It sounds like your issue is as much to do with digital as opposed to just Steam?

I'm not sure if I'd agree that "it's unnecessary" to be digital for a lot of these games.

A dislike of Steam doesn't mean a dislike of digital distribution.  Due to where I live I am unable to use a landline for my internet.  I'm forced to use wireless internet.  Here I pay AUS $50 per 6 gigabytes of internet usage (upload and download combined). Currently 25% of my Steam purchases are unplayable because Steam insists that they be updated before I can play them.  Turning off auto update doesn't mean they don't have to be updated, it simply means you decide when the update begins.  Steam still requires the update to be completed before the game can be played.  Due to the size of some of the updates, it would cost me two or three times the original purchase price to download these updates.  That is why I dislike Steam.  Not because it's digital distribution, but because of Steam's policies.

Other digital distribution platforms aren't as draconian in their update policies as Steam which means I can continue to use the product I payed for for as long as I like, when I like.

It sounds like your issue is as much to do with digital as opposed to just Steam?

I'm not sure if I'd agree that "it's unnecessary" to be digital for a lot of these games.

A dislike of Steam doesn't mean a dislike of digital distribution.  Due to where I live I am unable to use a landline for my internet.  I'm forced to use wireless internet.  Here I pay AUS $50 per 6 gigabytes of internet usage (upload and download combined). Currently 25% of my Steam purchases are unplayable because Steam insists that they be updated before I can play them.  Turning off auto update doesn't mean they don't have to be updated, it simply means you decide when the update begins.  Steam still requires the update to be completed before the game can be played.  Due to the size of some of the updates, it would cost me two or three times the original purchase price to download these updates.  That is why I dislike Steam.  Not because it's digital distribution, but because of Steam's policies.

Other digital distribution platforms aren't as draconian in their update policies as Steam which means I can continue to use the product I payed for for as long as I like, when I like.

I heard smoke signals are a good way to communicate in more rural areas, have you considered using that method as a data transport mechanism?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I heard smoke signals are a good way to communicate in more rural areas, have you considered using that method as a data transport mechanism?

Have you heard about all the fires here in Aus at the moment?  How many do you think were caused by smoke signal network overload?  :fdevil:

• Like 3

Have you heard about all the fires here in Aus at the moment?  How many do you think were caused by smoke signal network overload?  :fdevil:

:lol: funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There are lots of places I can access the internet from. Home isn't one of them. Origin, Uplay and perhaps Desura's client (I've never used their actual client so I can't say for certain on that one) doesn't lose login info like what Steam does. They seem to use a purer offline mode, whereas Steam tries to simulate being online with its offline mode. Essentially you must always be online to play a game on Steam, even if it's a simulated online. I would not be at all surprised that the reason why many of those who keep Steam in offline mode, but keep their computer hooked up to the internet anyways and don't have any problems with it is that it turns out Steam calls home in the background every once in a while, like an update check so that's how they keep their info. That's just speculation on my part.

Under normal circumstances when I have my computer at home, it is a pain in the butt to bring it into town and hook it up to install something. I hate doing it, but with games that use Origin or Uplay's DRM, I don't mind so much, because it is a one-and-done type deal. It's on my computer and it will always run at home. DRM-free is perfect, because I can just put it on a flash drive, install it at home and back it up onto disc. Steam on the other hand requires me to constantly bring my computer into town to play the games I own, which I can only do for a short period of time until it loses my info and doesn't let me play them until I bring my computer back in and log in.

If 3rd party companies insist on adding DRM to their games, the least they can do is put them across the different clients and use the respective DRM's associated with the clients rather than tie it into one, and if you happen to buy it on another, require us to log into 2 different clients at the same time. In the case of New Vegas, I would have happily bought it again on Uplay (and kept it) if it meant I was using that DRM client instead of Steam's. I could have finally been able to play it with my mods whenever I wanted to. Bethesda has no vested interest in a particular client. They haven't shelled out millions of dollars in a BethPlay client or are a business partner in Steam. If Valve closed down tomorrow, they could replace Steam CEG with another form or forms of DRM and have it back up and running as soon as it takes them to do it and get the legal stuff out of the way (assuming agreements with marketplaces are in place, or adding in the time it takes to negotiate those.)

Hopefully Valve just hurries up and gets a real offline mode so I can like them again and quit with the bitching.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I use Steam offline, truly offline, as in no ethernet cable hooked up to my laptop and I'm nowhere near a wifi hotspot so unless someone is beaming me data ninja style through some kind of secret hush hush connection there's no way I'm connected to the internet, regularly and have no problems.  I used to have problems with offline mode, namely I wouldn't be able to connect to Steam in offline mode if I didn't previously switch to offline mode while I still has access to the internet (which was retarded), but Valve fixed that something like 2 years ago and it's been smooth sailing for me ever since.  Sucks it doesn't work this well for everyone.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ah fair enough.  Since my games are always updated and I have a large cap, it's never been an issue for me.

From what I've played of Banner Saga I'm glad I backed at $50 so I can get the other 2 if/when they come out.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I use Steam offline, truly offline, as in no ethernet cable hooked up to my laptop and I'm nowhere near a wifi hotspot so unless someone is beaming me data ninja style through some kind of secret hush hush connection there's no way I'm connected to the internet, regularly and have no problems.  I used to have problems with offline mode, namely I wouldn't be able to connect to Steam in offline mode if I didn't previously switch to offline mode while I still has access to the internet (which was retarded), but Valve fixed that something like 2 years ago and it's been smooth sailing for me ever since.  Sucks it doesn't work this well for everyone.

It probably then depends on what bug or bugs you get hit with then initially. Who knows, they just need to overhaul it.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

La-Mulana 2

Sequel to La-Mulana, developed by the creators of the original

'nuff said really; if you liked the original and want more, they're offering

To The Death

Side-scrolling action/shooter game focusing on a vendetta between two warriors who killed each other, now trapped in what amounts to limbo

Video includes prototype gameplay; the split-screen concept for two players, each controlling one warrior racing toward the other, sounds intriguing

La-Mulana 2

Sequel to La-Mulana, developed by the creators of the original

'nuff said really; if you liked the original and want more, they're offering

Sweet.  La-Mulana was awesome.  I love me some Indiana Jones (the one with the Crystal Skulls not so much) and I love me some metroidvania, so naturally I love me some La-Mulana.  I will most definitely be pledging to this.    This will easily make it to the 200k initial goal, but hopefully it gets the half mil for mac and linux versions, or better yet the 800k for Evil Stages.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

To The Death

Side-scrolling action/shooter game focusing on a vendetta between two warriors who killed each other, now trapped in what amounts to limbo

Video includes prototype gameplay; the split-screen concept for two players, each controlling one warrior racing toward the other, sounds intriguing

I think they shot themselves in the foot with that animation style and showing gameplay while it still looks like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em.

I don't know. Might be bad, might be ridiculously awesome

Kickstarter to support AAA game Kingdom Come. Realistic RPG without magic and monsters:

You will not find any dragons, half-naked Elven warriors, or wizards in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. At no point will you have to collect seven pieces of a legendary magic staff to defeat an ancient evil bent on destroying the world with an army of demons. We think there are enough such games out there.

We want to bring you a strong story rooted in the height of the Middle Ages, brought to life in all its glory. So what is Kingdom Come: Deliverance? Think of it as Braveheart: The Game. Majestic castles, armored knights, large, open field battles, and political intrigue set in a vast, emergent world. We want to make the experience as authentic as possible – real-world locations, real castles that don’t look like something from Disneyland, period-accurate armors and costumes, combat and fencing systems designed in collaboration with the most knowledgeable, skillful swordsmen around, and a story based on actual, historic events.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

here is some promo video:

please help those guys.

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

real castles that don’t look like something from Disneyland

For the record, the Disneyland castles for Cinderella (multiple references including Moszna Castle, Château de Chaumont and Alcázar of Segovia) and Sleeping Beauty (heavily based on Neuschwanstein Castle) were based on real castles not just some flight of fancy.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^Indeed. Kickstarters need another sales pitch besides going the easy route of attempting to tear down successful/mainstream games. In the future of crowd funding they'll be attempting to tear down past successful Kickstarters. Besides, they might not have magic, but it's still yet another game in a Middle Age setting. Yawn.

• Like 2

real castles that don’t look like something from Disneyland

For the record, the Disneyland castles for Cinderella (multiple references including Moszna Castle, Château de Chaumont and Alcázar of Segovia) and Sleeping Beauty (heavily based on Neuschwanstein Castle) were based on real castles not just some flight of fancy.

Well with regards to the last one, the guy who comissioned that was pretty into flights of fancy, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cradle

First-person adventure/exploration game with RPG elements in a (sorry) fantasy world

Uses Cryengine, which may be the new Unity, and shows some basic elements of one of the five regions planned

I would imagine it cost a lot more for commercial releases than Unity. Looking on their site, They've got a royalty-only license available that takes 20% of revenues, or another non-specific with regards to price license available (and AAA.) It would probably be a better fit for FP's, but I can't see how it would be a better fit for say, a top-down, single screen or isometric RPG or adventure.