No romances confirmed

Honestly I am getting more and more worried about the roleplayaspect of the game. Before you flame hear me out.

If you want a spirutal succesor of IE games.. you will be measured by the big one no.matter what was in other IE games... and that is BG2. Which is easily one of the 3best games ever. Or Planscape.. also in my personal top5 ever.. this are big shoes to fill and the developers did so themselves.

Why is there romance in every rpg today... because of BG2 which without any grafical representation really made me care for my groupmates and be happy for them when they found happines together. Simply by great storytelling.

A game claiming to hit in the same direction should have the same character depth as Bg2 or Planscape. Show this new age games the power of good written interactions.

Also if you want to hit the fanbase this games for good reason still have... increade the roleplay aspect not decrase it. I would be happy with an rpg where i actually have to rest and eat to make exploring more interesting and inns useful.. banters about recrnt quests from the groupmates at the campfire stuff like that!

You can get a good tactical gameplay hack and slay or a big open world from countless AAA titles nowadays.

Graphics that give me flashbacks are not enough... the design looks awesome so far but it is honedtly not worth anything if I dont get a game that focused on rpg and tactic hard otherwise ... well it will be an generic title with a really nice graphics and big world... now here is what concerns me.

- half the classes seem totally like a generic mmo setup so far... which id maybe ok if there are special subclasses like bojntyhunter or so.

- combat skills for hunters etc sound lkke WoW tooltips ... this smells like hit magic button to do weird stuff and put it on cooldoen. Instead of potions trapsearching preperation and tactic

- no romance means one less way to bound and interact with my party and it just sedms like they are either lazy or fully aware that they will not reach viconcia lvl writting... both worries me

- this also mosf likely means no life and death fights between opposing party members.. no one running of and no relationship/romance between party members. I want group feeling so I hope I am wrong here

- instant crafting smells like easy over everything... why not gives mats to a blackdmith come back in 3 days so you can plan youf ecploration... also works well with chars getting tired snd a resting systrm. You could still make cookkng and stuff in the field instant while mightier items take more time.

- statpoint magic system dmg reminds me of WoW again... at least its not D3 weapon>all.

I like this company and still have high hopes but the latest news and showcases make me feel not very confident in the bounding with my party and tactical gameplay parts. It seems like they wanna avoid passages that are difgicult to write and get some fast paced cooldown based combat...

• Like 8

I'm actually a little surprised. Not disappointed, but surprised. I'm glad they're not including them just to tick off the check box. I like to imagine they wrote out their character's arcs and simply didn't feel that romance was an appropriate part of what they wanted to say with those characters.

• Like 11
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm actually a little surprised. Not disappointed, but surprised. I'm glad they're not including them just to tick off the check box. I like to imagine they wrote out their character's arcs and simply didn't feel that romance was an appropriate part of what they wanted to say with those characters.

That's what I hope too, that they went with what they felt fit the characters. 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The fervor of the anti-romance crowd is what makes this decision so annoying. I don't care about romances nearly as much as I hate seeing a roomful of three-year old twits get their way. 

How long until we get a troll romance mod?

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It is possible, of course.

Should we start taking bets on how long it takes for someone to mod romance into the game?

Probably not before Nexus poops out a nude mod.  But probably a hour or two if they had access to beta. 

The nude mod ALWAYS comes first, because priorities.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

QFT

It's pretty obvious, that Obsidian wants to make this game as good as they can. That is not the same as saying that they want to make it as appealing to everyone as they can.

If they feel like cramming in romances just to say "we have them" is like adding barbecue sauce to a cake, then good riddance to romances.

• Like 4

The fervor of the anti-romance crowd is what makes this decision so annoying. I don't care about romances nearly as much as I hate seeing a roomful of three-year old twits get their way. 

You said it.  I personally don't really care that much.  All evidence says we are playing a "blank slate" already (a character concept I am tired of seeing in story based RPG's) so forcing romance in there may not even work well cause face it... our character will have no real personality.  There is not even an indicator that we will get to make background choices that will have minor effects on the game such as a Hill Dwarf getting treated differently from a Forest Elf etc etc.  So yeah it doesn't bother me.

However.

If you asked me to vote in a simple poll no BS no nonsense, "Should romance options be included for the main character in Pillars of Eternity?"  Yes or No,  I would vote yes.  While I don't particularly care and may or may not try such a thing in game many many players DO care.  Alfiriel is also dead on correct.  BG2 is the king of the IE games and the benchmark most backers will be looking at.  BG2 had romances didn't it?  In fact BG2 was the game that started the whole RPG's should probably include a romance option thing on PC.  Obsidian baked it's own cake on this one I personally think they should perhaps have a slice. 

Meanwhile the idea that removing romance relationships from even being an option for the main character does not compute to "better and more in depth character relationships".  Again, I am sorry many romance haters seem to confuse one sided NPC's and bad writing with "romance is the problem" but no.... the problem is bad writing and bad NPC's.  Taking one possible relationship type totally out of the game for the main character actually eliminates an entire "character interaction" option from the game.  That is the opposite of "more in depth relationships with characters."

• Like 15

However.

If you asked me to vote in a simple poll no BS no nonsense, "Should romance options be included for the main character in Pillars of Eternity?"  Yes or No,  I would vote yes.  While I don't particularly care and may or may not try such a thing in game many many players DO care.  Alfiriel is also dead on correct.  BG2 is the king of the IE games and the benchmark most backers will be looking at.  BG2 had romances didn't it?  In fact BG2 was the game that started the whole RPG's should probably include a romance option thing on PC.  Obsidian baked it's own cake on this one I personally think they should perhaps have a slice. 

Meanwhile the idea that removing romance relationships from even being an option for the main character does not compute to "better and more in depth character relationships".  Again, I am sorry many romance haters seem to confuse one sided NPC's and bad writing with "romance is the problem" but no.... the problem is bad writing and bad NPC's.  Taking one possible relationship type totally out of the game for the main character actually eliminates an entire "character interaction" option from the game.  That is the opposite of "more in depth relationships with characters."

Absolutely spot on.

• Like 3

Its not bad that they did not put in romances if they trying to set a strong tone in the game. Romances themselves I prefer not the climax being purely about sexxors like the latest bioware games and first witcher where everyone you can romance is slag. Personally I think games that handled romance the best had the player not being a blank state or potrayed it through npcs. Planescape torment while technically you had a blank state the nameless one wasn't. Romance was handled well there because I loved how it was sort of like forbidden love. Nameless one being 1000 something years old and baby annah here. Its cute but can never see that love being fruitful, them being together like a dude marrying his cat. 

This one of my favorite video games romances.

However.

Absolutely spot on.

Not quite. Were there romances in the Icewind Dale series? No. I'd say then the idea is only half baked. Better no romance than a weakly implemented story line. Spend the resources on the remainder of the plot.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Not quite. Were there romances in the Icewind Dale series? No. I'd say then the idea is only half baked. Better no romance than a weakly implemented story line. Spend the resources on the remainder of the plot.

I do hope you're not implying that either of the Icewind Dale games had better plots than Baldur's Gate II? The IWDs were churned out in the quickest time possible, and in terms of plot, characterisation and companions are not much use as an example for anything.

EDIT: Sorry, Josh. :(

Edited by Kjaamor
  • Like 3

Don't look at it as removing a romance option, simply look at it as making characters with a little integrity and self respect who aren't just fodder for the protagonists depraved urges.

Oh and once again hahahahaha.

• Like 9

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If the devs feel like they don't want to write romances, it's better they don't. Look at Alpha Protocol, they were not very good and lo and behold, Chris Avellone didn't really want them in the first place. If developers feel motivated in writing romance options, then by all means, go ahead.

• Like 2

Laughing three year olds.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

And if their main byline had been "we are remaking a game just like Icewind Dale" and not said a word about Baldur's Gate or other good IE games that weren't just long drawn out combat puzzles I would be fine with that.  Coincidentally I also would not have backed them for even 1 dollar.

• Like 4

I'm just confused with this thread. I thought they implemented this forum so the community can interact with each other and the devs and can help to make the game really great. But besides the people who discuss the pro's and con's about having no romances in the game with valid arguments. I really don't get this war between the "promancer" (ehh...what?) and the...other guys(?). It really doesn't benefit the game and the work the devs are doing in any possible way...but congrats to the side which won...  

I think if Obs doesnt want romances in the game its their decision, because if they would force themselves to make them it would end in some crazy bioware stuff. I just really hope you can build some strong/interesting/clever bonds with your comrades.

• Like 2

I'm just confused with this thread. I thought they implemented this forum so the community can interact with each other and the devs and can help to make the game really great. But besides the people who discuss the pro's and con's about having no romances in the game with valid arguments. I really don't get this war between the "promancer" (ehh...what?) and the...other guys(?). It really doesn't benefit the game and the work the devs are doing in any possible way...but congrats to the side which won...  

Let+me+be+your+guide_9d26b6_3550133.jpg

• Like 3

MzpydUh.gif