What are you playing now

The graphics in the Mass Effect games were never particularly remarkable, but they worked well with the mostly clean and industrial designs of the areas, which worked miracles to mask the lack of fidelity.  What always stood out the most for me, and this isn't confined to just Mass Effect games, this is symptom of Unreal Engine, is the horrendously jarring texture pop-in.

I can't recall what pop-in is

Here's an example from Mass Effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKy4LrnymM

Maybe the most glaring texture pop-in I've ever experienced was in GTA IV:

And in Rage:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Play Remember Me for an actually great looking Unreal engine game.

Though great looking is the only positive thing one can say about that garbage.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Good soundtrack. Other than that, you are right.

The graphics in the Mass Effect games were never particularly remarkable, but they worked well with the mostly clean and industrial designs of the areas, which worked miracles to mask the lack of fidelity.  What always stood out the most for me, and this isn't confined to just Mass Effect games, this is symptom of Unreal Engine, is the horrendously jarring texture pop-in.

I can't recall what pop-in is

And in Rage:

Ah, I thought as much.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

It's too bad since the setting was great and the concept was good, but the game was dreadfully boring.  Ironic that a game called Remember Me was so forgettable. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Now I remember why I gave up and never finished Gears of War.  That final boss fight on the train.

So damn annoying, and goes against everything the player was "trained" to do throughout the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

And in Rage:

The mass effect video is from a console version, consoles always had problems with texture popping, especially the backgrounds.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

The mass effect video is from a console version, consoles always had problems with texture popping, especially the backgrounds.

It happens on PC too, I can speak from experience.  Ini tweaks can lessen the effect, especially if you have a lot of memory to work with, but you can only really lessen the problem, never completely get rid of it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Now I remember why I gave up and never finished Gears of War.  That final boss fight on the train.

So damn annoying, and goes against everything the player was "trained" to do throughout the game.

you can cheese it, while the boss is being distracted by your team, dash for  the minigun at the back of the car, one burst will finish him off

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

you can cheese it, while the boss is being distracted by your team, dash for  the minigun at the back of the car, one burst will finish him off

I've tried the minigun.  It doesn't seem to do any damage (and yes, I know those kryll have to be away from him for him to take damage) and next thing I know I'm dead because he fires at me.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I gave up on trying to beat Raam and just moved on to Gears of War 2.  Nothing sours me on a game more than when suddenly the boss fight goes against pretty much everything you were taught to do in the game to "strategize" for the tough fights.

Heh, I just noticed that I can't remember anything from the first Gears of War game.

All I remember is that even though they have the word gear in the title, they had a disappointing lack of steampunk gremlin inventors :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Heh, I just noticed that I can't remember anything from the first Gears of War game.

The story was kind of nonsensical, anyway.  It also didn't explain a lot of stuff in-game.

It was almost like the game picks up midway through a story without giving its audience a heads up about what came before.

Guest Slinky

Finished Bound by Flame

I'd give it a 6 or so out of 10. I wasn't nearly as awful as a lot of the reviews where saying but it is fairly linear with a lot of corridor levels. 

Was the story any good? While I don't think I'd like it's combat system and I'm sure I would hate the endless corridors, I might still try it out once it hits the -75% sales.

Guest Slinky

That doesn't really answer my question :p

Well alright, DA's characters and dialogue were fine, but the story after the starting part was really generic and almost non-existent. And looking at Bound by Flame, good enough story would be the only thing which could make me pick up the game from a major sale.

BbF story is generic Ancient Evil Returns at first glance, but there are a few twists and turns. Dialogue is often political incorrect, main character is a helter-skelter brute/rogue, I find it most similar to a Black Company story.

I also appreciate this is one of the very few games where Elves as a race are not tree-hugging hippies (let alone pathetic slummers).

Two companions (lich + witch/Morrigan clone) are excellent and I wish they were fleshed out more. Others are... okay. There's one annoying, naieve young brat but you can call her out on it. Voice-over ranges from excellent to terrible.

The game was obviously rushed near the end, only one out of three endings for each path gets an epilogue while the rest just skips to credits. The game could have used an extra act, I suspect the publisher wanted to dish this out as quickly as possible to benefit from it being the only arrpeegee on PS4 (and it appears to have worked).

With a larger budget Cyanide/Spiders would already have developed the very big RPG that will dwarf them all.

Also a special mention for the music; it is frankly too good for vidya gaems.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

-snip-

The game was obviously rushed 

-snip-

I feel like that describes every Spiders game ever made.

How does this game compare to Mars: War Logs?  Obviously, the setting is completely different, but in terms of quality and depth of the combat system.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸