easier than what I had to go through. Additionally, disguises don't work remotely near as well as they do in Blood Money. You're discovered after about two, three seconds of walking in front of an enemy while disguised, as opposed to Blood Money's basically infinite amount of time (by comparison).

However, in spite of the difficulties I was having, it was kind of fun devising methods to play it harder than required by even the hardest of the ratings, but...I think I'll enjoy the slightly less masochist standards I'll be employing from here on out from knowing what I do now.

OTOH, running and gunning is also a fairly viable strategy in Silent Assassin, and the way you gather weapons from enemies also adds an interesting dimension.

I remember getting the M4 being one of the biggest hassles I've bothered in a game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

After trying—and failing—to get into TW1, I'm trying to set up a BGT installation with ~30 mods. The Big World compatibility document is more than 300 pages, and they apparently recommend using an automatic installer because it's such a headache and chances are good that doing it manually will break something. I checked the EE forums to see if the mod scene has picked up the slack, but some of the best pieces are still not compatible (Spell and Item Revisions, for instance), so it's still a no-buy for me. It's funny because it's almost as if this was a Bethesda game.

If it doesn't work or I get bored while trying to sort it out, I'll probably go for a second playthrough of NWN2. The good thing about a forgettable OC is that it'll be like playing it for the first time again.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A pity, TW1 is far better than NWN2 or anything else released in that period.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Joined all the factions in Skyrim. Now to become leader. Also making progress with the main quest. I've spent around 80 hours on the game without completing it. I know I could have done it in half the time, but what the hey. Every time I turn on the computer these last few weeks, I've booted this or Baldur's Gate II up.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I freely admit that I have peculiar tastes. Could never get into PST or Arcanum either. I'll probably give it a serious try at some point.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I finished Child of Light, though I'll still go back at some point to try to 100% the game (I still need to find 2 confessions and a couple of the fireflies).  I liked the game a lot.  The story is quite simplistic, basically a children's story you tell them at bedtime, which is fine, since that's what the game was going for.  The highlight of the game is the combat system.  Not a big surprise as I liked the combat in Grandia, and this is ripped straight from that.  The combination of the interrupt mechanic and using Igniculus to slow down enemies is pretty darn brilliant, though.  One or two missteps in a battle can send you into something akin to a stunlock as you constantly get interrupted and/or setback.  Play your cards right and you can do that to your enemies.  Learning how fast enemies progress through the timer and trying to guess whether they will use a long casting time ability constantly keeps you on your toes.  Add to that certain enemies that you may purposely not want to interrupt since the counter interrupts, usually with a buff to themselves or a debuff to you.  It makes the battles engaging and even frantic in some parts, which is quite unusual for what is essentially a turn-based system.  I do wish there was more to do in the world than fight enemies.  The platforming is really easy because you can fly.  There are some areas where either wind or water pushes you around, making it harder to traverse, but nothing particularly taxing.  Ubi did a great job of hiding hidden areas and paths, though.  Right up to the end I was still finding paths I had missed even in areas I had been in multiple times before.  It's not the meatiest game in the world, but the price was more than fair.  I'm definitely satisfied with my purchase.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

couldn't disagree more. Witcher isn't a party based game, for starters. this alone makes it less appealing, imho. 

actually, now that I think about it, I have no fond memories from my times playing the Witcher. it must have been a terrible games in my eyes then, means I would actually hate it now, that my taste is more refined :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Universe Sandbox for a bit as I don't really feel like much of anything currently.  Is amazing what Eta Carinae can do

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

it's amazing how many people disliked NWN2. I thought it was very good, I loved the characters, and some dungeons were fun. I even liked the combat in it! 

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I didn't hate the NWN2 OC, I just thought it was pretty mediocre and really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dragged through the middle portion.  I don't think I could stomach going through it again.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guest Slinky

Grobnar and that pissy sorcerer brat

gw-1343114250282.gif

Only good reason to play NWN2 OC in my books is to get to Mask of the Betrayer with the same character.

Grobnar and that pissy sorcerer brat

gw-1343114250282.gif

Only good reason to play NWN2 OC in my books is to get to Mask of the Betrayer with the same character.

I actually didn't mind Qara.  Elanee, on the other hand...

office-space-printer-beat-down-gif.gif

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I've recently finished Dungeon Siege 3 with Reinhart. this was also the first time I played the DLC content.

Meanwhile, I have New Vegas and Dark Souls characters standing around doing nothing, while I play Reus (pretty awesome!), and the daily Spelunky challenge.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

GAAAAH...why won't the secret seller appear in my FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING game?  I'm in desperate need of some Master Seals...  ;_______________;

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm looking for a game where you play as a knight and each death helps you progress. Such as stepping over your dead clones to get past a spike pit. I forget the name.

There are two games that I know of with a similar mechanic, but probably neither is the one you're looking for:

The Company of Myself

The Swapper

Life Goes On is the game you are looking for.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

OTOH, running and gunning is also a fairly viable strategy in Silent Assassin, and the way you gather weapons from enemies also adds an interesting dimension.

I remember getting the M4 being one of the biggest hassles I've bothered in a game.

Er, well, yes...but you get terrible mission ratings, and it wouldn't be very fun to just gun down everyone I meet...I mean, shooting is pretty easy...:p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.