Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Side Effects with Jude Law, Rooney Mara, Catherine Zeta Jones

Basic plot revolves around a wife (Mara) suffering depression after the recent release of her husband for insider trading.  It looks like it's going to be a fairly plodding commentary about the side effects of prescription drugs and then things change.   Worth watching.  :)

Paths of Glory

That ending has to be one of the most emotionally powerful that i have seen.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Conan was a generic dumb brute in Destroyer, in the latest Conan movie Conan actually defeated his nemesis using a clever trick.

Even Red Sonja movie is better than Conan the Destroyer. Both have Schwarzie and Sandahl Bergman, even.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Watched the first episode of the us tv show Elementary. It was... pretty bad. Then I tried the BBC version, Sherlock, which was a lot better. Still, I think from all Sherlock Holmes inspired fiction, I like House M.D. the most. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Return of the Living Dead. I have come to the conclusion that all 80s horror movies require a woman to show ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

White House Down.

I liked it quite a bit better than Olympus Has Fallen. Quite a bit. The action did get silly over the top towards the end (the car lawn chase in particular) but overall ... much better.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So being sick I've had a lot of time to watch TV shows (Continuum, Walking Dead, DS9) and kliche films - of which I decided to watch Pacific Rim, Conan (the new one) and Percy Jackson - and found it pretty hilarious that Ron Perlman was in all of them :)

Fortune favors the bald.

watched Capitalism again. I don't know what it is about Michael Moore and his movies, but I love watching them. they're so funny and yet so sincere. I like how he professes his love for his country in his work, and tries to change citizens' perception of all the crimes perpetrated by people in power in the US in the last decade, and openly condemns them.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Got around to seeing Tropa De Elite was a pretty enjoyable movie, well shot too. I did find it funny that everyone they decide to torture does know something.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's not so much as he's a liar, as he's rather fond of selective editing to post his point of view. I think he's mostly sincere about his beliefs, but he doesn't let reality interfere with them, and prefers to edit his films in such a way that mis-use quotes and footage in general to support those beliefs.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

that's exactly what I like about his movies, though  :disguise:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Got around to seeing Tropa De Elite was a pretty enjoyable movie, well shot too. I did find it funny that everyone they decide to torture does know something.

Watch the second movie as well, it tells more of the structural issues that Brazil has to face when trying to curb the drug-trade.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

ATM. Complete ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

the sequel, surprisingly, is even better. But fairly different.

These movies are amongst my personal all-time favourites. Great acting, good plot, good pacing, respects the watcher's intelligence.

And still a solid action film to boot. I don't think I have a bad thing to say about the film.

Except the music at the start of the first. Earsore.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It's not so much as he's a liar, as he's rather fond of selective editing to post his point of view. I think he's mostly sincere about his beliefs, but he doesn't let reality interfere with them, and prefers to edit his films in such a way that mis-use quotes and footage in general to support those beliefs.

As a being within humanity, Moore is not alone in this habit. :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The first thing I do after watching a michael moore film is look up where he fudged stuff. At the time I watched Capitalism: A Love Story, no one had refuted anything yet.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Watch the second movie as well, it tells more of the structural issues that Brazil has to face when trying to curb the drug-trade.

I rather enjoyed that bit where Neto and Matias see how broken the system is, with the cops acting like a gang. Will grab the second film tomorrow or so - hm, might even be on Youtube.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The first thing I do after watching a michael moore film is look up where he fudged stuff. At the time I watched Capitalism: A Love Story, no one had refuted anything yet.

I had watched Inside Job, Corporation and then Capitalism one after another. what surprised me was that all three movies kind of cross referenced each other. some of the stuff Moore talks about in his film is mentioned in those other films as well, so I have little reason to doubt him in this particular case

Walsingham said:

I don't see Moore getting back his popularity as he did before. He seems to be a product of the time, ten years ago. While he still has his fans, I haven't bothered watching anything after Fahrenheit 9/11 and moved on. Maybe because I'm apathetic to a lot of issues now. :/

"Apathy is death"

I think I left behind Michael Moore since I tend to find inflammatory rhetoric distasteful nowadays, he always assumes his position is the moral high ground and starts preaching from it. I think I would find him more appealing if he actually bothered to do documentaries presenting all angles from an issue, whenever a subject is clearly just or immoral there is no need for preaching as the story tells itself. But rather than actual reporting Michael Moore seems to just stand in front of places, screaming until he is asked to leave the premises and he is lead away with a smug look on his face as if that proved his point. If his point were that he is annoying then I guess he has reason to be smug.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif