Can anyone blame them for accepting the deal? I sure as hell don't. Kickstarter is for getting things started. It can't sustain a company forever.

Yes, and Facebook is trying to stay relevant by spending like a drunken sailor. Hopefully the KS contributors still get their pledge rewards....

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Can anyone blame them for accepting the deal? I sure as hell don't. Kickstarter is for getting things started. It can't sustain a company forever.

Hence the name "Kickstarter".

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Plus, with other companies like Sony throwing their own hats in the VR ring a start-up company is going to have a hard time keeping up once the actual products start rolling out. Backing from Facebook may give them an extra edge once VR becomes a full war.

Facebook is not a company of grass-roots tech enthusiasts. Facebook is not a game tech company. Facebook has a history of caring about building user numbers, and nothing but building user numbers. People have made games for Facebook platforms before, and while it worked great for a while, they were stuck in a very unfortunate position when Facebook eventually changed the platform to better fit the social experience they were trying to build.

Don’t get me wrong, VR is not bad for social. In fact, I think social could become one of the biggest applications of VR. Being able to sit in a virtual living room and see your friend’s avatar? Business meetings? Virtual cinemas where you feel like you’re actually watching the movie with your friend who is seven time zones away?

But I don’t want to work with social, I want to work with games.

Fortunately, the rise of Oculus coincided with competitors emerging. None of them are perfect, but competition is a very good thing. If this means there will be more competition, and VR keeps getting better, I am going to be a very happy boy. I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook. Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me.

http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-reality-is-going-to-change-the-world/

Edited by Bester
  • Like 3
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Facebook is not a company of grass-roots tech enthusiasts. Facebook is not a game tech company. Facebook has a history of caring about building user numbers, and nothing but building user numbers. People have made games for Facebook platforms before, and while it worked great for a while, they were stuck in a very unfortunate position when Facebook eventually changed the platform to better fit the social experience they were trying to build.

Don’t get me wrong, VR is not bad for social. In fact, I think social could become one of the biggest applications of VR. Being able to sit in a virtual living room and see your friend’s avatar? Business meetings? Virtual cinemas where you feel like you’re actually watching the movie with your friend who is seven time zones away?

Fortunately, the rise of Oculus coincided with competitors emerging. None of them are perfect, but competition is a very good thing. If this means there will be more competition, and VR keeps getting better, I am going to be a very happy boy. I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook. Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me.

I agree with Notch's general sentiment ....but I would like to see him say "no " to joining a reputable company that offers you $2 Billion ....somehow I think he would suddenly find the cause of social media gaming more agreeable :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I agree with Notch's general sentiment ....but I would like to see him say "no " to joining a reputable company that offers you $2 Billion ....somehow I think he would suddenly find the cause of social media gaming more agreeable :yes:

As his earnings in last year only were over 130 million dollars, I would think that he could over look such offers like which Facebook did, where there was only 500 million dollars of cash and rest was Facebook's stocks that probably came with sale restrictions.

• Like 1

As his earnings in last year only were over 130 million dollars, I would think that he could over look such offers like which Facebook did, where there was only 500 million dollars of cash and rest was Facebook's stocks that probably came with sale restrictions.

Yep, 400 million real money and 1,6 billion monopoly money (facebook stock).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yep, 400 million real money and 1,6 billion monopoly money (facebook stock).

Personally speaking, l can't blame him for taking the offer, I know I would. While dancing.

• Like 2
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/381739996/dancers-of-war-a-third-person-action-video-game-fo

A Musical Beat 'Em Up from the creator of JOHNNY BRAVO, the founder of Depeche Mode, Yaz, & Erasure, plus AAA game veterans.

3rd person action game where, instead of various weapons of mass destruction, you have weaponized dance moves.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/381739996/dancers-of-war-a-third-person-action-video-game-fo

A Musical Beat 'Em Up from the creator of JOHNNY BRAVO, the founder of Depeche Mode, Yaz, & Erasure, plus AAA game veterans.

3rd person action game where, instead of various weapons of mass destruction, you have weaponized dance moves.

The guy from Depeche Mode is making a beat em up?  Will this finally be the game that answers the age old question:  People are peole so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The guy from Depeche Mode is making a beat em up?  Will this finally be the game that answers the age old question:  People are peole so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully?

I know some people hate it when people post replies that consist only of smilies, but ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...I haven't watched the KS video yet, but the still image is pretty funny.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The idea that Oculus wouldn't need any more money past the initial KS funds and the $75m investor injection they just got is laughable. Imagine if Apple had only $77m to work with. Or Pixar. People are also asking for a slice of that $2b, saying it is only fair; that's gorramn greed. Plain and simple.

They probably made him sign a clause forbidding him to pursue any VR technology development on his own with that money too. I hope Valve makes something, facebook's oculus is doomed.

... what? He's working for the company that is making VR tech. I assume you're talking about Carmack. One of Valve's top guys just left for Oculus, too. 

It would be in reference to the guy who got the $2b (if it's even a just one guy, I have no idea of the background behind this), not Carmack, who was just an employee. Is there even any news about what the original founders are doing? i.e. staying on in an active role?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

This must be a new life for Vince Clarke.

I just can't seem to get enough of the thought of a Depeche Mode beat-em-up.

He wasn't with them for long. If this gets funded, and there is a follow up game, he'll probably leave them for Yahoo! games.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Is there any possible chance they could put a code wheel like that in the collector's box, and simply add a few reasons to need it in the game?

*Yes I'd definitely want one of those.

(And for those that don't know what they are: Some notable PE and BG/BG2 precursors from SSI had them, and used them to ask the player questions that required a coded answer.  Obviously it's merely decorative now that the list of such questions ~with answers, would spread over night online if tried seriously. But it's still a pretty neat prop.)

Curse-1.jpg

Edited by Gizmo